Help with choosing speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing speakers

brennanc
09-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi.

I am a student who loves his classic rock. My favorite bands are Journey and Styx. Currently I have a Denon UD-M30 micro system with two Mission MS-50 speakers. This system does a nice job, however as my audio needs grow I want to expand. My room is basically mid size with a high seiling. The Denon I currently have only allows two speakers, so I am upgrading to hopefully a more powerful Denon reciever. I would like to find two bookshelf speakers that do a great job playing my genre of audio. I would also like these speakers to complement my mission speakers, as they will be used for rears. I want to use the new speakers for fronts. I have looked extensivly at Bose and decided they weren't what I wanted. So then I started to look at the Klipsch (how do you pronounce?) and was very pleased with reviews. I looked at their RB-25 and RB-35 models. I am thinking the RB-35's may be a bit much. My brother has two Cambridge Sound Works M60's right next to my room, and he overpowers me quite often. I would like to be able to hear my music over his. Any advice you can give me on speakers would be greatly appriciated. Thank you. Also what do you know about the Klipsch, are they good, I have read from numerous people they are. Also good things about Polk audio. Thank you for your time.

Florian
09-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Welcome to audioreview!

The Klipsch speakers are quite good and very efficent which means that you do not need a lot of power to drive them to levels above your brothers. What is your budget?

-Flo

brennanc
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
My budget is $350-$400 so whichever one (rb-25/35) fits the budget.

Brennan

Geoffcin
09-28-2005, 03:19 PM
My budget is $350-$400 so whichever one (rb-25/35) fits the budget.

Brennan

CSW makes a bigger speaker, the M80's, that are of a classic design, but use modern hi-tech materials.

brennanc
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Sorry one other thing. Are you saying that Klipsch uses older materials and techniques than say polk or CSW? I'm just wondering. Something that will fit the bill and perform well for my genre of music. Thats all I'm looking at. Just wondering about your comment.

Mark111867
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I second the CSW Newton M80's. There are currently a few pairs going for $275.00 on e-bay. Good luck and enjoy.

brennanc
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
The only problem I find with the M60's are that they are quite warm for the music I listen to. The guitar solos sound to warm and not very sharp. Also, what is the difference metween the Klipsch refrence speakers and the synergy speakers. What would you recommend for a reciever, what wattage. As you can tell, I'm somewhat new to this

Geoffcin
09-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Sorry one other thing. Are you saying that Klipsch uses older materials and techniques than say polk or CSW? I'm just wondering. .

No, I don't know where you would get that from my post.

Something that will fit the bill and perform well for my genre of music. Thats all I'm looking at. Just wondering about your comment.

Infinity also makes some good speakers in the price range your looking at.

texlle
09-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Look into B&W. They make very popular speakers in almost every price range.

brennanc
09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Thank you guys very much for your input!!!!

Woochifer
09-30-2005, 03:06 PM
What speakers have you actually listened to? Having heard the CSW Newtons gives you a pretty good reference into that lineup. If you like them, their tonal characteristics should work fine with the music you're looking at.

For 70s rock, the vintage JBLs work great (but don't sound as good with newer music and other genres), and the Klipsch speakers are also a good match. Another set of speakers that you should listen to would be Definitive Technology. They're not my favorite speakers, but they work very well with classic rock sources.

The B&Ws generally have a more balanced sound with not a lot of midbass bump like you get with a lot of other speakers. They're typically versatile speakers that should work with a wide range of sources, even if they sound less than optimal with the classic rock that you listen to.

You should also look into the Canadian makes like Paradigm, Energy, and PSB. They generally have very good midrange accuracy with decent imaging and off-axis response. The more expensive models will give you more refinement, while their entry level models will have a more aggressive sound that boosts the midbass somewhat. Polk is similar in that regard.