The Pioneer VSX-815K is impressive! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Pioneer VSX-815K is impressive!

nick4433
10-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi gang, there has been a great drain on my time lately so I could not post much here but this is something I had to share with you all.
I semi retired my Proton preamp to a smaller room as I was focussing on putting something new in the bonus room which has room for a 6.1 setup. I was eyeing the Outlaw 990 and thought it would give me everything under a grand so I was all set in purchasing the OUtlaw.
I decided to try the 815 because I had tried earlier Pioneers and was happy with their performance so when I read the specs on the 815 I was really impressed. I was also encouraged after reading the review on audioholics and was further impressed and I promptly went to Best Buy and got one for $249 after some coupon deal.
This receiver weighs around 21 lbs. so I have to question it's amplification capabilities but I was interested in the preamp portion so that was moot. I connected the receiver to my amps and it was dead quiet till it reached 15 on the dial but then I would get deaf before I reached that point anyways.
If you are an OSD person then this receiver IS NOT for you. All adjustments have to be made on the small display screen which I did not find problematic at all. I had the system setup as 6.1, connected the mic that came with it and let the auto MCACC loose and let it do it's thing and relaxed. After about many bursts and what not, the system was ready to go.
The new Pioneers sounded much refined than their older siblings and had more clarity about them. The 815 offered MCACC with EQ and the EQ has custom 1 & 2 settings for further sound manipulations to your liking. However, I was simply impressed with the Auto MCACC settings and was surprised what this $250 receiver did as a prepro. I heard CD after CD from Sting to Steely Dan to Dire Straits to Diana Krall and what I heard was clean, transparent sound for the most part. I had my speakers set to 'Large' and the SW to 'Plus' and the limited EQ did wonders to the Bass. It was sharp and tight with no boominess at all. The sound on the earlier Pioneers felt bright and punchy but the 815 was very smooth but not dull at all. It just felt right.
It did equal justice to movies like Jurassic park, AOTC and Amadeus alike and I watched Gladiator all over again. DD-EX and DTS-ES were excellent with some space for the 'Back' speaker behind the main couch but the EQ did an excellent job with speaker distances and I got pretty similar experiences from sitting at different locations.
I still don't know how PL-IIx works because I feel for PL-IIx I should have a 7.1 setup instead of a 6.1 but 6.1 is what I will be limited to for some time to come.
I might put up the Outlaw next to this Pioneer and see what comes out of it but I am wondering if I should go through the trouble given the fact that I really find this little receiver overacheiving as a prepro.
Anyway, thought I'd share this with the gang here and see what you felt.

Geoffcin
10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Don't forget to post your review in the review section.

albacora14
10-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Excellent, Pioneer receivers sound better than the other ones (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz), those Pioneers, have more punch and crisp details highs,
Can you access to treble, bass, loudness and midnight, when you are in a DSP mode or DD or DTS?
I have the the VSX-D514 and the VSX-D812 and I can do this ONLY in stereo (analog or digital)

recoveryone
10-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Excellent, Pioneer receivers sound better than the other ones (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz), those Pioneers, have more punch and crisp details highs,
Can you access to treble, bass, loudness and midnight, when you are in a DSP mode or DD or DTS?
I have the the VSX-D514 and the VSX-D812 and I can do this ONLY in stereo (analog or digital)
Abacora, I don't think you can access the bass or treble in any DSP mode or in digital mode. These setting are pre-made to have the sound effect that they give you as a DSP. As for digital input (Toslink..) is made to give you the pure sound the way the artist/sound enginer designed it to be. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I never heard of any AVR being able to use the bass/treble in any DSP/digital( DD/DTS/DPL/DPLII) mode. Now the 5 channel stereo mode may offer it (Pioneer DSP) but I never tried. For the loudness and midnight mode, Yes you can imploy these as they do not change the bass/treble settings They just enhance the dynamic effect.

EdwardGein
10-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I have a Denon 3801 and I am more then satisfied with it. Why do you say, I'm not saying you're wrong, that Pioneer receivers sound better- please cite actual model numbers that you think sound better then Denon and what specifically sounds better, not technical gobbligook- IE, do you think CD's sound better, do DVDs sound better, does TV sound better. How exactly does it sound better- is there more seperateness, crispness, etc. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here as I always try to better myself for future purchases, so please state why they sound better. Thanks

recoveryone
10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a Denon 3801 and I am more then satisfied with it. Why do you say, I'm not saying you're wrong, that Pioneer receivers sound better- please cite actual model numbers that you think sound better then Denon and what specifically sounds better, not technical gobbligook- IE, do you think CD's sound better, do DVDs sound better, does TV sound better. How exactly does it sound better- is there more seperateness, crispness, etc. I'm not trying to put you on the defensive here as I always try to better myself for future purchases, so please state why they sound better. Thanks
Ed, I wouldn't touch that with a 100 foot pole lol, we all know that its a personal preference or taste when it comes to which AVR/AMP sounds better.

albacora14
10-10-2005, 07:54 PM

Hi Im so fan of Denon!!!
in fact, I have the AVR-1804... and audiophile friend of mine have the AVR-3802, and we tested and compared with the Pioneer VSX-D812 and VSX-D514, using a JBL Studio monitor 4435 the Definitive Technlogy BP-10, BP-8, and with the Northridge E80
as for the main music and movies sounds terrific, with punch and energy you feel it alive, with body and consitence, more crispy and detailed, brilliant, with smooth bass, and yes actually you have more separate stereo. in all channels.
I recommend you to make an AB comparison, youll hear the difference...

Denon receivers have more input connections, easy and friendly to operate using the on screen display on models like mine AVR-1804, for movies, I found it very use to use and control by the menu.
Pioneer release the VSX-D3S the first receiver with Dolby AC-3 on 1995, with On Screen Display (OSD) or Graphic Unit Interface (GUI) !!

albacora14
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Abacora, I don't think you can access the bass or treble in any DSP mode or in digital mode. These setting are pre-made to have the sound effect that they give you as a DSP. As for digital input (Toslink..) is made to give you the pure sound the way the artist/sound enginer designed it to be. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I never heard of any AVR being able to use the bass/treble in any DSP/digital( DD/DTS/DPL/DPLII) mode. Now the 5 channel stereo mode may offer it (Pioneer DSP) but I never tried. For the loudness and midnight mode, Yes you can imploy these as they do not change the bass/treble settings They just enhance the dynamic effect.

Hi there!!
I get your point, maybe it for the new pioneer recievers, but I used the VSX-D3S, you can acsess to treble and bass in Dolby AC-3, or another DSP mode, and works too...
You have excellent components (I envy you)

EdwardGein
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info If I have a chance to hear these systems I will. I'm definately going to recommend it to my brother in law mainly for the price, but odds are he still won't buy it! Glad you were able to do a decent comparison. Everytime I go into an audio place, even major high end ones, they have their stupid systems so screwed up in regards to settings, connections, accoustics, etc., its hard to make any decision based on what's on the floor. I lucked out in my HDTV, Ken Craine's the high end place I got it from in LA, does a great job in setting up their HDTV's. On the other hand, their audio equipment set up for high end stuff was ridiculous. So its not just Best Buy that sucks in regards to demonstrations. Actually alot of the HD TV's at Best Buy aren't even connected by HD!

Hi Im so fan of Denon!!!
in fact, I have the AVR-1804... and audiophile friend of mine have the AVR-3802, and we tested and compared with the Pioneer VSX-D812 and VSX-D514, using a JBL Studio monitor 4435 the Definitive Technlogy BP-10, BP-8, and with the Northridge E80
as for the main music and movies sounds terrific, with punch and energy you feel it alive, with body and consitence, more crispy and detailed, brilliant, with smooth bass, and yes actually you have more separate stereo. in all channels.
I recommend you to make an AB comparison, youll hear the difference...

Denon receivers have more input connections, easy and friendly to operate using the on screen display on models like mine AVR-1804, for movies, I found it very use to use and control by the menu.
Pioneer release the VSX-D3S the first receiver with Dolby AC-3 on 1995, with On Screen Display (OSD) or Graphic Unit Interface (GUI) !!

nick4433
10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
In my short review, I don't think I have compared the Pioneer to any Denons. Also for someone who A/Bd the 815 vs. the 3805, they are two different receivers in different categories. You need to A/B the Elites v. the 3805.
Also I never tested the 815s amplifier capabilities as I was primarily focussing on the preamp portion of the 815.

albacora14
10-11-2005, 04:10 PM
In my short review, I don't think I have compared the Pioneer to any Denons. Also for someone who A/Bd the 815 vs. the 3805, they are two different receivers in different categories. You need to A/B the Elites v. the 3805.
Also I never tested the 815s amplifier capabilities as I was primarily focussing on the preamp portion of the 815.

Hi, Yes you're so right, there a different categories, but if the VSX-D812 sounds better, just imagine a Pioneer Elite and Denon AVR-3805, AB, comparison, as a matter of fact a few years ago, was a face off on a Home Theater Mag. was the Elite top of the against the Denon series 58

albacora14
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info If I have a chance to hear these systems I will. I'm definately going to recommend it to my brother in law mainly for the price, but odds are he still won't buy it! Glad you were able to do a decent comparison. Everytime I go into an audio place, even major high end ones, they have their stupid systems so screwed up in regards to settings, connections, accoustics, etc., its hard to make any decision based on what's on the floor. I lucked out in my HDTV, Ken Craine's the high end place I got it from in LA, does a great job in setting up their HDTV's. On the other hand, their audio equipment set up for high end stuff was ridiculous. So its not just Best Buy that sucks in regards to demonstrations. Actually alot of the HD TV's at Best Buy aren't even connected by HD!

Ed.. have you seen personally the Marantz SR-5500 I want it, using as pre amp, can you give me some details of it?

recoveryone
10-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi there!!
I get your point, maybe it for the new pioneer recievers, but I used the VSX-D3S, you can acsess to treble and bass in Dolby AC-3, or another DSP mode, and works too...
You have excellent components (I envy you)
I guess I stand to be corrected. If I try on any of my systems( Pioneer Elite 26TX, VSX D411, VSX D510x2 one in the boys room and my oldest daugther) if I try to access the treble or bass the screen will say not available if I'm in DD/DTS/THX mode.

albacora14
10-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I guess I stand to be corrected. If I try on any of my systems( Pioneer Elite 26TX, VSX D411, VSX D510x2 one in the boys room and my oldest daugther) if I try to access the treble or bass the screen will say not available if I'm in DD/DTS/THX mode.

I was think in upgrade to separates using a Marantz SR5500... but later I saw the Elite series are the hell of equipments, Jesus Christ!! the connections are so enough Ipod, USB, HDMI, RS232, Ilink, the fetures like 5 or 9 band eq.. I don't what to say... is just awesome receivers.

albacora14
10-12-2005, 10:00 PM

Hi there, YES it does...!!
The first AC-3 Pioneer Receiver VSX-D3S, lets you adjust the bass, treble, Loudness and superbass (an extralowbass), in DD 5.1 Mode and DSP modes, without any message.

again... Maybe for new ones models you can't do that...