Anyone familiar with Aragon Stage One Pre/Pro? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Aragon Stage One Pre/Pro?

Jim Clark
09-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm currently using a 3802 as a pre while I decide what road to take. I have an option to buy a new Aragon Stage One for two big bills and am trying to decide if it's worth it.

1. The problems I see with it so far:
a. Klipsch doesn't seem eager to drive this line and is pulling it out of production. Knowing the company I'd guess service would not be a problem though. Still, I think it is at the end of it's "upgradeability"
b. Not really wild about an LCD touchpad remote - a Neo Pronto
c. No OSD - they believe the circuitry interferes with audio, hence they dropped it.

I could also buy an Integra DTC 9.4 and Rotel 1098 for essentially the same price. The only thing I know for sure is that I like the "intellivolume" on Onkyo Products but honestly I've never found anything else I liked about Onkyo but that experience has been limited to their past receivers and this is a new ball game. Maybe hold out for a used Anthem AVM 30?

Can anyone straighten my head out on this one? Does one clearly "blow the others away"? I'm in a bit over my head on this one and could use an opinion or two.

Regards,
jc

N. Abstentia
09-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Have you looked at the Outlaw 990? I was going with the Anthem AVM 30 until I found the Outlaw for half the price :)

Jim Clark
09-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Have you looked at the Outlaw 990? I was going with the Anthem AVM 30 until I found the Outlaw for half the price :)

I have - it's fugly! ;)

Seems to have more features than the Sherwood so it was in the running for a while. What took it out, and again this is entirely subjective and may be inaccurate, were the comments that I've read on boards like AVS comparing the music output compared to other processors. While I haven't read about any damnation, I haven't read anything touting it prowess with toons and usually it's the opposite. Movies are a different matter as I'm sure it's able to more than hold it's own. Since music is the most important to me (maybe I should have mentioned that?) that's my guiding light.

Thanks,
jc

topspeed
09-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey Jim,

I never knew Aragon was linked to Klipsch. Huh, learn sumthin' new every day :). With they way processing changes hourly, I'd be hesitant to buy anything that wasn't upgradeable. I've heard my friends Halo C2 and it struck me as being very neutral and was fully upgradeable via firewire. It also had a full complement of balanced inputs/outputs. Neat.

There is this Halo C1 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1132131808) available on audiogon right now. This is Parasound's flagship. I've never heard it, but the C2 would leave me to believe this is a pretty impressive unit. Auto calibration, full upgradeability, the works. Here is a link (http://www.parasound.com/halonew/C1front.php) if you are unfamiliar with the controller. The remote that was packaged with the C2 was not touchscreen (although it did have an lcd readout) and was very cool. Because you can never have too many options :D.

http://www.mavromatic.com/images/Parasound_C1.jpg

Hairsonfire
09-29-2005, 09:31 AM
And any time I have called for support (never any problems - just looking for advice) they have been outstanding. I have the ACT III and I am very impressed with its performance with regard to HT. Don't use it for music - that's another system in another room.

Jim Clark
09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey Jim,

I never knew Aragon was linked to Klipsch. Huh, learn sumthin' new every day :). With they way processing changes hourly, I'd be hesitant to buy anything that wasn't upgradeable. I've heard my friends Halo C2 and it struck me as being very neutral and was fully upgradeable via firewire. It also had a full complement of balanced inputs/outputs. Neat.

There is this Halo C1 (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1132131808) available on audiogon right now. This is Parasound's flagship. I've never heard it, but the C2 would leave me to believe this is a pretty impressive unit. Auto calibration, full upgradeability, the works. Here is a link (http://www.parasound.com/halonew/C1front.php) if you are unfamiliar with the controller. The remote that was packaged with the C2 was not touchscreen (although it did have an lcd readout) and was very cool. Because you can never have too many options :D.

http://www.mavromatic.com/images/Parasound_C1.jpg

That is one L of a pre and not something I had previously considered. Balanced ins and outs are another key feature. I'll do some digging on this and see if it's something I can stretch for. Right now the Halo and Arcam AVM 30 seem to be my most likely targets.

As always, thanks for the advice.

jc

Jim Clark
09-29-2005, 01:02 PM
And any time I have called for support (never any problems - just looking for advice) they have been outstanding. I have the ACT III and I am very impressed with its performance with regard to HT. Don't use it for music - that's another system in another room.

I'm doing my level best to have a decent HT and Music System. It's unfortunate that due to the house layout/family needs (oh, and moola) that I must have a combo system.

While the reviews have been positive of the Aragon, the lack of upgrade path is troublesome, as is the lack of balanced outputs. Therefore I've taken it off my list despite a great offer.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
jc

N. Abstentia
09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm still having trouble finding a better preamp than the Outlaw. I originally wanted the Anthem, but it has no DVI. Then I saw the Rotel..no balanced outputs. Then I saw an Adcom..had neither DVI nor balanced outputs, and only two component inputs on top of that.

Anything else I should be looking for? Anything with the features of the Outlaw for around the same price?

Jim Clark
09-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm still having trouble finding a better preamp than the Outlaw. I originally wanted the Anthem, but it has no DVI. Then I saw the Rotel..no balanced outputs. Then I saw an Adcom..had neither DVI nor balanced outputs, and only two component inputs on top of that.

Anything else I should be looking for? Anything with the features of the Outlaw for around the same price?

I don't think there is anything at that price. The comments about the video inputs are certainly true. I'm not going to worry about that as switching isn't really an issue that's going to be a make it or break it deal with me. I've never taken advantage of video switching and everybody in my family is quite used to changing the inputs on the TV.

Good luck in your search - I feel your pain.

jc