Lookign for a new turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lookign for a new turntable

3db
10-03-2005, 04:43 AM
I neeed to replace my old Realistic turntable because the movers hd dropped it.Thanks guys because it gives me a legit upgrade that the spouse can't fight me over. :)

I went to a couple of local audio dealers. One suggested the NAD533 which is a restamped Rega turntable bit the reviews on here are mixed. The other dealer suggested a new Sony whihc lists around $200Cdn. but I forget the model number. I'm trying to keep it under $400.

Before the movers dropped it, I noticed espcially playing Yes's "Fragile" album that it sounded kind of distorrted, gritty like and I wonder if thats because of a tracking error. I wonder if caused permanent damage to the vinyl despite teh weight being set to 1.5 gms

Any input is appreciated

Resident Loser
10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
...How old was the TT? Was the cart just as old? And the stylus, was it ever replaced? Back in the heyday of vinyl, rule of thumb was around 1000hrs. for stylus life...Pickering actually marketed a timing device that you could monitor in order to keep ahead of the magic number.

Unfortunately, by the time you notice a problem, the damage is quite often already done. Are you absolutely certain 1.5 grms. was the specified tracking force? Many mass produced TTs had scales that were substantially off...and even the most accurate ones could still be off if the tonearm was not statically balanced before additional tracking force was applied. Anti-skating compensation is another consideration. There were(and perhaps may still be) reasonably-priced, calibrated measuring tools for tracking force...Shure had one.

We haven't even gotten into the the disk's surface. What did you use to clean it? Did you ever clean it?

I really enjoyed Yes and "Fragile" was a fave, but I always found the top-end to be a bit bright...that "hotness", coupled with the possiblity for mistracking due to any of the above mentioned reasons, tends to emphasize the symptoms you describe IMO. Could just use a thorough cleaning, but may also be too far gone.

Using the good old process of elimination, when you go out shopping, take it along as a demo. If the problem persists, it's the disk...if it disappears, it's most likely your setup.

Some retailers may balk at running the risk of damage to their carts by playing obviously uncared-for records, still others will have Nitty-Gritty(and the like) record cleaners, both for their own protection and as marketing tools. The salesman will make the call and that alone may indicate the state of your vinyl.

Insofar as specific recommendations, my current TT/cart has been fine and I have had no need to investigate further. There are a few regulars, most notably Hi-fi Tommy, who will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

3db
10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
...How old was the TT? Was the cart just as old? And the stylus, was it ever replaced? Back in the heyday of vinyl, rule of thumb was around 1000hrs. for stylus life...Pickering actually marketed a timing device that you could monitor in order to keep ahead of the magic number.

Unfortunately, by the time you notice a problem, the damage is quite often already done. Are you absolutely certain 1.5 grms. was the specified tracking force? Many mass produced TTs had scales that were substantially off...and even the most accurate ones could still be off if the tonearm was not statically balanced before additional tracking force was applied. Anti-skating compensation is another consideration. There were(and perhaps may still be) reasonably-priced, calibrated measuring tools for tracking force...Shure had one.

We haven't even gotten into the the disk's surface. What did you use to clean it? Did you ever clean it?

I really enjoyed Yes and "Fragile" was a fave, but I always found the top-end to be a bit bright...that "hotness", coupled with the possiblity for mistracking due to any of the above mentioned reasons, tends to emphasize the symptoms you describe IMO. Could just use a thorough cleaning, but may also be too far gone.

Using the good old process of elimination, when you go out shopping, take it along as a demo. If the problem persists, it's the disk...if it disappears, it's most likely your setup.

Some retailers may balk at running the risk of damage to their carts by playing obviously uncared-for records, still others will have Nitty-Gritty(and the like) record cleaners, both for their own protection and as marketing tools. The salesman will make the call and that alone may indicate the state of your vinyl.

Insofar as specific recommendations, my current TT/cart has been fine and I have had no need to investigate further. There are a few regulars, most notably Hi-fi Tommy, who will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

I used discwasher on my lps and I was careful with my vinyl. And with the tracking froce, I'm only quessing at the weight based on the turntables graduations. It was on the lighter side, that I know for sure. I guess the only thing I can do is bring it along wih me to an audio store

JohnMichael
10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I neeed to replace my old Realistic turntable because the movers hd dropped it.Thanks guys because it gives me a legit upgrade that the spouse can't fight me over. :)

I went to a couple of local audio dealers. One suggested the NAD533 which is a restamped Rega turntable bit the reviews on here are mixed. The other dealer suggested a new Sony whihc lists around $200Cdn. but I forget the model number. I'm trying to keep it under $400.

Before the movers dropped it, I noticed espcially playing Yes's "Fragile" album that it sounded kind of distorrted, gritty like and I wonder if thats because of a tracking error. I wonder if caused permanent damage to the vinyl despite teh weight being set to 1.5 gms

Any input is appreciated

I recieved a sales notice from a company I make audio purchases from and they are discounting the Rega P2 because it is being discontinued. Also the Goldring GR1 turntable which is based on the P2 has also been discounted. The Music Hall and Project turntables are also worth considering. A good website for turntable info is www.amusicdirect.com.

RGA
10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
The Nad is fine but the cartridge is terrible -- I bought a Shure M97Xe to replace it and the results are good - There are other Rega P2 clones and you may find one of them to your liking.

If you are in BC I will sell mine as I will be going to either an AN TT2 or Linn LP 12

ericl
10-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Go for a Technics SL-1200. At that price I don't think the cheap belt drives can compete with it. It's easy to use, rock solid, will last forever and will keep it's resale value.

BRANDONH
10-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Go for a Technics SL-1200. At that price I don't think the cheap belt drives can compete with it. It's easy to use, rock solid, will last forever and will keep it's resale value.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=dj/s=turntables/search/detail/base_pid/807058/

List: $699.95

Sale Price: $399.99

trollgirl
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
...there are gobs of classic vintage turntables out there. I was lucky enough to find a Dual CS 530 in really good shape for $65. It is belt drive, has the ultra-low-mass (ULM) arm, and sports an Ortofon OM-10 cartridge. Sounds great! Before that, I picked up a Logic Tempo E table with a Magnapan arm: $50, needs work, but it is rather exotic. Vintage, carefully chosen, can give you a lot more bang for the buck. I'm lucky here in Kansas City, as a local flea market dealer has possibly the biggest hoard of vintage tables in the midwest - I got the Dual there.

Laz

musicoverall
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
...there are gobs of classic vintage turntables out there. I was lucky enough to find a Dual CS 530 in really good shape for $65. It is belt drive, has the ultra-low-mass (ULM) arm, and sports an Ortofon OM-10 cartridge. Sounds great! Before that, I picked up a Logic Tempo E table with a Magnapan arm: $50, needs work, but it is rather exotic. Vintage, carefully chosen, can give you a lot more bang for the buck. I'm lucky here in Kansas City, as a local flea market dealer has possibly the biggest hoard of vintage tables in the midwest - I got the Dual there.

Laz

Any chance you might post some photos on this site, particularly the Logic since I've never seen one? Thanks!

3db
10-07-2005, 07:32 PM

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

I brought Yes "Fragile" over to one of the better hif-fi shops and they looked at the album 1st before putting it on a turnatble. They were impressed with how clean it looked. They put it on a NAD533 with the goldrige cartfidge and I must say I was quiet relieved when I heard the music. It did not sound gravelly or coarse like it did on that POS realistic that I bought over 20 years ago. And thats how old my Yes vinyl is too minus maybe a couple of years. I'm so relieved. Now all I need to is figure what TT (I'm liking the NAD alot) to get. Is E-BAy a good place to get turntables? I'm guessin no because of the finicky nature of the beast

RGA
10-08-2005, 10:41 PM
If you're in Canada then Canuck Audio Mart or Audiogon for the US and Canada re good places.

Have you given a listen to the Pro-Ject Debut II -- it's cheaper than the NAD and it's very good. I have the NAD 533 and I would definitely listen to the Pro-Ject if you can.

If you're on Vancouver Island I'd sell you mine as I have sights on an upgrade.

Also You could try slightly used turntables that your dealers may have -- a 1 year old Roksan probably goes for between the price of a NAD 533 and a Rega 3.

Turntables have relativley high depreciation.

RGA
10-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Also I was reading in Hi-fi choice that Goldring has a turntable that is also a Rega P2 -- and that NAD has 533 replacement. I did not read too close but it seemed the Goldring was cheaper and they liked it more -- maybe you want to check it out -- same table for less money - that's always nice as well.