Can anyone rec. some smooth/slow Jazz on SACD/DVD-A? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone rec. some smooth/slow Jazz on SACD/DVD-A?

L.J.
10-04-2005, 04:22 PM
I like smooth/slow Jazz. Can anyone rec anything on SACD or DVD-A?

I usually listen to the smooth Jazz station on Comcast but I don't own anything yet.

Thanks

noddin0ff
10-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Well, if you don't have anything a few classics can't hurt. I'm not a big fan of 'smooth' jazz but I can give a couple of recommendations for soothing that are SACD

Miles Dave : Kind of Blue (SACD)
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (hybrid SACD): mellow and romantic

I'd probably add
Nora Jones: Come away with me (hybrid SACD) although it doesn't strike me as jazz really.

I wouldn't restrict yourself to SACD/DVD-A. I'd suggest writing down the names of the artists you are consistently drawn to and buying their albums SACD or not. Theres also a plethora of Smooth Jazz samplers.

L.J.
10-05-2005, 06:32 AM
Well, if you don't have anything a few classics can't hurt. I'm not a big fan of 'smooth' jazz but I can give a couple of recommendations for soothing that are SACD

Miles Dave : Kind of Blue (SACD)
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (hybrid SACD): mellow and romantic

I'd probably add
Nora Jones: Come away with me (hybrid SACD) although it doesn't strike me as jazz really.

I wouldn't restrict yourself to SACD/DVD-A. I'd suggest writing down the names of the artists you are consistently drawn to and buying their albums SACD or not. Theres also a plethora of Smooth Jazz samplers.

I'm trying to beef up my SACD/DVD-A collection. Well I wouldn't call it a collection, more like 5 SACD's and 1 DVD-A. I listen to R&B, rap, oldies and alot of slow stuff. I've been trying to break out of my shell and try other types of music. I've found that I really like Jazz, especially the smooth stuff.

Your right, good music is good music, no matter what format it's in.

Thanks

nobody
10-05-2005, 07:51 AM
I don't know what is on SACD, but I'll suggest a couple mellow jazz things to look for...

Getz/Gilberto - laid back bosa nova sounds, featuring the classic Girl From Iponema. Sounds great on vinyl, so I'd think it would be good on whatever format.

Chet Baker - either his self-titled Chet album, which is instrumental, or any of his vocal records would be good. Really, I've liked about everything I've heard from him and it's mostly al laid back.

Then, you could always look for anything by Billie Holiday, Nina Simone or other vocalists. The aforementioned Miles Davis Kind of Blue is a universal classic that I'm sure is available on SACD and the also mentioned John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman is a personal favorite of mine. You could also look for Coltrane's Ballads album.

noddin0ff
10-05-2005, 08:06 AM
The remaster CD of Getz/Gilberto is top notch. I was going to add that too but its not avail. as SACD.
I've been meaning to try a Chet Baker album. Thanks for the tips!

L.J.
10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been writing all these names down and will give them all a try. It seems like Jazz is the way to go for me on SACD. Huge selection. Well into the hundreds. I have no problem getting CD's, but like I said, I would love to beef up my SACD's. It sounds so good.

Jack in Wilmington
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
I like the Smooth Jazz station on Comcast also. Try these two

1. Fourplay - Fourplay ( DVD-A ) mellow writen all over it

2. George Benson - Breezin ( DVD-A )

BinFrog
10-07-2005, 05:40 AM
These aren't all smooth jazz per se, but they may be perfect for you.

Bill Evans Trio :
Sunday At The Village Vanguard (Featuring Scott La Faro) (Stereo SACD)

Pat Metheny Group :
Imaginary Day (Multi-Channel DVD-Audio)

Bucky Pizzarelli :
Swing Live (Multi-Channel SACD)
(Swing jazz, up tempo, but the sound quality is out of this world)

McCoy Tyner:
New York Reunion (Stereo SACD)
Illuminations (Multi-Channel SACD)

Miles Davis
Relaxin' With the Miles Davis Quintet (Stereo SACD)
Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet (Stereo SACD)
Kind Of Blue (Multi-Channel SACD)
Miles Smiles (Stereo SACD)
In A Silent Way (Multi-Channel SACD)