Quad 11L Monitors [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quad 11L Monitors

Mtsnowboarder
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Greetings All,

I am thinking about making a purchase of these Quad 11L Monitors, and using a Jolida 1501RC Integrated Hybrid Amp to power them. The amp is both tubed and solid state. Just wanted to get any thoughts that anyone might have on this combo. The monitors get rave reviews here on AudioReview.

Thanks very much.....

Kevin.

Florian
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Those Quads look quite nice indeed. I think it would fit quite well, what stands do you want to use?

-Flo

<table class="main-text" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="100%">Drivers</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Bass</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">5", 125mm KEVLAR</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Mid</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">n/a</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Tweeter</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">25mm Textile dome</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Recommended Maximum Amplifier power per channel</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">150w</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Nominal Impedance</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">6ohm (suitable for use with 8ohm amplifiers)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Sensitivity (1w @ 1m)</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">86dB</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Frequency Response</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">45Hz-24kHz</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">H.F. response limit</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">43kHz</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">X-over point</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">2.2kHz</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Frequency Fb</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">55Hz</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Height</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">310mm + 15mm plinth</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Width</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">190mm</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="50%">Depth</td> <td valign="top" width="50%">243mm</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Mtsnowboarder
10-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Florian,

Well I purchased the 11L's this afternoon. Can' wait to get them next week. I am still lookng for a pair of stands. Any thoughts about what might work with these monitors? Dimensions are 12.8 H x 7.5 W x 9.5 D.

Thanks...

Kevin.

Florian
10-08-2005, 07:10 AM
I would check out these at Partsexpress. Look nice and solid and have a price that matches the Quads. I found some great ones on audiogon but they are 250 bucks which is a bit much. But check out the link below. I would recommend that you add a wooden board below the plate to the floor. This increases the bass response from monitors. Place them freely and feed them well with good cabling. Let the journey into High End realms begin!

Enjoy

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=240-764&DID=7&raid=45&rak=240-764

Kaboom
10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
mmmmm i'm going to be the dissonant note here.
I was rather unimpressed when i listened to them, specially with the soundstaging. quite wide, but totally muddled up. somewhat rolled off trebble and very, very meagre bass. The midrange was very nice and musical though.
Cheers!

2bluechris
11-18-2005, 03:45 AM
I agree with Kaboom about the good aspects and the mediocre aspects of the 11Ls sound . The slightly larger Quad 12L has all the good parts of 11Ls sound and less roll-off of treble - better extension and without any annoying peak/dome resonance . The 12L has more bass than the 11L and quite enough for some music styles and various craftily mixed or mastered popular recordings , though it loses control in the bass if driven very hard , or when presented with the very lowest pitched notes that are more often still present in recordings of Orchestral Classical music and most large Organ recordings .
Quad's small floorstanding model - 21L - has better bass extension and control for Classical music and Organ , etc ... but will not play well to headbanger volume levels , but is fine in small to medium sized rooms . The Quad 22L floorstander goes louder in the bass , but its bass sounds a little behind the pace of the rest of the music to me - it is not nimble , but some listeners may like it , hence listen carefully and with some of all the music recordings/types you expect a speaker to work with . The 11l seems to me to be in the Quad range specifically for people who demand very small speakers as priority over other matters , and who want a simple clear sound when listening to favorite popular music styles . With Classical music the 11L won't do justice to anything larger than a String Quartet or a reduced dynamics solo piano piece . sorry , Chris .

Duds
11-18-2005, 07:29 AM
The Von Schweikert VR1's. Quite the amazing speaker, i'm being biased here since I am a new owner of them!! I don't even have them broekn in completely yet (they recommend 100 hours) but what I hear so far is stunning. Of course I went from a pair of Infinity towers to the VR1's, so obviously I was going to hear improvements.

Not only do they sound great, but the build quality is top notch, and the african hazelwood finish is beautiful.

Greetings All,

I am thinking about making a purchase of these Quad 11L Monitors, and using a Jolida 1501RC Integrated Hybrid Amp to power them. The amp is both tubed and solid state. Just wanted to get any thoughts that anyone might have on this combo. The monitors get rave reviews here on AudioReview.

Thanks very much.....

Kevin.

braminator
09-05-2006, 07:47 AM
The Jolida 1501rc is awsome. I am using it in my bedroom for 2channel stereo with Usher x719s. It amazes me everyday that I listen to it.

audio_dude
09-05-2006, 02:29 PM
hmm, just a 5 inch woofer? my paradigm atoms have that! well, not kevlar, but who cares, i get nice bass, no treble roll off

and best of all, soon i'm going to trade them up for the mini-monitors!