Speaker Upgrade - a little of this, a little of that [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Upgrade - a little of this, a little of that

Olivertmc
10-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi all:

I'm hoping for some good suggestions with respect to speaker brands I should check out for a potential upgrade. Currently, I have Kef Q15.2's as my main speakers and a Kef Q9c as my center. As for surrounds, I have Boston Acoustic in-wall speakers (came with the house I purchased a about a year ago) that I don't really want to change out right now, so I'll live with any tonal imbalance. In terms of power, I have a Marantz SR5000 and a Parasound 2-channel power amp for the mains with a power rating of approximately 125w/ch. In my other system I am running Monitor Audio B1's as my mains, with a little Energy S8.2 sub. They are paired with an old Teac reciever I had kicking around the house.

My dilemma: There are parts of the KEF's that I love - warmth, midrange, imaging. However, I definitely prefer the dynamics of the MA's - cymbals, strings, higher range voicers have much more presence than the KEF's. So, basically I am looking for a speaker that will provide both of these - something that excels in the midrange but does not sacrifice dynamics.

My plan: Sell the KEFs, the Monitor Audios (including the additional pair of B1's and Bronze Center that are sitting in a closet gathering dust) and the Energy sub and upgrade to mains and a center that will give me what I'm looking for.

Help Needed: Can any of you recommend 2 bookshelves and a center for approximately $1800 that will give me what I'm looking for? I have a subwoofer that I'm very happy with, so bass extension issues related to speaker are not that important. I feel lost in a sea of brands! I've heard good things about the Paradigm Studio 20's - will those fit the bill? What about Totem Rainmakers? PSB?

My listening preferences are about 80% music, 20% movies.

Thanks!

- Olivertmc

drseid
10-04-2005, 01:14 PM
I would look at auditioning the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1s ($1K/pr.). For just under 1.5K you would have 3 great sounding speakers. Problem is they are very hard to find (only 1 dealer in the US as far as I know -- Quest For Sound in PA). Just as an aside, I do not have any affiliation with Quest for Sound (or Opera Audio), just thought I would mention them since they may be the only US dealer. The Opera Audio website is http://www.operaudio.com for reference.

---Dave

topspeed
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
[ There are parts of the KEF's that I love - warmth, midrange, imaging. However, I definitely prefer the dynamics of the MA's - cymbals, strings, higher range voicers have much more presence than the KEF's.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you aren't looking for a more dynamic speaker, you're looking for one with a hotter tweeter. It sounds like you prefer more aggressive voicing, such as the Monitors. I'd take a look at Energy's Veritas offerings as they were very similar to the the Monitor Golds I auditioned alongside them yet had better depth. You might also peruse this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906) where you'll find a veritable cornucopia of excellent suggestions within your price range.

Hope this helps.

Olivertmc
10-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to do some listening this weekend and see what I find. I've always liked Energy's speakers, so I'll definitely include those. I'll also check out the opera audio website. There's a paradigm dealer in my town, so I'll give those a shot too.

Another quick question: This will be my first upgrade since getting into this hobby - so what is the best way to get rid of my old stuff? ebay? audiogon? trade-in?

Thanks again for the advice.

RGA
10-05-2005, 07:47 AM
I'd also add PMC to your list -- The Veritas Standmount is a little fatiguing to me and PMC may provide a cheaper solution and IMO a little more refined. I believe the TB2 can also be run active which would really offer you a tight sound. (PMC The Professional Monitor Company) tend not to be inexpensive or the best looking but worth your time. They share import with Bryston and they make a nice match as well.

Geoffcin
10-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to do some listening this weekend and see what I find. I've always liked Energy's speakers, so I'll definitely include those. I'll also check out the opera audio website. There's a paradigm dealer in my town, so I'll give those a shot too.

Another quick question: This will be my first upgrade since getting into this hobby - so what is the best way to get rid of my old stuff? ebay? audiogon? trade-in?

Thanks again for the advice.

Is a much better place to sell gear than Ebay.

Olivertmc
10-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks - I'll give Audiogon a try. Anyone familiar with the Epos line of speakers - in particular the M5's?

I'll listened to set of Def Techs earlier today at a magnolia home theater in a best buy (I didn't even know it was in there!). Not too sure about the bipolar thing - sounded a little weird. I assume it depends a lot on the room. I was actually pretty impressed with the Magnolia store, the staff was knowledgable and they had a decent selection.

RGA
10-05-2005, 02:32 PM
I was unimpressed with Epos -- think you can do better for less.

Have not heard Def tech

drseid
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks - I'll give Audiogon a try. Anyone familiar with the Epos line of speakers - in particular the M5's?

I'll listened to set of Def Techs earlier today at a magnolia home theater in a best buy (I didn't even know it was in there!). Not too sure about the bipolar thing - sounded a little weird. I assume it depends a lot on the room. I was actually pretty impressed with the Magnolia store, the staff was knowledgable and they had a decent selection.
I like some of the DT speakers (and own some as my office system (the ProCinema mini-monitors)), but the bi-polar floorstanders work better for HT than music, IMO.

---Dave