Red River Shootout and the 5-0 Bengals!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Red River Shootout and the 5-0 Bengals!!

Kam
10-06-2005, 06:26 AM
So the big matchup at the Cotton Bowl has some interesting stories carrying it in. TX is playing at the OK role this time - the team with the actual shot at the title. But OK is playing from the perspective of 5 straight over a tx team that was 'supposed' to beat them a couple of those times. Is this the year that Tx breaks through? Well FSU broke through and finally beat miami after 5 straight, so am thinking the trend continues and tx just might win. actually think this is either going to be closer than people think, or OK might pull this off. IF, IF, IF tx can approach this as any other game, and not let the pysch advantage creep in (which is tough given you're dealing with teenagers), then they can win this game. But if they think of this as the Red River Shootout that OK has beaten them in for the past five years... and, always tough to count out stoops. he'll have some tricks.

Lots of top 25 matchups this week.

OU v. TX (2) - alrighty, going with TX in a closer-than-you'd-expect it type game. although as much as am not a fan of stoops, am hoping ok pulls this one off just because it'd be awesome, and i like tx even less.

UGA (5) v. Tenn (8) - jd, your vols showed some guts pulling out that victory AT lsu... so this should be a good game. At home in rocky top... going to be tough for uga to win especially given their troubles gettting the ball in against miss state. i doubt you'll pick 'em deano, but i think the vols pull this one off.

OSU (6) v. Penn St.(16) - i am SO rooting for Joe Pa here... if tressel continues to keep ted ginn away from the ball, i think the nittany lions pull it off.

TT (15) v. Nebraska - revenge for the huskers for those 70 points tech rolled up on them last year? mmm... mmmmmmaybe, but it won't be with more than 21 points... which means they'll have to hold tech to 20 points.... which... i dont really see happening.

Cal (10) v. UCLA (20) - wooch!! your match up, i'll leave the predictions here to you, but am leaning with cal being able to pull this off and go up against usc as an undefeated.

'Canes (9) v. Duke - miami will hopefully get a nice scrimmage here to work out some offensive kinks they've been having in the red zone.

And... YES, you read it right... bengals will be 5-0 after beating jacksonville. AND... i will finally be able to watch cincinatti play sunday night! (am hoping they are the night game on espn).

peace
k2
go 'canes!

kexodusc
10-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Being a rebuilding year, we don't have the highest expectations for this season in Soonerville. But - this team is slowly showing signs of improvement. Often, a team will play up to the level of its opponent. Given the history, the individual matchups, and all the intangibles, you just never know.
Still, if I were a betting man...

As for the NFL...Could this be the week Michael Vick finally gets sacked/hit 39 times and is so beat up he can't continue? That guy needs some serious protection or Atlanta's chances for post-season success are toast. How he keeps coming back week after week is amazing. This guy could very well be the most amazing athlete in the NFL.

Can the Patriots rebound? One thing I've learned, never bet against Belichick. The Pats slow start isn't as bad as it might seem...I doubt any other team has had as tough a schedule in the first 5 weeks ever in the history of the NFL.
Pittsburgh, San Diego, Carolina, Oakland, and now Atlanta...
Character will be tested. I like Tom Brady in "must win" situations.

This game will tell me a lot about both teams and I can't wait to see it. (my last two residences were Bangor and Atlanta, naturally these are my 2 favorite teams!!!

JSE
10-06-2005, 06:55 AM
and i like tx even less.

Kam, I used to like ya. Now, I am not so sure. :D

UT will win this year.

JSE

Kam
10-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Kam, I used to like ya. Now, I am not so sure. :D

UT will win this year.

JSE
:D
hehehe. well notre dame still holds my #1 hate 'em spot (although charlie weiss comes across as such a likeable guy, and that darn "pass right" story from that kid who passed away from cancer is just too damn heartwarming) but no, must harden my heart and continue to hate the irish (and florida, damn those gators and mr. i'm-so-cool urban meyer , oh and the huskies for ending the 58game home winning streak, and the freakin' buckeyes for that phantom pass interference call that cost my 'canes the 2nd national championship, and can't forget the 'noles! freakin bobby 'i'm-such-a-southern-homeboy-good-natured-darngunned-cliched-spouting-coach-everyone-loves-me' bowden... hehehe, gotta love college football!!)

but i agree... (sort of) tx SHOULD win this year.... :D

dean_martin
10-06-2005, 08:22 AM
UGA (5) v. Tenn (8) - jd, your vols showed some guts pulling out that victory AT lsu... so this should be a good game. At home in rocky top... going to be tough for uga to win especially given their troubles gettting the ball in against miss state. i doubt you'll pick 'em deano, but i think the vols pull this one off.

This one's hard to call. I like the way Georgia came out of the gate against Boise St., but in hind sight they should have man-handled SC. I don't count the La.-Monroe game. I didn't get to watch the Miss. St. game. I was a little surprised at the score. I reviewed the recap and discovered that Shockley threw for 312 yards with a high completion percentage in windy and wet weather. He has the highest efficiency rating in the SEC and he can run. Ga. missed 2 field goals and turned the ball over in the red zone once. Eliminate these mistakes (or take away the nasty conditions) and they played well. The concern is playing at Neyland Stadium in front of 100,000 hillbillies. I've been there and it's like those stands go straight up in the air. Keep the Rocky Top sing-a-longs to a minimum and Ga. has a chance. I guess Tenn. has settled in with Clausen which should make their offense more consistent (and less offensive). Eventhough I still hate Tennessee, this one's a toss-up. I will go out on a limb and pick Ga. in a close one. (I couldn't let you down, Kam.) Mark Richt doesn't need a big win as bad as Shula needed that win over the Gators, but he is expected to keep Ga. in the hunt for a national championship and control of the SEC East is at stake.

The other games you've highlighted are interesting (except for that Miami/Duke stinker). TX takes OK. At the risk of upsetting some folks, I don't think it will be close. So, I can turn my attention to OSU/Penn St. I haven't seen Penn St. in a "big" game (or any game) in a long time. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have.

Cal/UCLA - will I be able to watch a whole game from the left coast? Is this a night game? I catch some West Coast games on FoxSportsSouth, but by halftime it's midnight. I wake up at 3:00am on the couch not knowing who won (or where I am).

Pro - I usually don't comment on pro games because my team - the Rams - suck. I'm a Saints fan by default because we get all their games. They can be a fun team to watch but mostly they're lovable losers. On the AFC network we get the Dolphins who I find just plain boring.

Jacksonville/Cincy - I don't know what's going on with the Bengals. I do know that Leftwich either holds onto the ball too long or doesn't get much protection. If these problems were eliminated, he wouldn't have to be the gutsiest QB in the NFL. I've never seen a QB take so many big shots. Do the Bengals have a defense this year? If they do, I think Leftwich is ready to go. I saw the Jags last week and it was brutal. Their only hope is to get their running game going.

topspeed
10-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I would love to see OU pull this one off, but with Petersen's bum ankle and a QB that's a work in progress at best, I just don't see it happening.

UGA looks remarkeably tough for a team that lost so many leaders. Their defense is the real deal and UT's QB is banged-up. Home or not, I have to give the edge to UGA this game.

Like everyone else on the planet, I'm rooting for Joe Pa. Let the legend go out a winner after this season!

Cal/UCLA is really tough for me as I despise both teams equally. Tradition dictates I root for Cal, but Tedford scares me more than any other coach in college ball. How 'bout this: Cal sucks but UCLA swallows

Pros:
Kam, I'm actually really happy for you that the Bengals are doing well. Having a former Trojan and QB give me a bit of bias obviously, but everyone loves an underdog.

Like Dino, I don't really catch that many pro games because my pro team, da Raiders, blow. Big time. I was seriously bummed when Favre didn't complete his comeback, tho.

Woochifer
10-06-2005, 11:44 AM
I dunno, but I'm just not sold on Texas (probably because I have an ex-girlfriend who went there). Then again, OU has not looked all that impressive either. I have a feeling that Texas will pull it out because I don't see OU winning with a freshman QB and a hobbled Adrian Peterson. But, some teams just know how to beat specific opponents, and Stoops has had Texas' number.

Cal v. UCLA is a tossup. I graduated from both schools and work in Berkeley with a bunch of Cal grads, but come gametime, I'm 100% Bruin all the way. As far as predictions go, I would say UCLA IF they can stop Cal's running game. And that's a huge "if" considering that the Bruins just lost another D-lineman for the year, and we're very thin up front to begin with. But, the D did contain Adrian Peterson, and I don't think Forsett and Lynch are in AP's class just yet.

Cal's QB Joe Ayoob is very streaky, but he has some gamebreaking receivers to throw to, and with Tedford's track record as a QB tutor, he can only get better as the year progresses (and keep right on progressing until the Trojans come to Berkeley next month). But, so far Cal has not played any tough games, and that might work against them in the end. Basically, if UCLA plays the way that they did last week against U-Dub (about as ugly a Bruin victory as I've seen, even though QB Drew Olson did lead his first ever 4th quarter comeback), Cal will roll over them. If the UCLA team that took out OU shows up at the Rose Bowl, then chalk up a W for my Bruins. All things being equal, I think the home field advantage will come into play. The game is on TBS and starts at 4:30 west coast time.

And ts, I can totally relate - sort of like me deciding who to root for whenever the Trojans play the Cardinal. A lot easier for me now because my wife works at Stanford, and half of our household expenses get covered by that Junior University. Too bad about college overtime, otherwise I could just root for a tie. Oh and very nice quote there, since the last time I saw that was on a T-shirt some students were selling at a Cal-USC game -- just substitute USC and Stanford, I got my own opinions on who sucks and who swallows! :D

Justlisten2
10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Finally my Lions give me something to cheer about! The schedule doesn't get any easier though. Penn State has to travel into th Big House to play Michigan, who should be all fired up because they just fell out of the top 25.

The Big 10 is too tough of a conference for anyone to go unbeaten. So I don't see Penn State in the Rose Bowl, even with my rose colored glasses on. :cool:

My Eagles are another story though. They got humiliated by the stinkin' Cowboys. How embarassing. :o

Kam
10-10-2005, 08:19 AM
naturally.... first time i get to see my bengals on tv... and they lose....

Justlisten2
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
naturally.... first time i get to see my bengals on tv... and they lose....

Ain't that the way it always works?

Hey Kam, I'll bet your Hurricanes are trembling this week......it's the BIG GAME......TEMPLE OWLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Temple is so pathetic they could lose on a bye week. ;)

Woochifer
10-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, the weekend demonstrated how much I know -- not much! :D

Texas looked pretty impressive in taking apart OU, but I still wonder if Texas is really that good. More and more, it just seems like OU's just not a very good team this year.

And my Bruins won a thriller against the Bears, coming back twice from 12+ point deficits. I thought Cal would roll big time if they got their running game going. Well, they got over 300 yards on the ground with both Forsett and Lynch (who did not play like he had a broken finger) gaining big yardage. But, the Bruin defense held Cal to field goals 4x inside the red zone, while the Bruin offense scored TDs on every trip inside the 20. Cal outgained UCLA by about 150 yards, but the game was decided on special teams. Cal made the mistake of punting three times to Maurice Drew (who's probably the most dangerous return man outside of Reggie Bush) and that led to two easy TDs. This is one of the more resilient Bruin squads that I've seen in a long time. Question now is whether they will have a let down in any of their next few games where they will be big favorites (Wazzu, Oregon State, Stanford, and Arizona).