Driving a hydrogen powered Fuel Cell car today! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Driving a hydrogen powered Fuel Cell car today!

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I'll be attending a GM press event in San Jose today. They're showing off their fuel cell technology, and I am going to get to test drive one of their hydrogen cars! I can't wait! I'm going to take some photos too, and I'll post them over on our car site. They're going to have some engineers on hand too, so if you have any good questions for these guys, let me know!

Eric

GMichael
09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Guys,

I'll be attending a GM press event in San Jose today. They're showing off their fuel cell technology, and I am going to get to test drive one of their hydrogen cars! I can't wait! I'm going to take some photos too, and I'll post them over on our car site. They're going to have some engineers on hand too, so if you have any good questions for these guys, let me know!

Eric

What are they using to store the hydrogen? What purity is it? How are they keeping it from going FWOOOMPT!?

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Bada Bing!

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:17 PM
fwooompt!?

GMichael
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
fwooompt!?

KABOOM?

JSE
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
fwooompt!?

Boom?

GMichael
09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Have you ever heard hydrogen when it goes off? Kinda of a cross between fwoomp and pop.

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
well this has been a wonderfully intelligent discussion about alternative fuels. Thank you all, for your enlightened and informed contributions!

:p

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Anytime. But I really did mean what I asked. How are they getting around it's very explosive properties? Storing it in liquid I assume.

Good question, I will ask them.

GMichael
09-30-2005, 12:48 PM
well this has been a wonderfully intelligent discussion about alternative fuels. Thank you all, for your enlightened and informed contributions!

:p

Anytime. But I really did mean what I asked. How are they getting around it's very explosive properties? Storing it in liquid I assume.

JSE
09-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Kinda of a cross between fwoomp and pop.

Ahhhhhhh..........................FWOOOMPT! :cool:

JSE

hometheaterbug
10-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Hydrogen powered cars are a great solution.Tell the fireman that when they arrive on scene for a rescue that there is hydrogen leaking from one of the cars....goodbye 10 square city blocks.There is a reason we have hydrogen bombs in our nuclear arsenal, it kills on a massive scale!

GMichael
10-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Good question, I will ask them.

So, what did they say? How are they getting around the danger thing?
How was it?
Any power?
Run quiet?
How long do they expect a typical engine to last?
How many miles per explosion?
Oops, couldn't help myself.

Kaboom
10-10-2005, 03:15 AM
yeah, hydrogen kills on a massive scale when you're talking about FUSION. exploding hydrogen is a chemical, not nuclear reaction, so the energy released is MUCH lower.
yeah. granted you dont wanna be near a hydrogen tank when it goes fwooooompt or boom or kaboom or whatever, but it isnt as destructive as its made out to be.
Cheers!

JSE
10-10-2005, 09:09 AM
yeah, hydrogen kills on a massive scale when you're talking about FUSION. exploding hydrogen is a chemical, not nuclear reaction, so the energy released is MUCH lower.
yeah. granted you dont wanna be near a hydrogen tank when it goes fwooooompt or boom or kaboom or whatever, but it isnt as destructive as its made out to be.
Cheers!

HeHe, Kaboom said Kaboom. :D

piece-it pete
10-10-2005, 09:48 AM
HeHe, Kaboom said Kaboom. :D

lolol

Pete

ericl
10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I need to go back and make some edits, but here's the article:

http://carreview.com/hydrogencrx.aspx

GMichael
10-10-2005, 10:15 AM
I need to go back and make some edits, but here's the article:

http://carreview.com/hydrogencrx.aspx

Thanks Ericl,

It's nice to get the inside scoop.

I have ideas on how to produce the electricity needed to make all the hydrogen they could ever need. But I don't think the environmentalists would go for putting generators at the base of every major waterfall.