best 300-400$ stereo speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best 300-400$ stereo speakers

jc_bon2
10-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Im a newbie here and havent got any info about speakers, so if you would be kind enough pls explain to me the good and the bad about those speakers, I would really appreciate it,
thanx.

Ive been thinking about the Bose 301 speaker for quite some time now. is it the best in its price range???

GMichael
10-11-2005, 05:57 AM
Im a newbie here and havent got any info about speakers, so if you would be kind enough pls explain to me the good and the bad about those speakers, I would really appreciate it,
thanx.

Ive been thinking about the Bose 301 speaker for quite some time now. is it the best in its price range???

If you want book shelf speakers I'd go with the Infity Primus 150's or 160's. These are better than those Bose.
The KEF CODA 70's or Q1's are even better. Try this site http://www.accessories4less.com/amazing/brandcategories.asp?BC=KEF
or
http://www.kef.com/products/qseries/qseries11.asp

If you can work with your hands there are a few kits on Parts Expres site worth assembling.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209

N. Abstentia
10-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Bose are nowhere near being 'the best' or even 'somewhat good' in that (or any) price range. Walk into any store that sells speakers and blindly point at something...that will sound better than Bose. Seriously.

In your price range I would look at Athena. Great speakers for the price and readily available. These will destroy any Bose and are probably the best deal out there right now:
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASB1&product_name=Audition%20AS-B1%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

kexodusc
10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Bose gets picked on a lot. Problem is, they deserve it. The 301's aren't a bad speaker, but they should only cost $100 or so. Bose is generally regarded as a "lifestyle" product. Meaning, you own it for the sake of saying you own Bose, not because they sound all that great.
Look at all those cheap Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, Kenwood etc, speakers out there. They come with pricetags up there too, and often sound worse than Bose to me.

I think Athena's AS-B1's sound about as good as the 301's, (okay, they're way better at soundstaging and imaging if you're going to set them up for that) $100 is a fair price on those. Not a bad place to start.

ToddL
10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
The Kef's that GMichael suggested are a great choice, also check out PSB's B25's(nice flat rockin speaker) and Klipsch's RB25's(very live, accoustic feel). And once again, any of these will crush those Bose.

Mark111867
10-11-2005, 08:57 AM
For $275 you can get a pair of B stock Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80's on E-Bay. Good luck.

Canadia507
10-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I second the CSW M80's - I was in the market for a relatively inexpensive pair of bookshelves and snagged a new pair off of ebay for 250 bucks. Considering CSW lists them as having a $500 retail value, that aint half bad. They sound great too - nice clean bass and they do go fairly low, down to 40hz for a bookshelf. The highs could be a little more pronounced, but for the price i'm not complaining.

And they're built like a tank too - if you're concerned about styling, these things look great in the maple or mahogany. Theyre also rather big for a bookshelf at 15 pounds each and around 18 inches tall. If you're looking for something smaller, the M60s or M50's, also by CSW, usually run about 100 bucks cheaper, and are almost half the size.

jc_bon2
10-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Can anyone compare the three................. thnx

KEF Q1 series

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Bowers&Wilkins DM 600 S3

which is the best among the three??? or is there a better pair of bookshelf than this three in this price range??

thnx.

pelly3s
10-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Well first I what kind of music do you listen to, and are you willing to buy used?

N. Abstentia
10-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah I'd put the Paradigm Studio's at the top of the list in that price range, just from my personal experience.

KEF Q1 series

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Bowers&Wilkins DM 600 S3

which is the best among the three??? or is there a better pair of bookshelf than this three in this price range??

thnx.

Woochifer
10-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Grab some CDs, go to a local audio dealer (find an independent dealer or local chain because national chains like BB and CC only carry a limited variety of speakers) and do some listening. The Bose 301 is actually one of Bose's better speakers for the money, but that's not saying much considering how overpriced the rest of their lineup is. The 301 has a lot of bass as it uses an 8" woofer (most other bookshelf speakers in this price class use a 6.5" driver), but having a lot of bass does not mean that it's accurate, and the speaker falters in the midrange and has bland sounding highs. Plus, its imaging capabilities can be unpredictable because of the direct/reflecting design that it uses (you need to carefully position it and account for the distance from the walls).

Have you actually listened to those speakers that you're interested in? That would be the place to start. You might also want to mix in some other brands like Klipsch, Paradigm, Energy, or Definitive Technology. Those speakers have a more aggressive sound than the B&W, Monitor Audio, or KEF models, and that might work for your preferences, or it might not. You won't know until you give a listen.

Florian
10-12-2005, 04:20 AM
The Bose 301 is actually one of Bose's better speakers for the money, but that's not saying much considering how overpriced the rest of their lineup is.
:D Thats so funny. On another note, what electronics do you have?

Bernd
10-12-2005, 05:01 AM
thanx.

Hi,
Just to add to your list. If you can stretch to it the Castle Richmond 3i is a very good speaker which will let you upgrade your electronics for sometime. You will also need to account for some decent stands.
Good Luck and let your ears decide.

Bernd

RoyY51
10-12-2005, 05:29 AM

KEF Q1 series

Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Bowers&Wilkins DM 600 S3

thnx.
I can't comment on the other two, but I own the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's and I am more than happy with their performance. From top to bottom, these are very neutral sounding speakers with a very cohesive blend between the tweeter and midwoof. And, with the right amplification, the bass response (42 hz) is incredible for a speaker this size.

I bought mine from DMC Electronics in Garden Grove, Ca. David, the owner, is willing to shave a little off the msrp. With the right negotiations, you should be able to purchase the speakers and the shipping charges for under $400.

cgII
10-12-2005, 06:56 AM
I've tried all three speakers that you posted above... I've personally never been a fan of KEF speakers, they sounded very lean when I tried them (though I believe that KeF created a new speaker lineup, the new Q line (iQ)). These might be worth looking into as I've already read some positive reviews on them.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I don't like B&W because I find the bass to be loose and the treble very bright.

The MonitorAudio B2's are, in my opinion, great speakers for the price. It all depends on the type of music you listen to, but these are great all rounders. Pair that up with a small rotel or cambridge audio amp and you'll be in for a treat.

Regards,

Chris

-----------------------------
My system:
JMLabChorus 707S
Roksan Kandy MkIII

JohnMichael
10-12-2005, 07:33 AM
I would like to recommend the NHT SB2. It will fit your price range, is neutral sounding, well built and looks nice. Also a used pair of NHT SuperOnes would be another nice choice.

jocko_nc
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
If you don't mind a project, DIY speakers can be great for the money. There are numerous examples around the "community" that are well designed and well tested. many are available as kits. You can get some great components for a decent price, the result can be very good.

I recently spent $215.00, plus another $40.00 for an improved crossover design, on a 6.5 2-way project. I already had nice cabinets, so that expense was covered. I wish more people could listen to these, they are that good. Seriously good. However, they ought be good. The components are top-notch and the design and layout is correct.

jocko

jc_bon2
01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
are there any other bookshelf that uses 8" woofer or above in this price range other than 301's, cause im really after the bass and these will be used as stereo music puposes.

thnx

Eric Z
01-18-2006, 09:37 AM
have you considered buying a separate subwoofer to take care of your low frequencies? i know that will increase the cost, but subwoofers are made to take care of the bass. there are some good speakers that have decent bass, however, not sure of any in your price range.

Dmax
01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Polks are pretty good and they have a special where they offer a free sub.

zepman1
01-18-2006, 12:24 PM
You would be better off in the long run not basing your purchase of bookshelf speakers on how much bass it can put out. Get bookshelf's within your price range (many of the ones already mentioned are good) that are as accurate and detailed as you can get. Don't make bass a priority because in the long run you will probably have towers and/or a subwoofer to take care of that.

Check out Parts Express and some of the Dayton subwoofers. I beleive the 10" can be had for around $125 and is well recommended. You could package that with a decent bookshelf for under $500 easy.

wabuskey
01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Human Speaker's Model 81s for $350 have an 8" woofer and real nice 1" tweeter. I've had a pair for about a month and I'm really enjoying them. They are made in a small shop in NH and can take 5 months or so after placing an order. Well worth the wait though.

bjornb17
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
If you want book shelf speakers I'd go with the Infity Primus 150's or 160's. These are better than those Bose.
The KEF CODA 70's or Q1's are even better. Try this site http://www.accessories4less.com/amazing/brandcategories.asp?BC=KEF
or
http://www.kef.com/products/qseries/qseries11.asp

If you can work with your hands there are a few kits on Parts Expres site worth assembling.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=209

right now at circuit city, he can get a pair of Beta 20s for $300 + tax. sounds like a winner to me :)

Garth
01-21-2006, 02:06 PM
thanx.

If you really like Bose 301's...... get some good used ones. The series I , II or III are all excellent and can be had in excellent shape from Ebay. The older Bose really outshines the newer stuff in every way . If you really want to get a great set, try the 601 series II or III , these are floor standing models , and they have a wonderful soundstage which I have yet to find equal ...... in my opinion of course.

Everyone hears differently though ..... so take all advice with a grain of salt :)
You have no one to please but yourself.

Good luck , Garth

bjornb17
01-21-2006, 11:01 PM
If you really like Bose 301's...... get some good used ones. The series I , II or III are all excellent and can be had in excellent shape from Ebay. The older Bose really outshines the newer stuff in every way . If you really want to get a great set, try the 601 series II or III , these are floor standing models , and they have a wonderful soundstage which I have yet to find equal ...... in my opinion of course.

Everyone hears differently though ..... so take all advice with a grain of salt :)
You have no one to please but yourself.

Good luck , Garth

Uh oh, you said the B word :o