The Decemberists [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists

MomurdA
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Heard these guys on the radio (WPRK) the other day so i decided to give their new cd(picaresque) a listen. I really like the storytelling in their songs. The music is kind of simple, but thats good in this case. Reminds of Marty Robbins as far as the storytelling goes. Fun to listen to. The Mariner's Revenge is a standout.

Slosh
09-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, they're great. Try Castaways & Cutouts next. Her Majesty, The Decemberists is excellent as well but a little different from the other two albums.

Monkey Bones
09-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Hard to believe there's such a big market for this effete rubbish nowadays. It used to be that you couldn't even give away this kind of self-indulgent baroque gimmicry. Monkey say no.

and now, for the rest of the story from the monkey nemesis (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=57880&postcount=4)

;)

MomurdA
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
how is it self indulgent if they are singing about fictitious characters in fantasy land?

-Jar-
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
don't mind the monkey.. he just sits over there and throws poop on occasion..

just spank him and he'll behave.

-jar

Monkey Bones
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
how is it self indulgent if they are singing about fictitious characters in fantasy land?
So the effete rubbish and baroque gimmicry comments were OK, but I crossed the line at self-indulgent, eh? Hehehe, just kidding around Momurd. If you clicked on that link you'd see that I love the Decemberists. Ah, the pitfall of internet humor. Guess you don't hang around here enough with the handful of us left to know that sometimes we joke around. Or try to. And also, Monkey Bones and Davey are pretty much the same doofus ;)

For some reason your name reminds me of that fun song that opens the first Peter Gabriel solo album called Moribund The Burgermeister. Guess I must've displaced some of the letters in my mind cause it's obviously a lot different. I've been listening to that great new Elbow album a ton lately and it really puts me to thinking about some of Gabriel's best stuff. Nice album.

MomurdA
09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
to be honest i dont know what effete means. but the baroque gimmicry i was ok with, baroque isnt bad if its good. MoMurdA, my online name since 1998 when i played counterstrike all the time, from Bone Thugs n Harmony.

Slosh
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
don't mind the monkey.. just spank him and he'll behave.
I'll have to use that line on my next new girlfriend :D

Monkey Bones
09-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll have to use that line on my next new girlfriend :D
hey! Hey! HEY! Quit jacking Momurd's nice thread with all your silly monkey business! Moderator? Could you please delete all this vulgar monkey spankin' crap and ban these childish troublemakers once and for all?! Thank you.

Must be Friday. Wish I had a beer. Anybody got a beer yet? Any suggestions for a good Friday night kind of brew? Gotta get some tonight. Beer, I mean.

tentoze
09-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Friday night is mass-market night- the only thing I can afford (with hard-earned cash, BTW) in enough quantity to wash away the week.

audiobill
10-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Heard these guys on the radio (WPRK) the other day so i decided to give their new cd(picaresque) a listen. I really like the storytelling in their songs. The music is kind of simple, but thats good in this case. Reminds of Marty Robbins as far as the storytelling goes. Fun to listen to. The Mariner's Revenge is a standout.

You'll note that, all monkey buisness aside, The Decemrists are one of the favourite bands of most RaveReckers.

As for Friday and, for that matter, any time of the week beer I'd have to toss my beer cap to the Germans this week: Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse - 20 .5Litre bottles for 45$ Canadian.
Best beer I've had, since my last visit to Munich.

Cheers,

Bill

Monkey Bones
10-01-2005, 08:33 AM
As for Friday and, for that matter, any time of the week beer I'd have to toss my beer cap to the Germans this week: Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse - 20 .5Litre bottles for 45$ Canadian.
Ya know, your loonies are almost the same as our Yankee dollars nowadays. Hadn't checked the exchange rate in quite awhile, but a buddy of mine and his family were vacationing in and around Vancouver a couple weeks ago I was surprised at how expensive he said everything was. Oh well, I bet that is some good Hefeweizen. Looks like it's rated pretty high at http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=652. Is that the one? Wound up with some Newcastle Brown Ale myself. Not one of my favorites, but it is pretty good, and I definitely wanted an ale, and last but certainly not least, it was on sale for a good price :)

ForeverAutumn
10-01-2005, 10:09 AM
enough quantity to wash away the week.

That would be a great line for a song. Or maybe it already is :confused: . I can never be quite sure around here. :D

audiobill
10-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Ya know, your loonies are almost the same as our Yankee dollars nowadays. Hadn't checked the exchange rate in quite awhile, but a buddy of mine and his family were vacationing in and around Vancouver a couple weeks ago I was surprised at how expensive he said everything was. Oh well, I bet that is some good Hefeweizen. Looks like it's rated pretty high at http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=652. Is that the one? Wound up with some Newcastle Brown Ale myself. Not one of my favorites, but it is pretty good, and I definitely wanted an ale, and last but certainly not least, it was on sale for a good price :)

That's the one. It's dee-licious.
Our loonie dollar, btw, hit a 13-year high note. Hope it stays there, or better, for our week-long trip to Arizona, in March.
Yeah. The Newcastle is quite good, esp. when you can pick it up for a deal.
Enjoy,

Bill

Slosh
10-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I got me some Hofbrau Oktoberfest ale last night. If you can find a better beer for $20 a case, umm, buy it for me! :)

I went to visit a friend last night that I hardly ever get to see because she lives 85 miles away. Listened to Mike's outstanding Shadow of a Man comp on the way up. That's a bit outside of her tastes so I grabbed Mr MF's equally excellent Porch comp out of the glove box and she liked that one enough to burn a copy for herself. She made me a copy of Cold Roses but I haven't been in the mood to listen to it yet. We did listen to the new McCartney and meh. Three or four quality songs but not worth buying in my opinion. Then she put on Ben Fold's Rockin' the Suburbs, which I quite enjoyed. Then we watched The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I hadn't read that since I was like twelve but it seemed pretty faithful to the book as far as I could tell. I set myself up to be disappointed so I wouldn't be let down by the film but they did a really good job with it.

~Slosh - Hey! I can be president of the galaxy too since I don't have a fully functional brain! :D

-Jar-
10-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I~Slosh - Hey! I can be president of the galaxy too since I don't have a fully functional brain! :D

Or at least President of the United States.

:D

Dusty Chalk
10-01-2005, 09:46 PM
don't mind the monkey.. he just sits over there and throws poop on occasion..

just spank him and he'll behave.I lol'd. Monkey Bones == Poo Flinger. And we're alright with that.