Help with choosing a subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a subwoofer

jbravo103
09-28-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction for choosing a subwoofer for my home theater. My budget is around $500 and would like to get the best bang for the buck. I would consider myself an audio enthusiast as I have a good appreciation for quality sounding products. The home theater is set up in the downstairs family room, which measures appproximately 15'x25'.

I currently have Klipsch RB-25, RC-25, and RS-25 speakers for my front, center, and surround respectively. At first I wanted to buy a Klipsch sub just to have it match the rest of my speakers, but then realized I don't have to match timbre with a sub and perhaps there are better subs out there for less money. Nevertheless I've looked into the RW-10, RW-12, and KSW-12. Unfortunately there is no place around my area that has these subs so I can't listen to them. I've also considered the Infinity PS-12, Polk PSW12, and Boston PV700, but again, nobody in my area sells them so I have no idea what they sound like. I have to rely on reviews and second-hand testimony.

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

John

GMichael
09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction for choosing a subwoofer for my home theater. My budget is around $500 and would like to get the best bang for the buck. I would consider myself an audio enthusiast as I have a good appreciation for quality sounding products. The home theater is set up in the downstairs family room, which measures appproximately 15'x25'.

I currently have Klipsch RB-25, RC-25, and RS-25 speakers for my front, center, and surround respectively. At first I wanted to buy a Klipsch sub just to have it match the rest of my speakers, but then realized I don't have to match timbre with a sub and perhaps there are better subs out there for less money. Nevertheless I've looked into the RW-10, RW-12, and KSW-12. Unfortunately there is no place around my area that has these subs so I can't listen to them. I've also considered the Infinity PS-12, Polk PSW12, and Boston PV700, but again, nobody in my area sells them so I have no idea what they sound like. I have to rely on reviews and second-hand testimony.

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

John

My vote goes to this sub from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-762

GMichael
09-28-2005, 07:49 AM
This one is also worth a good look.

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/drake/index.html

msinderson
09-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Have you taken a look at SVS?

I have almost the same size room and after a lot of research I got the SVS PB10. It was $469 shipped. I have set it up and calibrated it and so far all I can say is WOW! It is much better than my old sub, is build very solid, and puts out good clean bass.

Take a look at their subs, I think you'll like what you see.

Worf101
09-29-2005, 04:55 AM
HSU makes a wide variety of quality subs with a great price range. I personally use the VTF 2 and VTF 3 and have installed 3 others in other systems I've built for folks. Great quality control too.

Da Worfster :cool:

jbravo103
09-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Thanks for suggestions. I noticed no one recommended polk, infinity, etc.. big name audio companies. I take it their products are overpriced and under quality?

One last question, should I get a 10" or 12"? On one hand my ht room is pretty large, but on the other my other speakers are relatively small.

Thanks,

John

GMichael
09-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks for suggestions. I noticed no one recommended polk, infinity, etc.. big name audio companies. I take it their products are overpriced and under quality?

One last question, should I get a 10" or 12"? On one hand my ht room is pretty large, but on the other my other speakers are relatively small.

Thanks,

John

I do have the Infinity PS12. It's a good sub. But being a "big name company" means that some of what I paid for was their advertisement. I'd rather put more of it into the actual sub itself.

vxaudio
09-29-2005, 05:59 AM
I just purchased a SVS pb-10 based on all the reviews here and on their site. I have a room that is 20x25 and they recommended the a double driver unit (the people their are completely honest and only want what best fits their customers). this unit was 899 so i opted to go with the pb-10 and use it in my smaller ht room. they said that this would be the best move if i didnt want to fork out the extra bucks right now. so, im doing this for now and if i like the sub, i will get the other later. honestly though, i need to only have 1 ht room. so hopefully this setup will impress me enough to keep 1 room.

jbravo103
09-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Well I think I've narrowed it down between the SVS PB-10 and the Klipsch Synergy SUB-12. I've heard really good comments about both of them.

DcnBlu
10-02-2005, 10:38 AM
If you haven't made a decision yet, check out Velodyne's CHT-10, or CHT-12 subwoofer. Either will fit your price range and both sound very nice. I choose the CHT-12 to compliment my Maggies. The best part of these subs is that they know when to shut-up. No babbling or murmuring (lack of driver control). I picked up the CHT-12 for $349.99.

Good luck to you.

Florian
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I would highly recomend adding 175$ and buying this one.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1132432711

PS: I have nothing to do with the seller, but Rel subwoofers are highly musical and have incredibly good options for integration.

natronforever
10-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I've noticed some mention of SVS - specifically the PB10-isd. I have owned the PB10-isd for several months now. Prior to making the purchase, I was concerned that the "entry level" SVS subwoofer would not be sufficient. Suffice it to say, my apprehensions were completely unnecessary. I broke down and bought the sub. The thing is much larger than the pictures would lead you to believe. I live in a bottom floor condominium and the residents on the third floor can hear my occasional rumblings when I don't keep the volume in check, and I don't even turn things up incredibly loud. I find myself turning it down much more than I turn it up. In regards to sound, I find it to be pleasingly sufficient on all accounts, easily besting (as I perceive) those sold in large retail stores such as Best Buy. I am confident you would be happy with it should you purchase it. As has been mentioned in other posts, I also recommend e-mailing SVS with your room dimensions and explain your situation to see what they think. They were amazingly prompt in responding to my occasional queries. The company has proven very easy to work with. In conclusion, I have found the PB10-isd to exceed my every expectation of it as I decided through exhausvie research that it would be the best option for my needs and budget.

jbravo103
10-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Well I'm glad I didn't buy a Klipsch. I spoke with a local a/v dealer this weekend and he basically said don't waste your money.

I did get to hear a pretty nice sounding sub this weekend called a Paradigm PS-1000. So now my decesion rests between the Paradigm and the SVS PB-10. I can get either one for about the same price.

I've heard really good things about the SVS, but has anyone experience with the PS-1000? The SVS has more power (300W vs. 200W), but the Paradigm had better input options and a built-in crossover.

Florian
10-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Before you buy check out a REL, like the one i showed you a bit upstairs in the thread.

-Flo

shokhead
10-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Well I'm glad I didn't buy a Klipsch. I spoke with a local a/v dealer this weekend and he basically said don't waste your money.

I did get to hear a pretty nice sounding sub this weekend called a Paradigm PS-1000. So now my decesion rests between the Paradigm and the SVS PB-10. I can get either one for about the same price.

I've heard really good things about the SVS, but has anyone experience with the PS-1000? The SVS has more power (300W vs. 200W), but the Paradigm had better input options and a built-in crossover.

Dont know what that guy is talking about because Klipsch makes pretty darn good subs. I'd go with SVS and will you not be going with the x over in your receiver? Also i would e-mail SVS with your room size, furniture,flooring and type of music/movies and A/V stuff and see what they say.

beta5alphamu
10-03-2005, 06:24 AM
look into the s-10 from Aperion Audio......it's right on your budget at 499.00 this thing is powerful.....brings 5.1 to life.....its the best bang for the buck and it is beautifully built...the guys at aperion know what they are doing