Unbelievable remakes... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable remakes...

Kam
09-28-2005, 09:14 AM
I wish this thread was a joke, but unfortunately, here are the most ridiculous (imo) remakes coming out next year.

1. The 39 Steps - one of my favorite hitchcock movies. and we all know how wonderfully the psycho remake turned out. there's a reason you dont remake hitchcock, its because he got it right the first time. (unless you're hitchcock and remake your own movie: The Man Who knew too much).
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - yes, the classic is being plundered.
3. The Evil Dead - with ashton kutcher, i mentioned this one before, and am still praying its a joke and a punkd deal, not a real one.
4. The Fly - yeap. another plundering.
5. Foxy Brown - yeap, that foxy brown. halle berry in talks to play the lead.
6. Oldboy - the movie i reviewed earlier. whether it be 1920 or 2004, hollywood knows a remake when they see it. i.e. anything.
7. Revenge of the Nerds - in the words of nancy kerrigan... why? why? why? whyyyy?? there's plenty of teen-sex comedies to be made, why remake this one?
8. Any horror movie made in japan over the last 3 years. ANY. they're all coming here.

Talked with several friends about remakes and found some of our favorite movies were remakes that we didnt even realize. why was this? because the original was flawed. the original was a great idea that just wasnt executed quite right. the remake... got it right. THAT'S how you do a remake. not take something that got it right the first time and try and capture lightening in a bottle twice.

peace
k2

Defshep
09-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Kam, apparently there are plenty of unnecessary sequels in the works as well. Including...
Single White Female 2
8mm 2
Butterfly Effect 2
8 Seconds 2 (would that be 16 Seconds?)
Anyone who buys these (sure to be direct to home video) should have their dvd players destroyed...

Lexmark3200
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
God this news is so pathetically sad....what is happening to Hollywood.....

When I saw them remaking John Carpenter's The Fog, I knew it was over......

Although I said the same thing when I saw Ryan Reynolds playing George Lutz with a six pack stomach, hacking his dog to death (which NEVER happened in real life) in the awful remake of The Amityville Horror......

So pathetic.....what is going on with cinema today???

Defshep
09-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, a majority of the population has been so "dumbed down', that this is what passes for entertainment these days. God, I sound like my father!

Worf101
09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
A little perspective here. In the 20's through the 60's Hollywood put out enough "B" and "Z" pictures to sink a fleet of battleships. There was always tons of remakes and dreck out there. The problem is we're not getting the "Casablanca"s and "Mr.s Miniver's" to go with the garbage, we're just getting garbage. Nope, Hollywood learned early on make even a stinky movie, as long as it's cheap, and you'll make some money. This money would in turn be plowed into some worthwhile films on some level, not so today. It's just junk and money, junk and money.

Da Worfster :(

topspeed
09-28-2005, 11:35 AM
8 Seconds 2 (would that be 16 Seconds?)
No, it would be 10 seconds. :D

This is a good example why the box office was down so much this year. While home theaters have taken a toll, the main perpetrator is lousy films. As for all the Jap horror films, am I the only one that thinks they suck? The Grudge wasn't even scary. The Ring was OK. There was another that I can't think of that was boring as hell.

If they want to do a remake/sequel, how about Titan A.E. 2? There's a movie I'd like to see.

Lexmark3200
09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, a majority of the population has been so "dumbed down', that this is what passes for entertainment these days. God, I sound like my father!

TOTALLY true Def.....the majority of individuals piling into theaters today are more interested in their cell phones lighting up the room than anything else, and unfortunately, we, the true cinema buffs who understand what the ORIGINAL versions of these films were about and what kind of impact they had on society at the time, are left hanging in the wind.

Lexmark3200
09-28-2005, 02:27 PM
No, it would be 10 seconds. :D

This is a good example why the box office was down so much this year. While home theaters have taken a toll, the main perpetrator is lousy films. As for all the Jap horror films, am I the only one that thinks they suck? The Grudge wasn't even scary. The Ring was OK. There was another that I can't think of that was boring as hell.

If they want to do a remake/sequel, how about Titan A.E. 2? There's a movie I'd like to see.

I absolutely agree that the Jap horror films sucked and were basically ALL the same, with different titles and creepy little girls being flashed before us.....it's a cheap thrill that people like Michael Bay exploited in remakes like The Amityville Horror; The Grudge and the Ring both sucked, and were both geared -- most obviously -- to this teenage MTV generation flooding the theaters today. Just brainless zombies not even there to watch cinema -- but to get away from their parents and talk on their cell phones in the middle of a film.....which I've encountered way too many times already. There should be a law against this......

paul_pci
09-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Saving Private Ryan's Prostrate.

squeegy200
09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
But this same remake phenomenon is also overcoming music. Many of these so called "Artists" are just remaking someone elses composition and sometimes adding a rap overlay.

I've had movie passes that I won at a company summer picnic. There hasn't been anything released of late that has motivated me to go out and use them.

Lexmark3200
09-29-2005, 09:31 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAA!

Now THAT was funny, Paul!!!!

AVMASTER
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
so r we doomed to watching poor remakes or can anyone name a single gem out there?????????????????

GMichael
09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
so r we doomed to watching poor remakes or can anyone name a single gem out there?????????????????

Doomed..... Unless Serenity turns out to be as good as the TV series. Ooops, that would make it a remake of sorts also huh? Back to doomed.

Lexmark3200
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM

I know I am in the minority here, but I feel that of all the recent ones, Zack Snyder's DAWN OF THE DEAD remake was the best; in fact, I enjoy it more than the original.

That has started massive flaming wars in here in defense of the original film, so I dont want to say anything further, but I believe it has been the most effective of these remakes so far. A "Gem"? I dont know.....but close in my opinion......

ericl
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
haha

Ashton Kutcher as ASH?!?! geez, as if we needed another reason to hate this guy.