new AVIA release date... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new AVIA release date...

vxaudio
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
anybody have a clue when this will be? I'm debating on buying the 1999 version (for $31 on ebay including shipping) or waiting until a new one comes out ( if its in the near future) I keep putting the current avia off because it only supports 5.1 and im not sure about HD. Any thoughts here? currently i just use the THX optimizer for picture and spl for speaker levels. does the avia make a big difference compared to this? I have a 55 inch sony lcd proj and 6.1 surround w/ sub. thanks

Woochifer
10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
If you want a more up to date set of tests from Ovation Software, they also created the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup disc. It lists for only $20, and I've seen it at Borders for $15. You could also go with Digital Video Essentials, which is just as comprehensive as Avia, but with a newer set of tests. Its main drawback is a difficult to navigate menu system.

The Avia disc is still fine, but at $40 MSRP, it's way too expensive considering that it came out in 1999 and lacks DTS audio tests and has no test signals encoded for 6.1 or "7.1" playback.

The THX Optimizer tests are almost useless IMO because the video tests do not include any color filters, and the audio tests I've tried can vary from disc to disc and are not especially accurate.

vxaudio
10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
do you own video essentials or the other one you mentioned? so you are saying that video essentials is as good as avia, but more up to date? if so, you said it is difficult to navigate, if i can understand denon and onkyo manuals do you think i can handle it? also, which of these teo would you recommend?

vxaudio
10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
i think that i have the sound and vision dvd..it came free when i bought my tv from cc. i could be totoally wrong though...ill have to check when i get home.

recoveryone
10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
do you own video essentials or the other one you mentioned? so you are saying that video essentials is as good as avia, but more up to date? if so, you said it is difficult to navigate, if i can understand denon and onkyo manuals do you think i can handle it? also, which of these teo would you recommend?
I do own the Video essentials disk (both) and it is very informative for a first time setup of your T.V. But as stated,the menu is very confussing and hard to get around if you want to skip around and just do certain test. Its best to just let it play and go though all the steps ( its only about a hour of your time lol).

Woochifer
10-11-2005, 07:36 PM

I actually own both of them. If you've never used a calibration DVD for your system, I would recommend the S&V disc. It's simple to use, has easy-to-follow tutorials, and it provides a nice basic set of system tests. The DVE disc has a more sophisticated set of video tests, using a three-color filter rather than the simple blue filter that the S&V disc uses. Plus, it includes DTS and 6.1 audio tests. But, as I said, the DVE disc is not easy to use, and whenever I recalibrate my system, I typically reach for the S&V disc first because I only need the basic tests (my TV is a non-HD analog set).