Subwoofer Low Level LFE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Low Level LFE

Eric Z
10-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Hello, everyone-

I couldn't pass up a deal on a new subwoofer, Definitive Technology PS100, to replace my Definitive Technology PS80. My question is regarding the low level inputs.

On the PS80, I have 3 options:
1. High level speaker wire connection
2. Low Level Left/Right
3. LFE input

On the PS100, I only have 2 options:
1. High level speaker wire connection
2. Low Level Left/Right

When my PS80 was hooked up, I just had a subwoofer cable running from my receiver to the separate LFE input.

How should I hook up my PS100? Should I get a splitter so both Left/Right Low Level inputs are used? Should I just plug in the cable into one of the inputs (Left or Right)? Is it better to use a high level connection? Why would one subwoofer have the separate LFE input and one not?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

Eric Z
10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
a few more things, guys-

i found the manual and it read i can use either the left or the right low level input in the subwoofer- good to know.

it also reads if you use a y-connector to split the mono output into separate left and right inputs you'll get a slight increase in gain. any thoughts? of course i can pick up a splitter, but just wondering if anyone has experiences with this.

it also seems like the manual speaks highly of using the high level connections. do others agree with this?

*what's the benefit of high level connections?
*does this have something to do with the crossover?
*if high level connections are being used, are you using the crossover on the sub?
*if low level used, you use the crossover on the receiver?

as you see, i have a handful of questions- still trying to figure out this ht stuff.

thanks again, everyone!
eric

poneal
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
buy a subwoofer cable with an attached Y-adaptor. Or just buy one for a few dollars. The reason for the small increase is because the amp is now taking both channels and converting to mono for processing by the plate amp. Using speaker level inputs are nice because you can then use the plate amp to divide the signal instead of the receiver picking it for you. The only problem with this is if the L+R don't get the full-range signal then you will be missing out on a DVD encoded with an LFE specific track (ie x.1). Either way will work and the cable means less speaker cable clutter.

Eric Z
10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
thanks, poneal! one more question now- if i am using the subwoofer cable (with or without a splitter), then i need to use my receiver for the crossover, right? i don't totally understand the crossover purpose.

thanks again.
eric