Philips 17" LCD TV/ Sony [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Philips 17" LCD TV/ Sony

sdkcg
01-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Was in Best Buy...saw these pieces....

Philips 17" Widescreen HD-Ready LCD TV Model: 17PF9936

Sony 600-Watt DVD Dream System with 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/SACD Changer Model: DAV-FC7

Seemed like nice pic/great sound for the space/money

I have an apartment...livingroom dimensions are roughly 15 x 13, so the compactness of these components are a plus...

How is the quality?
Is 17" too small?

Any recommendations are welcomed....feedback appreciated...

Thanx

recoveryone
01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Was in Best Buy...saw these pieces....

Philips 17" Widescreen HD-Ready LCD TV Model: 17PF9936

Sony 600-Watt DVD Dream System with 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/SACD Changer Model: DAV-FC7

Seemed like nice pic/great sound for the space/money

I have an apartment...livingroom dimensions are roughly 15 x 13, so the compactness of these components are a plus...

How is the quality?
Is 17" too small?

Any recommendations are welcomed....feedback appreciated...

Thanx

IMHO 17" is just toooooooooooooooo small I would go for at least a 27". I have a 19" in the bedroom and it like night and day compared to the 55" downstairs. Even for a WS 17" just won't give you a HT feel. Both my desktops have 17" screens, just to give you a feel on the size

woodman
01-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Unless you're planning on a viewing distance (eyeballs to screen) of less than about 2 feet, a 17" screen - "widescreen" or not, is just too damned small to even consider, IMO. Such a screen is only suitable for "up close and personal" viewing.

You say you want feedback on the two choices? Let me sum it up in just one big word ... FUGGITABOUDIT! I would not personally buy either of those two choices, based upon my extensive experience working on these products - not the specific models (since they're new) but my experience with Philips and Sony - neither of which I have much admiration for.

I urge you to do some more research - ask more questions, here and elsewhere - and consider some other alternative choices. But whatever you do, get a bigger TV screen than 17" or 20". At the very least, a 27" as recoveryone suggested.