Ulla! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ulla!

ForeverAutumn
10-01-2005, 09:58 AM
I spent this morning listening to the remaster of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This is some trippy shiit.

I haven't heard this in full in well over 20 years. I'm listening to it now with much more experienced ears. I'm in awe at the brilliance of this work. The retelling of the story, the musical themes, the songs, the lyrics. This is a masterpiece. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, I think that it has to be admired for the creativity and sheer magnitude of accomplishment.

I only wish that I had a SACD player to listen to it in its full glory.

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Vinyl should be adequate.

Yeah, he was a master, wasn't he? I got the big ol' box version, and I also read the article in Sound on Sound, and between the two, I feel an order of magnitude more ...erm... "intimate" with the recording. There are so many wonderful moments. Listen, for example, how the mix gets more confined and claustrophobic just before the climactic reiteration of the main theme during the finale. Absolutely inspired.

I have an SACD player, but I really need to hear the surround mix.

ForeverAutumn
10-02-2005, 06:00 AM
I have an SACD player, but I really need to hear the surround mix.

The surround mix is what I was referring to. I'll bet that hearing those Martians from every angle would send chills down my spine. Ah, but I may never know. :(

3-LockBox
10-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I spent this morning listening to the remaster of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. This is some trippy shiit.

I haven't heard this in full in well over 20 years. I'm listening to it now with much more experienced ears. I'm in awe at the brilliance of this work. The retelling of the story, the musical themes, the songs, the lyrics. This is a masterpiece. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, I think that it has to be admired for the creativity and sheer magnitude of accomplishment.

I only wish that I had a SACD player to listen to it in its full glory.

Do you own the first issue CD version of WOTW? I have it, and I wasn't pleased with the sound quality. Is the remastered version worth buying it over again?

ForeverAutumn
10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Do you own the first issue CD version of WOTW? I have it, and I wasn't pleased with the sound quality. Is the remastered version worth buying it over again?

I don't have the original version. But I think that Barry does. I could borrow his and do a comparison if you want.

BarryL
10-03-2005, 05:59 AM

I heard the new version as an MP3 on my iPod, and it sounded spectacular. I can only imagine that the new CD sounds even better.

But I haven't heard both together.

Mike
10-03-2005, 06:34 AM
I listened to the remaster recently and although it has some cheesy moments IMO, on the whole it's stood the test of time pretty well, always good for a long night journey in the car.

I used to have the vinyl passed down from my sister years ago which then ended up on a tape so I hadn't heard the original in a long time and it was a bit of a nostalgia trip, but this latest version sounds pretty good.

Cheers
Mike