DIY Subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Subwoofer

poneal
01-08-2004, 05:45 PM
OK, I've answered enough questions so its time for me to ask one. I'm taking the DIY route on a subwoofer. Parts Express has the DAYTON 12" TITANIC MKIII. I plan on having this in a sealed enclosure. Is this a good driver for a sub? Also does anyone know what the best enclosure size for this sub is? Thanks in advance.

This Guy
01-08-2004, 06:10 PM
yeh the titanic is a nice sub. Download the "speaker Box design" program and it will help you make the best box givin your amplifier power. They work good in 2-3 cubic foot sealed cabinets, but download the program and play with it and see which box gets you the best results.

-Joey

poneal
01-08-2004, 06:47 PM
yeh the titanic is a nice sub. Download the "speaker Box design" program and it will help you make the best box givin your amplifier power. They work good in 2-3 cubic foot sealed cabinets, but download the program and play with it and see which box gets you the best results.

-Joey
Joey, found a program to calculate. The page said that a QTC of .707 would make music sound as close to the original recording as possible. I entered in the values from parts express and in order to get a .707 it said i need a 1.65 cubic foot sealed enclosure. My question is do i need to make the box bigger since the driver and stuffing will take up room? If so how many cubic feet should I add in order to get an internal volume of 1.65? Also, I plan on powering this sub with a peavy 150 watt into 4ohm external amp that I have laying around. Will this be sufficient to drive the sub? Thanks alot. Paul

This Guy
01-08-2004, 08:08 PM
between 1.75 and 1.8. It doesn't really matter, you wouldn't hear an audible difference between 1.7 and 1.8 cubic feet. I just put this driver in my program and got the same results you did. I would also reccomend you maybe saving up another $50 for the 15" version and put it in a 3.16 cubic foot box, it will go up to 5 decibels louder with the ame power, and about 3 decibels louder between 20 and 40 hertz. With this box you could give it more then a kilowatt without over powering it. If you don't want to thats fine, just throwing out ideas. Whatever you go with, I reccomend you save up for one of those nice 1000 watt plate amps they have for $400 these drivers love power and are known to clip amps. Good luck man.

-joey

poneal
01-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks, I'm trying to keep the cost down (you know after christmas and all). I think I'll try the peavy initially and if it seems to not perform well go with your recommendation for a powerful plate amp. I also will probably save up the extra 50 and get the 15 incher. Wow thats a big puppy. Thanks. When I get it built, I will take some pictures and post it here and let everyone know how it sounds.

This Guy
01-09-2004, 03:12 PM
good luck with the project, i think you will like it. But first, if you buy the Titanic, make sure you have that 1000 watt plate amp in there some day cause you would be wasting the driver on lower power. If you don't think you'll get a real powerful amp some day, save your money and get the Dayton 15" DVC which will go just as loud with the same amount of power, but its $135 and doesn't handle as much power. So if you buy this driver, have upgrading the amplifier in mind, otherwise just go with the DVC.

-Joey