RS 3 Way update. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RS 3 Way update.

poneal
10-04-2005, 07:03 AM
I thought I would post an update of my RS 3 way project. It's going slow. The top boxes are done and I've been working on the bass boxes. They should be done this weekend sometime so hopefully I will get to listen to them then. These top boxes sit atop the bass box. When I complete the bottoms I will post a picture of the entire speaker. As you can see, the RS drivers and black lacquer go together well. Enjoy, Paul.

http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/BothFrntFacing.jpg

jclin4
10-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Paul,

great looking work in progress! I'm looking forward to seeing the bottom unit when you complete it.

It's encouraging to see more people doing projects with Dayton's RS series. I've also been keeping tabs on the work Jon Marsh has been doing.

I'm a newbie to DIY and have built the BR-1 and AR.com kits. I love them both and look forward to future projects with two-way monitors. I've read good things about Dennis Murphy's MBOW1, but that Hiquphon tweeter is beyond my price range. I know he has cheaper MB-20 and MB-27 versions, but wouldn't the RS28A tweeter make another interesting (and cost-effective) variation on that excellent design?

poneal
10-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Appreciate the comments. I may be able to post some pictures of the finished product this weekend. No listening comments at that time but at least the blunt of the grunt work will be done. I plan on starting the actual measuring of these tonight if I get a chance.

I think the RS28 might work in Dennis' MBOW1 but I'm sure the xover would have to change so it wouldn't be a plop in the box thing. I've also read good things about the Seas 27TBFC (think that's the one) which is a metal cone but doesn't sound like a metal cone.

I do know how you feel about budget. These guys have drained my speaker account pretty much not to mention that the bigger they are the longer they take to get done. Again, appreciate the comments. Regards, Paul.

kexodusc
10-07-2005, 05:26 AM
Those look great Paul...Damn, those are deep cabinets. Was the depth chosen to be the same size as the bass box? Just curious.

Danny Ritchie's smaller monitors are deeper than they are tall as well, just wondering if you guys know something I don't.

poneal
10-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Congratulations on your marriage and I wish you well. The bass box is the same depth as the top boxes but about 2 ¼” wider. The top box is larger than it needs to be but since the crossover is around 250hz I shouldn’t run into excursion problems and it will help round out the midrange. I should have a full picture sometime this weekend and I will post it along with some initial impressions of the sound. PE backordered a single 6.2uF cap so I only have enough parts to put together 1 speaker for listening. The part is expected to arrive on Tuesday.

I think the slim and deep is just the current rave. I usually use the golden ration for box design but decided to see how this works out. The top box is 100% stuffed and uses 1.5” foam on all walls except the front baffle. It’s sealed too. The bass box uses a 3” flared port tuned to around 27hz IIRC.

Regards,

Paul.

kexodusc
10-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks Paul.

Guess it depends on which golden ratio you use now. There's 4 in the David Weems books, can't remember how many Vance Dickason's. I've only used 2 ratios. Didn't use any for the towers I built, just avoided multiples of either dimensions. Can't say I can attribute sound to the slight differences in dimensions, but you never know.

You must be getting awefully good at those gloss black finishes by now.