SVS subwoofer, too much bass for neighbors?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SVS subwoofer, too much bass for neighbors??

vxaudio
10-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Im really excited about buying a pb10 or even a pc25-31, BUT I live in a townhouse (2-story)nwith people on both sides and im afraid of disturbing them. I crank up my system now and by bass is from bose 601 IV's and is loud, but not enough for me. I did get complaints when i was in an apartment with someone above me, but not since i moved. The pc25-31's are the same height as my fronts and would look great. One person (ownas a pb12/2) told me that he gets complaints from neighbors, and he lives in a freestanding house, haha. Anyone have experience with this or advice? also about which sub i should go with.OR if I should not buy one until i get a house?

L.J.
10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't think it could be avoided. I've had neighbors complain in both apartments I lived in in the past. My first sub was only a 8 incher and had the neighbors complaining everytime I turned it up. Call me crazy but I upgraded to a 12" Yamaha and practically started a war. I had the people next to me and downstairs complaining. It got so bad that everytime I put a movie on, my doorbell would ring almost instantly. Me being young and stupid, would go ahead and put on U-571 whenever I felt like it at any volume I wanted. HT and apartments just don't mix.

I've been in 3 different houses since then and haven't had a complaint. There's nothing like throwing on a movie at 10pm and not worrying about it.

markw
10-04-2005, 04:59 AM
1) how loud you want that sub to play.

2) the tolerance of your neighbors.

remember, a sub's biggest problem is the frequencies it reproduces are fed through the physical structure more than the air, unlike other speakers.

but, you could always play it in modertion until you get that house.

shokhead
10-04-2005, 06:06 AM
1) how loud you want that sub to play.

2) the tolerance of your neighbors.

remember, a sub's biggest problem is the frequencies it reproduces are fed through the physical structure more than the air, unlike other speakers.

but, you could always play it in modertion until you get that house.

LMAO. Could you have a nice sub and "play it in modertion"?
I couldnt. :D

Geoffcin
10-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Is that you can do what you want in it. HT is something that you pretty much needs a whole house to be able to use it to full effect without causing a problem.

I've heard of people moving the sub to right next to the viewing area. It might be a bit less than ideal, but you will be able to lower the sub volume and still get the effect.

PAT.P
10-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I have a half double house and my neighbor said he could feel vibration on his side.I get more complains from wife .My yamaha lets me send to sub and front,front only and I put my centre to large and that usally less volume to sub.I have two sub and when I put the front and center to small ,picture tilt and dishes move.My sub in basement as a bottom driver and this one she could handle ,it place on sub floor and carpet.

kexodusc
10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Gotta admit, bass has never bothered any of my neighbors. But as for complaints, you are allowed to crank the volume up during waking hours to loud levels. outside of 10am-10pm in most places, you'll have to be mindful.

It'll come down to how much sound your townhouse passes on to the neighbors. If there's carpet, and the building is very sturdy, heavy, and has lots of insulation, they might never notice. If it's as crappy as the one I lived in briefly, your room will become a giant subwoofer box and could bother your neighbors.
But maybe they're cool.

I'm waiting for my plate amp to arrive on my 2nd 15" sub so using moderation with a good sub just doesn't jive with me. I think I'd be more inclined to buy a cheaper sub if I couldn't take advantage of all its potential.

MCF
10-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I have a PB12/2 Plus (2 15") and live in a freestanding townhouse (about 6 foot alley between each house) and 1 day after I got my sub, my neighbor came by and said she couldn't take it anymore.....she said she knew it was my house when she put her hand on my garage door (directly beneath the living room where sub was) and the door was shaking...I was driving it hard and have cut back to normal (still awesome bass levels - Q at about 10%) and reciever at +2 and have not had anymore complaints....attached townhouse...get a 8" JVC sub or something because you will get complaints instantaneously.....when i lived in apartments I used to beat on walls because of punk kids upstairs playing bassy music all the time...

vxaudio
10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Im a college student, so i probably will not be able to buy a house for maybe 4 years because im about to start med school. I split my rare freetime between riding horses and playing around with a/v stuff. So when i do have the time to crank it up is usually on weekends or during the day, maybe once a week. One good post was that from 10-10, you should be able to play at moderately loud levels. So I have decided to go ahead and get an SVS sub so I can take full advantage of my rare time to enjoy a movie/music.

NOW, i have to decide which sub to go with. I think that the pb10 would work fine, but i really like the styling of the 25-31 because its the same height as my fronts.

OK somebody help me out that knows. My main concern with the 25-31 is that the Hz is rated 25, and on the pb10 its way lower at 18. This might be the deciding factor for me, but im not sure that this is whats most important. PLEASE help me choose. please give any reasons why the 25-31 would be better or vice versa. Also, the pb10 is like $120 less than the other, DOES the 25-31 performance make the 120 jump worth it? It seems like the pb10 is a better value at 18 Hz and from reviews i read only 3-5 dB lesser in volume???

I'm so screwed, I way overthink everything.....

shokhead
10-04-2005, 06:36 PM
E-Mail SVS

Canadia507
10-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Personally I'd go with the pb10 - worst case scenario is that it doesnt blow you out of the water at 18hz, you return it, save the 120 bucks and get the 25-31 rather than getting the 25-31 and not knowing what you're missing out on. I'm a big fan of that 30 day trial period.

I'm so screwed, I way overthink everything.....

Cheer up, you're an aspiring doctor, it's expected of you.

EdwardGein
10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I moved to a new apartment complex going from the ground floor to the second floor of a 3 story building & was totally paranoid about the upstairs & downstairs neighbors complaining.
Anyway, for $125 & UPS shipping, you can buy a heavy duty isolation pad for your subwoofer which is kind of like a thick doormat that you put under the sub. It doesn't affect the sound your hearing in your place but does minimize the noise/vibrations. I use them for both my bedroom & living room sets (costt me around $300 something with shipping for 2) & so far, in the 2 months I've been here, I've had no complaints, so I assume its working. The place that sells these is called accoustical solutions.com here is the link to the pads www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/isolation/pads.asp I recommend if you do buy one you get the heavy duty one as the other apparently isn't as effective.