any Perfect Circle fans in here [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : any Perfect Circle fans in here

3-LockBox
10-02-2005, 03:12 PM
A young woman at work was telling me about them. We were exchanging ideas on music; I was gushing about Porcupine Tree, and she said she really loved Tool (she looked at me kinda inquizically when I said that I'd be willing to give Tool a try, though).

Then she mentioned that the way I was describing PT reminded her of Perfect Circle, which I guess is a side project of the lead singer from Tool.

So anyone here recommend Perfect Circle? or even some Tool for that matter?

The Grudge
10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I am a big fan of both and if you like really, really, good rock music with actual messages beyond lets party dude, than you will like these bands. I do find some of the tracks from A Perfect Circle less than compelling, but their first album Mer de Noms is all 100% good.

The guitarist from The Smashing Pumpkins is with APC. I have seen APC in concert twice and Tool once, both memerable live acts for sure. If you buy any Tool album, purchase Lateralus first. It is their most recent album and we waited 6 years for it! Tool doesn't rush to get albums out which means what they release is really worth releasing. The first track on Lateralus titled The Grudge (my handle in these forums) is stellar as is track 9, Lateralus. The 5th track titled Schism is freaky good. If you are a drummer than the drummer for Tool may simply be the best drummer ever in any genre, he is that good. It is almost impossible to believe that a person is capable of what he does.

I remember listening to the albums before seeing Tool live and thinking it can't be possible. I lucked into an amazing position in general admission with a great view of the stage. I saw everything this guy did (Danny Carey), and I am still in disbelief to this day. Give Tool a try first, but be advised, it is heavy music and toward the darker spectrum at times.

:)

audiobill
10-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey, 3-Lock.

I, too, would recommend Tool from most recent to earliest: Lateralus > Aenima > Undertow.

Like Grudge, I absolutely adore this band's music. Well worth a try, especially if you like Porcupine Tree.

Mer de Noms or Thirteenth Step are where you should start with A Perfect Circle.

Although I like both bands, I find myself reaching for Tool more ofen, than A Perfect Circle.

Btw., Don't listen to the alt/indie snobs who might consider these bands mainstream. They don't know %$##t.

Let us know what you think,

Bill

Slosh
10-02-2005, 11:36 PM
The guitarist from The Smashing Pumpkins is with APC.Actually he was a guitar tech for the Pumpkins I believe. James Iha played with Whiskeytown (assuming this was the same person).

I like Mer De Noms a lot but Thirteenth Step bored me to death so I kinda gave up on them after that. Lateralus is a snoozefest for me but their first three albums are all really good for the most part. "Four Degrees" and "Eulogy" are probably my favorite songs from Tool.

kexodusc
10-03-2005, 05:58 AM
I like every Tool album alot. Don't think I have a favorite. Tool has been able to reinvent their sound on every album, something PT has seemed to struggle a bit with after the earlier changes (though they are a bit more straight-forward prog-metal now than artsy stuff).

I'm with Slosh on APC though, I was very much disappointed with Thirteenth Step. Lots of people seem to like it though. For a side project, I thought Mer De Noms was a very good album. I wouldn't put APC anywhere near Tool or Porcupine Tree though.
Worth a few spins though, you might like them.

richmon
10-03-2005, 07:55 AM
I like Tool's 'Anemia' and APC's 'Thirteenth step' the best. I have just about everything from both bands catalog. Funny, there's a few PCircle songs that strongly remind me of PTree, but overall the only similarity is the contrasting heavy and quiet interplay. Tool also uses that interplay to good effect.

Shoot me your address woodya 3lb, I've got that IQ disc to send you and can include some Tool and/or Perfect Circle.

ToddL
10-03-2005, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=Slosh]Actually he was a guitar tech for the Pumpkins I believe. James Iha played with Whiskeytown (assuming this was the same person).
QUOTE]
James was the guitar player for the Pumpkins. Also, some bad news for you APC fans, heard from a reliable source that they are on indefinate inactive

Dusty Chalk
10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
James was one of the guitar players for SmashPups (after having seen them live, I still think of Billy Corgan as the lead guitar player.

3lb -- I concur with what's been said. Not sure how heavy your tastes go, but if they do, I think you'd like them. They definitely will appeal to your current proggy inclinations.

MomurdA
10-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Tool used to be one of my favs. I generally listen to more chilled out stuff now, but when i want it loud and to sound good, i turn up the tool. Lateralus is good, so are the others, and if you can find a live album grab it. There is a live version of Salival Pu**** that is mind-bending,. but i cant remember which album it is on.

JSE
10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Any word on when Tool might spring a new one on us?

Slosh
10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Actually he was a guitar tech for the Pumpkins I believe. James Iha played with Whiskeytown (assuming this was the same person).

James was the guitar player for the Pumpkins.Isn't that what I implied? :confused: I just wasn't sure if this is the same James Iha, being that Smashing Pumpkins and Whiskeytown sound nothing alike.

The Grudge
10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Two things, James Iha did play with A Perfect Circle, I saw them in concert for the 13 Steps tour and it was James Iha. And the name of the disc from Tool with the live track mentioned is Opiate.

3-LockBox
10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I actually went out last night and picked up <i>Lateralus</i> and <i>Mel de mor(?)</i>. I spent nearly the entire rest of the night and all day today listening and ....

I'll wait to post it on the Tuesday thread (yeah, like you're all waiting with baited breath)

3-LockBox
10-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Give Tool a try first, but be advised, it is heavy music and toward the darker spectrum at times.:)

Heavy...dark...:rolleyes: have you ever heard of <b>Pain Of Salvation</b>?

jrhymeammo
10-03-2005, 09:07 PM
A young woman at work was telling me about them. We were exchanging ideas on music; I was gushing about Porcupine Tree, and she said she really loved Tool (she looked at me kinda inquizically when I said that I'd be willing to give Tool a try, though).

Then she mentioned that the way I was describing PT reminded her of Perfect Circle, which I guess is a side project of the lead singer from Tool.

If I had to compare their music to Beer and Cigarette, I would hsve to say that Perfect Circle is Tool Light. I have bootleg of both bands played at the Red Rocks in Denver. every music serves specific situation.

Have you ever heard of King Crimson. If you haven't, you should give them a try, you can really tell that Tool was heavily influenced by this band.

Duds
10-05-2005, 12:29 PM
In my opinion, they are the best band out there. Like someone else said, they reinvent themselves with each album. no one mentioned their EP called Opiate though, i absolutley love that cd. Much different then the stuff they put out now, a lot heavier, angrier. I've seen Tool 5 times live, they are killer live, my favorite live band.

I love APC too. It bother me though when people say they dont sound like Tool. Well no Sh*t, just because its Maynard singing, doesnt mean they should sound like Tool.

Duds
10-05-2005, 12:32 PM
i'm hearing early 2006, but we all know how Tool is!!! They want the absolute best, and will delay it until they reach that

Any word on when Tool might spring a new one on us?

The Grudge
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Actually Duds, I did mention Opiate in this thread.

Duds
10-06-2005, 05:09 AM
My bad!!!

By the way, is Danny Carey amazing or what? I read what you said about seeing him live, i swear the guy has 4 arms!!

Actually Duds, I did mention Opiate in this thread.

Geoffcin
10-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Scared a few of my audiophile friends once when I had Tool Aenima cued up in the CD player at more than politically correct levels.

Dusty Chalk
10-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Scared a few of my audiophile friends once when I had Tool Aenima cued up in the CD player at more than politically correct levels.Yeah, I don't usually play music loud, but every once in a while, you got to crank it a bit (one of the reasons I like my Dynaudio's -- they sound quite good at a variety of volumes).