How to handle an overpowered amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to handle an overpowered amp

The Grudge
10-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi, thanks for checking my post out. I am in a unique situation for me, I actually have more power than my speakers (Energy C-5) are rated to handle (first time in my life), in fact double. :eek: Although I am careful, I do listen to music loud at times and I am concerned about the potential for speaker damage. The speakers I have are rated to 150 watts, but the amp is a 300 watt NAD 2600A. Quite powerful from what I hear so I am concerned this is to big a mismatch. Any thoughts out there or encouraging don't worry about it experiences?

:)

Florian
10-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Dont worry, the NAD is ABLE to deliver more than enough power but if you dont use it it wont damage anything. :cool:

-Flo

GMichael
10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
If it starts to sound distorted, turn it down. Otherwise, no problem.

markw
10-02-2005, 05:50 PM
If it starts to sound distorted, turn it down. Otherwise, no problem.Audio rule # 1. Only thing I would add to it is one word at the end of that statement. The word "NOW!"

FWIW, rule #2 is always power down equipment when kerfutzing with wires. If you follow both, your toys should last a long time.

DcnBlu
10-02-2005, 05:51 PM
No worries, your NAD can't hurt your speakers, only you can do that. Having more power is a good thing, to little power is a bad thing. Now go on, enjoy all your favorites and smile.

Florian
10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
And when switching between sources that have different output voltage make sure to turn it down too. My friend didnt, and his Krells blasted close to 1.8KW into a bass panel which ripped it in half like a phonebook. Was expensive!

Don't worry, its no problem.

-Flo