Crappy sound coming from my speaker.. what needs to be upgraded? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crappy sound coming from my speaker.. what needs to be upgraded?

RLiu818
10-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I have two huge 125W floor speakers, which are about 15 years old, connected to my old SONY personal audio system as a receiver.

I use the speakers for house parties. When I turn it up, the bass gets muffled and the clarity is horrible. I cant afford to upgrade both right now, so will upgrading either the speakers only, or getting a new receiver make a significant difference?

FYI:

The speakers are:
Sherwood S-2125
125W 8 ohms
it has dual 10" speakers on each one.
I cant find any link to it since its so old.

The receiver is from my old personal audio system:
Sony
HCD-C55
Here is a link to a manual on it.. its all i could find since its so old.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Sony-HCD-C55-MHC-C55-service-manual_W0QQitemZ5784910200QQcategoryZ50594QQssPage NameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance.

PAT.P
10-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Check to see drivers are in good shape,if any rip.Are you sure the speaker are not clipping at high volume .This would mean that the receiver as not enought power to send to speaker.If you have a loudness on receiver make sure its not on at high volume this is only at low volume.

Resident Loser
10-05-2005, 07:11 AM
...in response...

When you say "personal audio system", do you mean sources, amplification AND speakers were sold/packed as a package? Can't really make out any details from the E-bay pic.

If so, many are optimized to be used as such...lower power output with a nominal four or six ohm rating on the loudspeakers...once you start to ask more of the amp than is provided for, the troubles begin...especially at higher volume levels.

As PatP. pointed out, check your loudspeakers for any obvious defects. If you detect none, and you still like their looks, the first thing I'd do would be to get a new receiver.

BE SURE TO ASCERTAIN RETURN POLICIES...you may need them
If things are OK and the sound improves to the point you are "satisfied" that the Sony was the culprit, get a CDP(and yes, assuming you have one, you can use your portable CDP with the proper wiring adapter) or other source and listen away...If things still don't quite sound up to snuff, you can go back to square one and start from scratch...you will most likely want to get all new stuff as the Sony isn't quite the ticket...Of course you can alway borrow a rec from a friend and do the same thing, but ...

jimHJJ(...take baby steps...)