Valve amp kits [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Valve amp kits

Ssushi
09-28-2005, 06:53 AM
First post here so firstly hi to everyone!!!

I wondered if anyone had experience of building a valve amp from a kit? If so was it worth while? Was it difficult?

Ta

Ssushi

Ssushi
09-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Just an additional thing... I'll be driving Heybrook HB4 speakers (currently with a NAD 770 AV receiver), what so of power from aan amp would be advisable?

Thanks again

Ssushi

Geoffcin
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
First post here so firstly hi to everyone!!!

I wondered if anyone had experience of building a valve amp from a kit? If so was it worth while? Was it difficult?

Ta

Ssushi

Hi Sushi, I don't know of anyone on this forum that builds amps. You might want to try the Bottlehead forum on Audioasylum;

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/bbs.html

Good luck!

squeegy200
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm not familiar with Heybrrok speakers so I don't know if the kits would work well with them. Most 2A3 or 300B based tube amps are easily accomplished if you have the patience to read instructions and can put together a simple electronics kit. I've built two of the Bottlehead kits and I am pleased with their results. Bottlehead has a surprisingly deep knowleadgebase and a large community of active people who can assist you with your questions and problems. (Even at 2:00am in the morning!)

I've never built the Bottlehead amps because they do not produce the amperage necessary to drive my ineffecient speakers of choice. However, with a good efficient speaker set, they will produce some pleasing sound. (92+db efficiency)