rx-v2500 died [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : rx-v2500 died

Astro
10-01-2005, 09:23 PM
hey guys
recently have noticed that my 2500 will turn off somtimes when there is ligtning storm.( the light will dim when there is a flash of lightning sometimes and most times the light dims the unit will switch off. But the other night i had the unit switched off, and i went to turn it on and it was dead, i used the button on the front of the unit and it also didnt work. I had to unplug the unit and plug it back in and it worked fine. Only prob was that i lost all my settings, and seeing that i didnt write them all down for futre reference i had no idea wat the eq settings for each speaker was.
I read the trouble shooting guid in the manual and it states that if the unit dosnt turn on via the remote or the front power on button, then to unplug it from the mains and wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in. They say that cause of it is due to a strong external shock, ie lightning or static electricity.
Has anyone experienced this before and is it possible for the unit to pick up such a 'shock' or interference even when the unit is switched off. If so what ever it was has in a way freezed the memory and set the unti to the factory default settings. Unplugging the unit does not reset all the settings by the way, what ever has happend to it has caused the reset of the memory.I have also had the unit for around 11months and never experienced this before.
thanx guys

HAVIC
10-02-2005, 06:03 AM
I Know that ligtning can still kill your electronics even if it is turned off. If you do not have any ligtning protection then unplug your equipment during a lightning storm. Almost all surge protectors will not protect from a lightning strike.

thekid
10-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Lightning striking nearby will send a charge through any/all conductors. Your electronics do not have to be operating. If you live in an area prone to lightning strikes the advice above should be taken seriously. The easiest solution is to get a power center and run all connections through it including the TV cable (strikes near the underground cable are a source of many a blown tv). Then you should only have one plug to unplug when a storm is overhead.

Some units reset only when there is a power surge that threatens to overload the system and causes a shut down. Other units reset if power is disconnected for a given period of time (usually 30 seconds-1 minute). Read your owners manual for more info.

Bottom line if you live in an area prone to lightning then you only have two choices IMO. Keep your settings written down somewhere so you can reset your sytem after you unplug it or buy a surge protector (helpfully really only in a near miss) and pray the storm leaves you and your system untouched.

Astro
10-02-2005, 01:51 PM
does it sound like the same thing, when the unit shutsdown itself when a lightning strike occurs and also when i went to turn the unit on and it was dead? do they both sound linked with the same storm problem?
also could there be any other cause for the unit to just not turn on and reset its settings?

thekid
10-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Check and make sure you do not have exposed speaker wires touching in the back. Some units shut themselves down when this occurs and I did have a situation with an old Aiwa that shut down and would not power back up until I corrected the problem.

Astro
10-02-2005, 03:25 PM
im pretty sure that there wasnt ligtning outside the night it happend. Just wondering if it could happen due to a power spike or sumthing in the power lines themselves.
What ever happend it happend while the unit was off. i used it about 2-3 hours before the problem and it worked fine. i turned it off, came back around 3 hours later and it was dead!, it wouldnt turn on. And as i say i unpluged it and it worked ok after plugin it back in, but the settings were lost.

Astro
10-03-2005, 03:34 AM
i'm begining to think that mabe the reason the lights dim is also we have possums jumping on the lines every now and then,
just wondering if there is a chance that if the lines move or are being jumped and ran across by possums then would that cause the amp to shut off, or even freeze it so it wouldnt turn on again.
the amp turned off the other night exactly when the light dimmed. I thought originaly it was ligtning as there was ligtning that night, althogh tonight the lights dimmed but the amp didnt turn off and there was no ligtning, and i went outside and there was a possum directly above the line in the tree above it. Maybe its the possums? who knows