I be liking Tool-Lateralus [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I be liking Tool-Lateralus

3-LockBox
10-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Wow, did this one fly under my radar or what?

No wonder you guys never talked about Tool, because its old stuff. But, I could care less, it good. I'm definately going to be picking up another release from these guys....and A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms is a real grower, too.

Any recs on what should be the next Tool/Perfect Circle purchase?

DaHaq
10-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Definitely get Aenima. Its a more uneven record than Lateralus, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily a bad thing. Some amazing songs spaced with a lot of cool little novelty tracks. Plus, the cover is great, as it has interchangable pictures that move when you tilt the case.

Dusty Chalk
10-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah, Aenima. He's right about it not being as consistent, and that not necessarily being a bad thing. I like both, but for different reasons.

vxaudio
10-06-2005, 10:15 PM
one of my favs is nine inch nails , the fragile. it is very very well produced and will make your speakers work bigtime. you might already know this, but just a thought

3-LockBox
10-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Definitely get Aenima. Its a more uneven record than Lateralus, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily a bad thing. Some amazing songs spaced with a lot of cool little novelty tracks. Plus, the cover is great, as it has interchangable pictures that move when you tilt the case.

I prolly will get Aenima

Say, you're from Everett, WA...I'm up here just north of Bellingham.

Have heard A Perfect Circle?

DaHaq
10-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Heh, I'm actually in Arlington now. Where north of Bellingham are you? Birch Bay, Blaine, way out in Glacier? ;D
I've heard A Perfect Circle, I guess to me they just kinda sound like Tool-Lite. But, I'll admit I haven't really listened to anything besides what they play on the radio. As the poster above mentioned, Nine Inch Nails is great, I have all of their studio albums and more. I just saw them live at Key Arena a couple weeks ago and it was about the most energetic, amazing performance i've ever seen. Trent Reznor was almost like an evil Freddy Mercury on stage.

Duds
10-07-2005, 04:34 AM
But not many hear are into them, a few are, but most arent. They are my favorite band by far and have been for a long long time now. You cant go wrong with any Tool album in my opinion. Aenima is great, so are Undertow and their first EP called Opiate. Opiate and Undertow are a little different then Aenima and LAteralus though. Opiate and Undertow are a little more, for lack of a better word, angry?

A Perfect Circle have thre cds, Mer De Noms, Thirteenth Step, and Emotive. Emotive is an album of cover tunes, including Lennon's "Imagine", Zeppelin's "When the levee breaks" , Black Flag's "Gimmie gimmie gimmie", Gaye's "What's going on" etc. Even though Maynard does vocals for both bands, dont expect the same musically. I love both bands though.

No wonder you guys never talked about Tool, because its old stuff. But, I could care less, it good. I'm definately going to be picking up another release from these guys....and A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms is a real grower, too.

-Jar-
10-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Heh, I'm actually in Arlington now. Where north of Bellingham are you? Birch Bay, Blaine, way out in Glacier? ;D
I've heard A Perfect Circle, I guess to me they just kinda sound like Tool-Lite. But, I'll admit I haven't really listened to anything besides what they play on the radio. As the poster above mentioned, Nine Inch Nails is great, I have all of their studio albums and more. I just saw them live at Key Arena a couple weeks ago and it was about the most energetic, amazing performance i've ever seen. Trent Reznor was almost like an evil Freddy Mercury on stage.

I'm going to see NIN on Sunday. Sounds like it should be a great show w/ QOTSA and Autolux. It's been almost 10 years since I last saw NIN so I'm looking forward to it. QOTSA always rocks too.

-jar

Duds
10-07-2005, 05:26 AM
They canceled the Albany, NY date. Totally sucks, will be a hell of a show

I'm going to see NIN on Sunday. Sounds like it should be a great show w/ QOTSA and Autolux. It's been almost 10 years since I last saw NIN so I'm looking forward to it. QOTSA always rocks too.

-jar

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2005, 05:29 AM
You know, Tool is one of those bands where I've picked up their CD on several occasions, carried it around the store for a while and then put it back on the shelf to make room in the wallet for other purchases. I don't know why I've never just taken the plunge to purchase.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate those previous decisions based on recent discussions here.

Duds
10-07-2005, 06:11 AM
From reading some of your posts, i would recommend Lateralus and Aenima to you way before Undertow and Opiate. They seem to be more your flavor!! hope you enjoy them!!

You know, Tool is one of those bands where I've picked up their CD on several occasions, carried it around the store for a while and then put it back on the shelf to make room in the wallet for other purchases. I don't know why I've never just taken the plunge to purchase.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate those previous decisions based on recent discussions here.

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2005, 06:34 AM
From reading some of your posts, i would recommend Lateralus and Aenima to you way before Undertow and Opiate. They seem to be more your flavor!! hope you enjoy them!!

Thanks for the rec Duds. I think that one of the reasons that I've held off on this band was just not knowing enough about them to know where to start.

Now I know. :)

As for APC...I loved Thirteen Steps. Hated Emotive. Haven't heard their first disk. Does that information change the Tool recs at all?

Duds
10-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Most welcome!! Hopefully there will be a new Tool fan in the crowd!

Thanks for the rec Duds. I think that one of the reasons that I've held off on this band was just not knowing enough about them to know where to start.

As for APC...I loved Thirteen Steps. Hated Emotive. Haven't heard their first disk. Does that change the Tool recs at all?

JSE
10-07-2005, 07:13 AM

As for APC...I loved Thirteen Steps. Hated Emotive. Haven't heard their first disk. Does that information change the Tool recs at all?

Try them out. You will enjoy. Like Duds said, get Lateralus and Aenima to start with and then work into Opiate and Undertow.

And defnitely get APC's Mer De Noms. It's a great album with several stand out tracks. To me, it's much much better than Thirteen Steps. Thirteen steps just got a little to "commercial" to me. And that's not the normal Maynard.

Duds
10-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey FA,

I missed the last part of your post. I love 13th step too, great album in my opinion. I wasnt a big fan of Emotive either, but Mer De noms is great too. Definitely pick it up!!!

I'd still recommend Aenima and Lateralus to you though!! Enjoy!

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey FA,

I missed the last part of your post. !

You were responding to me as I was editing and adding in that last part. See what happens when you're efficient? :D

BRANDONH
10-07-2005, 08:38 AM

I was thinking about getting it on vinyl. (my drug of choice)
Is it worth the 35.00 they are asking?

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2337365

Duds
10-07-2005, 09:00 AM
they have signed copies on the tool website. just an fyi

I was thinking about getting it on vinyl. (my drug of choice)
Is it worth the 35.00 they are asking?

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2337365

DaHaq
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
http://static.flickr.com/27/36778381_ade84715f6_o.jpg

Damn, that looks like quite a package, picture discs even. Too bad picture discs tend not to have the best sound quality, but I guess that's probably not the point here anyway. Not sure I'd be willing to plop down $35 for it, as I prefer to accumulate my vinyl in the $1-2 dollar range at used record shops. I will admit I payed full price for a few smashing pumpkins LPs, but they're my favorite 90s band ;D

3-LockBox
10-07-2005, 06:34 PM

I guess I was just out of the loop when these bands (like NIN) were hap'nin. But that's me...I came across a lot of stuff here at RR, and a lot of it a few years after the fact, but hey, better late than never. Have you heard the new NIN?

A Perfect Circle is really growing on me though, I like it more with each listen.

BTW: I'm in Ferndale.

3-LockBox
10-07-2005, 06:38 PM

Me too...and now its getting max rotation this week. If you like Opeth at all, then Tool should be right up your alley.

Geoffcin
10-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Well, I want to thank you guys for reminding me how much I like my old Tool CD's. The only problem is that it's got me a bit angryer than usual, and I'm not suffering the fools as well as I used to. Tool, NIN, Godsmack, and others were my drug of choice back in my "first person shooter days" (Doom/Quake/Halo) I think you need that kind of outlet if your planning on listening to these groups with any regularity.

kexodusc
10-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Tool is great, no question about it. One of the few "mainstream" hard-rock/metal type outfits I can get into. Loads of talent. I think the difference between these guys and bands like Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater is that they were smart enough to package the dark-artsy image with their music too.
I don't have a favorite Tool album, they're all quite good in different ways.

Geoffcin
10-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Tool is great, no question about it. One of the few "mainstream" hard-rock/metal type outfits I can get into. Loads of talent. I think the difference between these guys and bands like Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater is that they were smart enough to package the dark-artsy image with their music too.
I don't have a favorite Tool album, they're all quite good in different ways.

Both disturbing and brilliant. The one for Prison Sex is really freaky...

Dusty Chalk
10-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Well, I want to thank you guys for reminding me how much I like my old Tool CD's. The only problem is that it's got me a bit angryer than usual, and I'm not suffering the fools as well as I used to. Tool, NIN, Godsmack, and others were my drug of choice back in my "first person shooter days" (Doom/Quake/Halo) I think you need that kind of outlet if your planning on listening to these groups with any regularity.So...no driving?

vxaudio
10-09-2005, 03:34 PM
as I am a pretty big NIN fan, I was a little disappointed in their latest release. The fragile is top of the list. Also Their live DVD is incredible. I have the DD version and its awesome. if you play it at reference level is goes into the 120 dB's. Almost makes me think reznor made the soundtrack louder on purpose some it would be like you were there. I highly recommend it. Their is a corresponding liove cd also, but a few ogf the songs on the dvd are miossing. also the dvd has alot of hidden stuff like about 3 or 4 extra live songs with marliyn manson. if anybody has the dvd and wants to know how to get to these hidden tracks, look online b/c its pretty com[plicated.