Master Bedroom Sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Master Bedroom Sound

nightflier
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
OK, I was at a cocktail party this weekend and we were talking about surround setups. One of the guys said that he found the perfect inexpensive solution for the master bedroom. He had mounted a flatscreen on the wall facing the bed. He then bought an all-in-one 5 speaker/amp/dvd setup and mounted the tiny speakers around the canopy frame above the bed with the sub under the bed. While this sounds a bit corny and weird (kind of like mounting a mirror on the ceiling), this does bring up a good point. There is really no good way to set up surround or stereo speakers in a bedroom.

I ran into this problem when I was mounting stereo speakers for my uncle. I ended up mounting them, facing the bed on the opposite wall near the ceiling (I wrote about this in a previous post). The result were OK, but not ideal. For my own bedroom, I have two small Aperion speakers on each night stand, facing in, which sounds pretty bad in stereo, since my head is closest to the left speaker. They are connected to a small seperates rack on the right wall that I can easily access with the remote. But since I don't have high posts on my bed, I really don't have a good solution for the speakers.

I know many people just have a simple clock radio, and don't have anything fancy in the bedroom, but for those who do have a decent setup, how did you solve the speaker problem?

dean_martin
10-03-2005, 04:37 PM
OK, I was at a cocktail party this weekend and we were talking about surround setups. One of the guys said that he found the perfect inexpensive solution for the master bedroom. He had mounted a flatscreen on the wall facing the bed. He then bought an all-in-one 5 speaker/amp/dvd setup and mounted the tiny speakers around the canopy frame above the bed with the sub under the bed. While this sounds a bit corny and weird (kind of like mounting a mirror on the ceiling), this does bring up a good point. There is really no good way to set up surround or stereo speakers in a bedroom.

I ran into this problem when I was mounting stereo speakers for my uncle. I ended up mounting them, facing the bed on the opposite wall near the ceiling (I wrote about this in a previous post). The result were OK, but not ideal. For my own bedroom, I have two small Aperion speakers on each night stand, facing in, which sounds pretty bad in stereo, since my head is closest to the left speaker. They are connected to a small seperates rack on the right wall that I can easily access with the remote. But since I don't have high posts on my bed, I really don't have a good solution for the speakers.

I know many people just have a simple clock radio, and don't have anything fancy in the bedroom, but for those who do have a decent setup, how did you solve the speaker problem?

I was listening to my bedroom system when I came across your post. (NP: Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted extended version.) I have an NAD C340 integrated, a Cambridge Audio CD300 cdp, a 20" Sony flat screen and a Panasonic dvdp on a Salamander stand close to the foot of my wife's side of the bed angled toward the middle of the bed. The bed is in the corner of the room farthest from the door. A nightstand is on each side of the bed but they are flat against the walls that make the corner where the headboard is.

I have a pair of NHT SuperOnes that sit on the nightstands. They are the xu version designed to be wall-mounted and they are white. I bought these as a compromise with the wife and they've turned out to be great speakers. When sitting on a flat surface, they are angled up slightly which I think helps with the treble disbursement and creation of a soundstage. I've put off mounting them on the walls on the sides of the bed. I angle them out into the room when I'm listening to music. I angle them inward toward the bed when we're in bed watching movies. It's a cool movie experience. I haven't really thought about going 5.1 in the bedroom, but it would probably be a big pain. Besides, I feel like I've gotten away with something just getting the wife to agree with what we have now. There's something about this system that clicks. I like the cd sound on this system better than my main 2-ch rig.

topspeed
10-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I have a 32" Hitachi sitting in a armoire that also houses a Sony DVD player, Marantz 2230 reciever, and the DirecTV stb on the opposite wall of my bed. The VR1's sit on Skylan stands on either side of the armoir. The stand height was measured to ensure the tweeters would be at ear level. I get just as much pleasure out of this system as my main rig.

I also agree with Dino, 5.1 in the bedroom is overkill. You should have better sources of entertainment in the bedroom besides the latest action flick in DTS ;).

nightflier
10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
...You should have better sources of entertainment in the bedroom besides the latest action flick in DTS ;).

There are those who can multitask, you know....
:D

Seriously. though, even 2 channels is a pain in the neck. With my speakers on the nightstands, I can pretty much forget about any stereo imaging. I guess I've been pursuing good sound for so long, that I'm just having a hard time settling for less, even if it's just to fall asleep and wake up. Actually, when I think of it, I rely on this system for much of my daily listening. I use a programmable remote so it lowers the volume at night, and in the morning, it starts off playing CD music softly, increases the volume slowly, and then switches to the news when it's clear that I'm going to be late. When I'm in the shower I catch up on what I need to know for those oh-so-important water cooler discussions at the office. Best of all, the system keeps me on schedule. So if I add it up, I probably listen to this system more than any other in my house, yet it's the most dissatisfying one to my ears.

I suppose I kind of envy the $200 HTIB mini-cube speakers around the bed frame. Simple and functional. He even routed the wiring into a groove in the wood so you can't even see it (this is probably not 12G Kimber Cable). Besides movies, I could then listen to surround sound music while falling asleep and waking up. I've actually been listening to nature sounds lately (I know, this is probably an abomination to everyone) but to have the rain forest or an ocean breeze all around might actually be a pretty neat effect.

I could be satisfied with just two speakers, but they would have to be near the foot of the bed, which just isn't very functional because the foot of the bed is traditionally away from the wall. Hmmm, maybe that's the problem....

topspeed
10-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I could be satisfied with just two speakers, but they would have to be near the foot of the bed, which just isn't very functional because the foot of the bed is traditionally away from the wall. Hmmm, maybe that's the problem....Consider your main rig. Do you sit in between the speaker or at the point of an equilateral triangle? Try to arrange the same situation in your BR given the space and furniture limitations. Just this morning when I was getting ready, I was reminded how important it is for the speakers to be as far away from my headboard as they are. When I'd walk towards the back of the room, where I would be if I were in bed, the sound was so much better. Simply put, you need the distance for the sound to coalesce. The VR1's aren't bad nearfield, but they are far better at a distance. Can't you put your speakers on stands and do the same thing?

nightflier
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Can't you put your speakers on stands and do the same thing?

Well, not really, but I could sleep with my feet to the wall but that might feel weird. Where did this idea that we all had to sleep with our heads to the wall come from?

topspeed
10-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Where did this idea that we all had to sleep with our heads to the wall come from?Actually, I came up with that. Patented it too. I receive a small royalty every time someone sleeps with their head to the wall (and you guys thought I was just good looking...I'm rich too!) Conversely, if you try it the other way, you have to pay a small $20 fine, although I rarely enforce it because I'm more of a giver.

Yup, with me it's all about the giving.

thekid
10-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Damn first the Slinky-then the Pasta Pot Lid strainer and now the Head against the wall sleep system!!!
Those were my ideas I just did not how to get a patent!-

I have been working on just the right sleeping angles for years and now all that research is just down the drain.. :(

nightflier
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Well let's hope that people don't go back to sleeping in cubby holes inside the walls...

Come to think of it, that would be ideal for surround sound...