Well...I tried to like Sleater-Kinney... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well...I tried to like Sleater-Kinney...

nobody
10-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Some people drug me along to see them over the weekend. They're one of those bands I always hear people say good things about and that I'd like to like...I've tried to like. But, every time I hear them, it just doesn't do it for me. I thought maybe seeing them live would help me appreciate them. Nope...just did nothing for me. No groove whatsoever for a rock band. Too much herky jerky crap with little to distinguish one song from the next. I think if it weren't for their big lesbian following the bar would have been close to empty. Is that their appeal?

Am I the only one who thinks this band blows?

What am I missing?

Monkey Bones
10-11-2005, 09:16 AM
What am I missing?
Dig Me Out!

I don't know. One person can think a band is the savior of rock n roll while another thinks they blow, and they can both be right because music is totally subjective, regardless of the view of many critics. Hadn't heard about the big lesbian following, though. A couple of the ladies are or have been married to men, and one has a baby now I think, but of course that doesn't mean they don't have other sexual interests as well. I've always loved the guitar interplay, and the solid drumming once they got Janet, and the passion in their music. They can be a little relentless at times on record, and I guess maybe that's what they were when you saw them, but they do mix it up sometimes and can even occasionally pull off a nice power ballad or punky pop tune. But yeah, when they are in that full on amped up mode, and with no bass groove to lock on to, I can see that it wouldn't be too accessible for the noncommitted.

Dusty Chalk
10-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Well...I wouldn't say they "blow", but they don't resonate with me, neither.

MindGoneHaywire
10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't get the appeal either. Reminded me of trying to figure out what was the big deal with Guided By Voices. Sleater-Kinney is probably closer to stuff I'd figure to like more, since they rock, at least a bit, but if I want chick rock I'd rather listen to the Donnas.

BinFrog
10-12-2005, 06:05 AM
I have seen them open for Pearl Jam a bunch of times. I dunno, they are ok and all but I don't see the big deal.

Stone
10-12-2005, 11:14 AM
You do realize that you really like them, but you refuse to admit it because you're an IHES, right?

noddin0ff
10-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I just had an OT eureka moment. Couldn't figure out why Stone's avatar was so familiar. It's been bugging me for a while. Now I know. Cool album; gotta dig that CD out now. Thanks, Stone!

nobody
10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
You do realize that you really like them, but you refuse to admit it because you're an IHES, right?

I thought lesbian rock bands were supposed to be cool. Can't the world just stay the same? I'm really getting confused now. Better go drink a bunch of beer tonight...maybe a country bar would be good...no worries about cool there...although without the right boots, maybe no one will talk to me. Damn, this cool thing is hard. I quit.

Oh yeah...and I think we should all go play Hallowed Ground right now.