Best Zappa ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Zappa ?

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Will repost response in 5 minutes.

MasterCylinder
09-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I just got back from a week in Chicago. While there (Magnificent Mile), I went in to the VIRGIN megastore............nice.

They had a terrific Zappa collection (including an original MoFi copy of WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY) and it got me to thinking ..................which CD is my favorite Zappa release ?

There are SO MANY !

I think my choice would be THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE.

So -- what about you ?
If you could choose JUST ONE Zappa CD, which ONE would you want to hold on to ???

Dusty Chalk
09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Probably my Rykodisc of Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation. Which, admittedly, is kind of cheating but do you know what? Cheating is for people who believe in rules in the first place.

daviethek
09-29-2005, 07:15 AM
As an old high school garage bander, "Joes Garage" blew me away.

Lifes-A-Blast
09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
My favorites still are the trilogy of Hot Rats, Waka Jawka, and Grand Wazoo,
Zappa doing the Jazz thing . What a musician, composer, arranger and just a screw wit yo head type . "I need your dirty love"

Troy
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I listened to both CDs of Joes Garage yesterday. MAN, some of that is just plain obnoxious. Love the music tho and it's a great big 'ol warm recording too. "Packard Goose" and "Watermelon in Easterhay" killed me. Played thise 2 about 5 times.

Si Ricardo, "Best Band you Never Heard" is my favorite of all the live stuff, tho, there are individual songs on the (10,000) other live releases that are better than some of BBYNHIYL.

Studio favorite is probably "One Size Fits All" or maybe "Sheik Yerbouti."