SVS subwoofer, too loud for neighbors?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVS subwoofer, too loud for neighbors??

vxaudio
10-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Im really excited about buying a pb10 or even a pc25-31, BUT I live in a townhouse (2-story)nwith people on both sides and im afraid of disturbing them. I crank up my system now and by bass is from bose 601 IV's and is loud, but not enough for me. I did get complaints when i was in an apartment with someone above me, but not since i moved. The pc25-31's are the same height as my fronts and would look great. One person (ownas a pb12/2) told me that he gets complaints from neighbors, and he lives in a freestanding house, haha. Anyone have experience with this or advice? also about which sub i should go with.OR if I should not buy one until i get a house?

TheHills44060
10-05-2005, 07:40 AM
All I know is that I'm in the same situation you are. I live in a condominium with neighbors to the left and below. A subwoofer for me is out of the question. I've have an Infinity RS10 sub and haven't played it in 7 years because I get the cops called on me immediately as soon as I do. I can't wait to move into a house so I really can enjoy my stereo.

hometheaterbug
10-08-2005, 06:21 PM
vxaudio

BUT I live in a townhouse (2-story)nwith people on both sides and im afraid of disturbing them

I have a 20-39 pci , one of SVS's lower end subs.I lived in a townhouse for a time with neighbors on both sides just like you.I told the next door neighbor that I was going to test my system and to let me know if it gets too loud. I popped in the Avia test disc to do the bass sweeps and the dishes in my the kitchen began to clang together at about 25 hz until total dropoff at 16hz.I found out later that my neighbors dishes were clanging together too yet they sound was so low it was unaudable.Thier dishes seemed to be clanging without any apparent cause,freaked 'em out.

shokhead
10-09-2005, 06:08 AM
I just wouldnt do a sub until i got a house. I'd just go with better mains and let them do the best they can.

hometheaterbug
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
For what it's work shokhead, I don't use my SVS anymore.I think I need more sub control, namely a subsonic filter. When movie tracks get pumpin' the SVS puts out bass and a pressure wave that fills the room ( a large room ).This is a very unpleasant sensation and robs the movie experience.It feels closest to traveling up a mountain when your ears pop, you can feel the pressure wave but not the sound.