Question about using Denon3802 as a power Amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about using Denon3802 as a power Amp

minye
10-02-2005, 02:28 PM
My 3802 started some trouble to me. It gives statistic noise in right front channel. So I am taking this chance to do a system upgrade. I bought Paradigm studio40 and Bryston 3B Amp and B&K reference20 pre-pro. Now I am thinking if I can use Denon 3802 as a power amp to drive Center and surround channels. Is that right I should connect B&K processor's pre-outs of center and surround channels to 3802's Ext-in?

If this works, I would be happy my Denon can still do some jobs.

N. Abstentia
10-02-2005, 06:12 PM
That's some nice equipment you added there...would be a shame to totally 'ghetto' the whole thing by doing what you're thinking of doing. Spend a couple of hundred bucks for a good 2 channel amp, or use that money to upgrade to a 5 channel Bryston. Please don't say you can't afford to do that, if that were true you would not have bought Bryston seperates :)

Why didn't you just buy a 5 channel Bryston amp in the first place??

L.J.
10-02-2005, 07:05 PM
N.Abstentia,

Nice setup you got going. I'm so freakin jealous. I gotta baby coming real soon and his room and my HT room are gonna share a wall. Guess who won't be blastin movies till midnight anymore. =(

minye
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
I've got a big hole in my bank now which is all because I have been hanging here and listening to the guys like you for too much. :-) I have learned quite a lot from you guys...

I have bought Studio 40 v3, Bryston 3B and B&K Ref20 within last 10 days and I have not let my wife know yet... Now I really can't afford spending a penny on it any more.

My original idea is to upgrade main speakers and go seperates for music. But my Denon got troubled, so also I need a HT controller now. I considered some receivers (NAD T753...)and processors. I found this used B&K Ref20 very good value. It is a good 5.1 HT processor but also good for 2 channels. Bang for the buck is always what I should consider,you know...

I used to have a idea (someone posted somewhere) that 3 stereo amps should be better than one 6-channel amp. A 5 channel Bryston is gonna kill my wallet. So maybe in the future I will buy another 2-channel amps to do the work of surrounds. But now I just want to see if my 7.1 Denon receiver (6.1 work fine) can do the work or not. If it can, I think for Denon amp section, driving 3 channels should give better power than driving 7 channels. And other channels are not as important as the fronts. So I really hope it can still drive the surrounds for a while. And furthermore, my surrounds are still Klipsch ones and they don't deserve Bryston power, right?

N. Abstentia
10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks L.J. :)

I'll be entertaining this weekend I hope! Carpet goes down hopefully Tuesday. Might not be air conditioned by then, but I'm wanting to get it cranking!

N.Abstentia,

Nice setup you got going. I'm so freakin jealous. I gotta baby coming real soon and his room and my HT room are gonna share a wall. Guess who won't be blastin movies till midnight anymore. =(

N. Abstentia
10-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Come on man, what have you spent so far? $3000? More? For just a couple of hundred bucks you can get another amp to do it right. Keep an eye on ebay...I snatched a 5 channel Carver for $180 a few weeks back. I will use it to drive my PATIO speaker for cripes sake! Get an amp, man!

You could also keep an eye out for one of those killer 3 channel Acurus amps, but it will be closer to the $400-$500 range.

minye
10-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Oh, you...I am being pushed again in the website... :)

I have been doing research for the mains and amp for a while. I got pretty good deals for used. I got Studio 40 V3 for $900, Bryston 3B for $400 (should be still in warrenty as I looked at shape of its face plate). B&K Ref 20 is $420. I haven't received them yet. But hopefully they are in the good condition as they were described.

I didn't get a 7.1 channel processor that supports surround back channel. I do have built a stand for one rear channel in my living room. Do you think DD EX and DTS ES are much better than 5.1? I didn't buy a 7.1 pre-pro because they are too pricy, normall double or tripple the 5.1 one in the same brand. I feel not very cost efficient.

I should get a 3-channel or 2 stereo amps but not now. I should try to hook up the above three first. when I am not satisfied with the surround channels, then amps...I will find only changing amp does help much because my surround speakers are klipsch which are already pretty sensitive and efficient. So I need also replace them by some better one. OK , I can be satisfied with all 5 channels now, but I will find the bass is too boomy because it is a JBL PB12...new power sub is welcomed....Man, ;) there is no end...

L.J.
10-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Man, ;) there is no end...

Sure there is....As soon as you run out of money or your wife puts the smack down on ya. :D