Armed tax collectors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Armed tax collectors?

hometheaterbug
10-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Are the police armed tax collectors? Here in my area we have regular sweeps to make sure everybody is caught up on thier various auto stickers (taxes) state/local.I couldn't help but question the other day what thier function really was, were they protecting me from the criminal element or were they making damn well sure I gave the state thier cut.As I pulled up to the stop at the"checkpoint", I immediatley thought "sh*t is my seatbelt on?".Another potential fine.It was what a relief.The seatbelt law is for my safety of coarse but how come if I refuse to wear it, they take money from me? Shouldn't they be concerned enough for my SAFETY to buy me a new SUV (safer) , steel pants and a crash helmet? Now that's the kind of compasion I appreciate.Afterall my safety is paramount , isn't it?No indeed, they don't offer any real help just another threat.

Well taxes are a necesary evil I know, it's a good thing I stay on the right side of the law and don't get involved unsavory businesses like gambling and bootlegging.If I did,I'd be a racateer like Al Capone, unless of course I worked for the state,then I'd be a just an employee and safe from the armed tax collectors who would glady drag me off to jail for not giving the state a cut.

I know , I'm selfish , we need to invest in education I guess.Which reminds me, my property taxes are coming due and I better pay or........

Nevermind

shokhead
10-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Strange. Where i work we cant get the cops to come and ticket the parents that run stop signs, double park,drive on the wrong side of the street,park in somebodys driveway. Oh,this is all at an Elem school. Why? Because most dont have tags and lic and the cops do not want that paper work. No sh$t but i stand out there at lunch time and watch this,every single day and i count around 8-10 everyday without tags. Oh and at least half do not own a baby seat and at this time they are picking up there kdg. Not a cop anywhere and i've stopped calling because i get the same"this is a bad time,shift change" crap. Tax money is somebodys monopoly money and we pay them to spend it and we are the banker.

hometheaterbug
10-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Ah, my favorite, the baby seat law.Everybody agrees that we should keep children safe, of course.But is the state's business to enforce it? The argument is that if you won't keep your baby safe, we'll make you.Sounds good on paper but it's the premise that is the problem.If the state can force you to have a baby seat in the name of safety, why not force you to put the baby in the trunk? The point of course is it's one more thing the state enforces, they can tell you to lock down the baby and yourself or else.Now I feel safe...another threat makes me feel good. Remember when the seatbelt hella ballu started , the advocates said "we will not stop people to check for seatbelt violations". Well Wash.DC just had a media blitz on TV warning people that they were having check point stops to check for seatbelts, complete with a stern voiced pitch man and stirring backround music."Click or ticket" thunders the add.Safety is on the march, and safety doesn't kiss you , it's armed; you best not resist if you know what's good for you.

trollgirl
10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
...this thread, right? Right. To reprise an earlier post in another thread, the police are not there for you, your safety or protection. In fact, courts have repeatedly ruled that the police are not responsible for the protection of any particular citizen. When I became aware of that, I began to acquire weapons, and learned to use them. The police generally come along later, and take a report, do they not? You've got to protect yourself.

Years ago, I lived in a small town, and walked from downtown to my job several blocks away. I got off at eleven PM, and never saw a cop as I walked thru residential areas, but as I reached the business areas near downtown, cops then became present. I realized then that cops are there for the protection of property, and generally not YOUR property, but that of those who control the town/city.

Laz

hometheaterbug
10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Laz

"the police are not there for you, your safety or protection."

No doubt about it laz. The police are there to call the coroner and conduct an investation after your untimely death.I agree.

It's the petty tyranny that makes my blood boil.All in the guise of SAFETY, it ain't safety it's a threat followed by a tax(ticket).If you resist the safety police, out comes the baton and your head and neck area are no longer safe.They'll beat you into submission and soon to you'll realize , that safety is the way to go.

Well I'm slowly settling in to to safety.I'm becoming as docile as a hindu cow.Safety in the airports, safety on the roads and safety with the written word .

"If you give your freedoms in the name of safety, soon you'll have niether" Ben Franklin

trollgirl
10-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Laz

"the police are not there for you, your safety or protection."

No doubt about it laz. The police are there to call the coroner and conduct an investation after your untimely death.I agree.

It's the petty tyranny that makes my blood boil.All in the guise of SAFETY, it ain't safety it's a threat followed by a tax(ticket).If you resist the safety police, out comes the baton and your head and neck area are no longer safe.They'll beat you into submission and soon to you'll realize , that safety is the way to go.

Well I'm slowly settling in to to safety.I'm becoming as docile as a hindu cow.Safety in the airports, safety on the roads and safety with the written word .

"If you give your freedoms in the name of safety, soon you'll have niether" Ben Franklin

When I have been stopped by cops, even if they have something on you, I have found that the best thing to do is tell the truth, and feign complete disinterest in the whole situation. I was once stopped in Texas, with items which were legal in Missouri, but they told me they could arrest me there. I did not argue or plead, but acted disinterested. After a time, they let me go. Remember that, like other predators, they are triggered by fear, flight, and combativeness.

Laz

piece-it pete
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
This is an interesting thread.

I believe we are becoming more docile, in the name of security. Bushs' (no not being political, maybe I should say the Feds') statement that the US armed services should be used in more common situations chilled me.

Not that I think the UNs' going to be sending in troops anytime soon :D .

Our attitude towards the cops should be something along the lines of respectful but firm - they work for us in theory, and we certainly pay their wages. After I got my hair cut and realised that made me more respectable in the eyes of the law, I saw "Proud to Serve" a little differently. They're supposed to serve us.

This isn't as true in bad neighborhoods, those cops are practically under siege, and much more cynical in my experience.

I hate to say this about my precious, beloved country - but you've got to act like you're a "party" member - see books like Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" or "I Choose Freedom" by Victor Kravchenko. (I particularly consider the 1st chapter of "Gulag" essential reading for anyone who cares. "I Choose Freedom" is an excellent followup to "Gulag", looking at the overall Soviet system from outside their penal system.)

Not that it's anywhere near that bad but I think the writings' on the wall. It's a matter of form, not degree. The founders tried to stop this from happening, they knew what folks did to surpress the masses (through their experience with slavery), but "We the People" are no longer verile enough to keep our freedom.

Pete

hometheaterbug
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Laz

Remember that, like other predators, they are triggered by fear, flight, and combativeness.

Interesting obeservation, have to try it next time the safety police give me the once over.
Pete

I believe we are becoming more docile, in the name of security. Bushs' (no not being political, maybe I should say the Feds') statement that the US armed services should be used in more common situations chilled me

[B]Don't be a fool Pete, your not on board with safety I can see that clearly.We will have to convnince you some more wether you like it or not or wether it's constitutional or not.WE decide what's good for you and you WILL like or...well you know the rest

Our attitude towards the cops should be something along the lines of respectful but firm - they work for us in theory, and we certainly pay their wages

100% on board with that Pete. I am pro law enfrocement don't get me wrong, it's the new safety laws that are becoming creepy and Orwellian.The Patriot Act is nice example.

The war on terror for example, the Al Queda boogy man is out there Pete but who is he?Where is he? He is omnipotent, "he is everyone and nobody"(like the Matrix..lol).The government must keep us safe from this boogy man and must take any and all steps to protect us from him.That's right, keep you safe.Yet they never actually name who this boogy man really is.It's this loose orginazation that's floating around the world with impunity.How convienient.If they're in the US, what group do they come from?"Look for suspicious behavior" says the Feds.What does that mean? Well everybody knows what/who it means but we can't say it now can we.If took intrest as a private citizen in safety and exposed (publicly) the groups I am talking about , it may become UNSAFE for you and your family right here in the good ol' US of A. These groups frown on being exposed for thier real agendas and activities.And in this case you'd be on your own, the safety police would not protect you.You'd slide into the biggot catagory and that of course is beneath contempt, even if what you say is all true and aids in keeping people safer.Sensiblities trump the truth these days, if you offend certain groups with unambigous truth and facts to back up what you say , the safety police will shrug and leave you to fend for yourself.Very dangerous.The media might even join in on the circus and every F word you ever used, girl you dated and every other aspect of your private life becomes public information.This discourages the average Joe from execising his right to free speech .......I think I'll keep my mouth shut now and play it safe :eek:

Watch what you say Pete, and watch what you do because safety is in charge now.If you think your free I ask you, what do you think would happen if you stood on a chair at the DMV and said "I hate Bush"(don't do this for the record).

BTW, I'm pro military,a vet myself.

MomurdA
10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Of course they are armed tax collectors. And dont forget about old-man-beaters, too. Did you seee that video in New Orleans from yesterday? Do they ever do anything but write tickets, or point guns at kids heads for underage drinking? Has a cop ever prevented a crime from happening? Like NWA said, a while ago, "F--- the police"
Someone mentioned 1984 above me, well i hate to say it but its here, and its not gov'mint, for the most part. Its corporations who know every single detail about your life. You think becauseyou erase cookies that your inet activity cant be traced? Your ISP has a logile of every site and every file you have ever looked at, ready to give to the feds at a moments notice. Corps have more rights than citizens in this country now. And i cant imagine how it is in 3rd world countries where nobody has a voice, where corporations own EVERYTHING in the country. even in this country financial institutions own a huge majority of property compared to individuals. Its very frightening, and neither political party does a damn thing about it because all they want is more money and more power.
[/true rant]

trollgirl
10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Of course they are armed tax collectors. And dont forget about old-man-beaters, too. Did you seee that video in New Orleans from yesterday? Do they ever do anything but write tickets, or point guns at kids heads for underage drinking? Has a cop ever prevented a crime from happening? Like NWA said, a while ago, "F--- the police"
Someone mentioned 1984 above me, well i hate to say it but its here, and its not gov'mint, for the most part. Its corporations who know every single detail about your life. You think becauseyou erase cookies that your inet activity cant be traced? Your ISP has a logile of every site and every file you have ever looked at, ready to give to the feds at a moments notice. Corps have more rights than citizens in this country now. And i cant imagine how it is in 3rd world countries where nobody has a voice, where corporations own EVERYTHING in the country. even in this country financial institutions own a huge majority of property compared to individuals. Its very frightening, and neither political party does a damn thing about it because all they want is more money and more power.
[/true rant]

Say on, brother!

Laz

hometheaterbug
10-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Your ISP has a logile of every site and every file you have ever looked at, ready to give to the feds at a moments notice. Corps have more rights than citizens in this country now.

I't wasn't my intention to make an anit-law enforcement thread.I'm pro law enforcement but the question is what kind of laws should we have and who enforces them? My point more or less is local cops are becoming the enforcement arm of petty tyrants bent on making the citizens comply with whatever do-good idea comes down the pike.The idea is that we are imbiciles and the great and kind government will swoop in to save us from our stupidity.It's a the comply or else do-good horse crap that has unintended consequences.I don't believe there is a giant conspiracy out there, no I think it's politicians who use feel-good ideas to get elected and could care less on who's rights they tromp on.That dirty work is left to the beat cop who has to hand you a safety tax(ticket).

Your ISP has a logile of every site and every file you have ever looked at, ready to give to the feds at a moments notice

I see you could care less about the war on terror trollgirl.The government needs a dossier on you and everyone else to keep us safe. :D I was listening to a broadcast the other day about the Patriot Act and who/what it's been used on since it became law.I can't remember the exact numbers now but it was something like 85% of the time it been used for drug related activity.We're bustin' the weed smokers of the world I guess and that makes me feel safe from terrorism, which is of course the purpose of the law in the first place.Once again Safety is watching us all and it's not smiling."The politicians should thank God the voters are ignorant"-Adolf Hitler.

"Power tends to corrupt; absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely" - Lord Acton

hermanv
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
It sure seems like the whole country is becoming a set of control freaks. Anything you want to do that is somehow different from what I do should clearly be illegal. WE will control what you wear, what you watch, what you read, and if we don't like your voting record we'll just deny you your voting rights.

Remember a concept called "citizens arrest" perfect for those untagged cars mentioned earlier, or for the local wanna be hood shoplifting a candy bar, people running stop signs, etc. Used to be we recognized that the citizens were the country; not any longer. Now we are told (ordered?) not to get involved, not to "interfere" with the police.

The FCC is a technological agency whose job was to set technical standards for broadcasters, not to be our morality watchdog. Now they are talking about "monitoring" the internet. Probably this very thread would be found to be against the interests of the "American People". I don't mean to pick on the FCC, they are but typical of bureaucrats who can not resist tampering with power.

Please pay very careful attention as to who you vote for while you still can. It is NOT a requirement to be a lawyer in order to be elected. It is not a requirement to be part of the moneyed elite, people who were not once CEO's can run and hold office, even people who were never movie stars.

shokhead
12-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Even somebody that sounds good until they are elected? Can they run also? Opps,they already fill all elected seats everywhere.

kexodusc
12-01-2005, 09:10 AM
I think a lot of these "safety laws" make good sense. The prudent person doesn't just have an obligation or duty of care to themselves, but to family, friends, and in some cases, society in general. Driving drunk endangers others. Not wearing a seatbelt puts your dependants at risk.
Enforcing these laws in that regard is a good thing, IMO. So if you're cheating the system, you deserve to pay fines (taxes).

What bugs me is the inconsistency and arbitrary determination of what is a "safety requirement" and what isn't. Seems some governments, (and in many cases just the courts, not the governments) make some pretty stupid determinations that extend authority where there authority should not lie. The FCC example above is a good one. How government agencies can claim 2nd hand smoking kills, and not "protect society" by banning this dreaded weapon outright is beyond me. Can't have it both ways, pick one and stick with it. Taxing the hell out of tobacco and then suing the tobacco companies is quite a hypocrissy. Isn't the government an accomplice to the criminals here?

We could go on about this kind of stuff for years. Nothing ever seems to get done, maybe it's just a necessary evil of living in a civil society?

hermanv
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Laws in the name of safety are probably a good thing, but shouldn't we address the biggest killers first?

I don't have the statistics but I doubt if motorcycle helmets reduced death more than would controlling coal dust polution or mercury poisoning. We don't even need to talk about social engineering to reduce deaths from starvation or freezing to death cause you can't afford to heat your home. Safety laws to prevent being neglected to death in an old age home might be nice.

We have the highest death rate due to medical errors in the industrialized world, thousands per year, safety laws there could be a good thing. Heavens forbid we somehow impact the ability of hospital corporations to profit from bad management.

We were damn quick to jump on that Korean company that was selling those jelled candies that caused chocking deaths in 3 children, but the US junk food industry is allowed to sell lard mixed with sugar and powerful perservatives by the ton, year after year.

The whole idea seems biased towards preying on the weak while the strong are allowed to dish out death with impunity. Really; how many mining deaths? Remeber Bophal? Union Carbide is still in business and doing fine.

It if was merely arbitrary that would be sad, but it seems to be a directed campain intentionally avoiding laws or punishment for those who profit handsomely from bad behavior

kexodusc
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
You mention some good points hermanv.

I think the question isn't whether we should focus on the "biggest killers" first, though. Government should be able to multi-task and address big and small issues.
Passing helmet legislation, if it saves 1 life, is easy and worth it. Really, if all I've got to worry about is wearing my helmet, things are pretty good (when I do get out on my bike). Besides, I've got a wicked paintjob on mine.
Something like this can be implemented much faster than reducing medical errors. That's a bit more difficult and time consuming, and even at full effort, wouldn't happen overnight. Guess it then becomes a balance of effectively allocating resources. Do the small easy things along the way, but make sure you set a reasonable time line to get the big stuff done too, then do it!