Vertical Tracking Angle [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Tracking Angle

gillsev
10-09-2005, 07:37 AM
I just bought a Denon DP 62L with Audio Technica AT 120E cartridge. I am quite happy with it except for the vertical tracking angle. As you can see in the picture that the tonearm is not exactly parallel to the record during play mode. It is tracking just a tad higher (which is about the thickness of its record mat) than it should. I mean, is this really a big deal?? All my LPs just sound good, and I even tested a semi warped record that my previous Dual 701 couldn't track well enough. But with the Denon's Q-Damping (Dynamic Servo Tracer) feature, it tracked it flawlessly without any obvious fluttering in the music which I heard from my 701.

I tried adjusting the VTA height according to the manual by loosening the 2 screws at the rear base of the tonearm, but to no avail. It is still stuck and won't budge. And I don't want to apply excessive force on the delicate tonearm for fear of creating more damage. Should I really work on this, or just leave it as it is? Thanks for your input.

JohnMichael
10-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I just bought a Denon DP 62L with Audio Technica AT 120E cartridge. I am quite happy with it except for the vertical tracking angle. As you can see in the picture that the tonearm is not exactly parallel to the record during play mode. It is tracking just a tad higher (which is about the thickness of its record mat) than it should. I mean, is this really a big deal?? All my LPs just sound good, and I even tested a semi warped record that my previous Dual 701 couldn't track well enough. But with the Denon's Q-Damping (Dynamic Servo Tracer) feature, it tracked it flawlessly without any obvious fluttering in the music which I heard from my 701.

I tried adjusting the VTA height according to the manual by loosening the 2 screws at the rear base of the tonearm, but to no avail. It is still stuck and won't budge. And I don't want to apply excessive force on the delicate tonearm for fear of creating more damage. Should I really work on this, or just leave it as it is? Thanks for your input.

If you enjoy the sound and have no obvious distortion I would say leave it alone. VTA changes a little bit with the difference in thickness of individual records. Also a lot of folks recomend the tonearm to be a little lower in the rear for better tracking like is shown in your picture. That is how I have my tonearm set using spacers for my tonearm. It certainly would not be worth any damage to the arm for a small change in sound if it already sounds good to you.

JohnMichael
10-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Another thought I had is that it looks like a fairly thick mat on the turntable and you might be able to buy a thinner mat for a change in VTA. I do know some automatic turntables had openings in the mat for optical sensors and if your table does not you might want to try a thinner mat like the Ringmat or others. Most dealers could tell you the thickness of their mats. Measure the thickness of your mat and then pick up a thinner one and give it a try.

squeegy200
10-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Another thought I had is that it looks like a fairly thick mat on the turntable and you might be able to buy a thinner mat for a change in VTA. I do know some automatic turntables had openings in the mat for optical sensors and if your table does not you might want to try a thinner mat like the Ringmat or others. Most dealers could tell you the thickness of their mats. Measure the thickness of your mat and then pick up a thinner one and give it a try.

John Micheal has a great suggestion. If the thinner mat produces audible differences, then you will know if the VTA adjustment is worth salvaging.

I would only be concerned if the VTA is too high. This position would seem to cause excessive wear. However, yours is in the opposite direction.

If it sounds good to you and there is not excessive wear on your precious vinyl, I would leave it alone.

gillsev
10-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all your comments guys! But I've managed to fix it anyway after obtaining a Service Manual on-line.

Instead of lifting it from the tonearm (which I did before), I lifted it from the Housing Assembly (which also lifted the arm rest with it). Now the tonearm is exactly parallel during play mode.

Better sound?? You bet, sounds much fuller this time!

thepogue
10-22-2005, 01:20 PM
what did you use for spacers?

Peace, Pogue

gillsev
10-23-2005, 10:06 AM
what did you use for spacers?

Peace, Pogue

No spacers. Just pull the whole assembly up then tighten the screws.

Bernd
10-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Good work. Now that you know how to-you can fine tune your TT.
Enjoy

Bernd