HK 3480 receiver + Magnepan MMGs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HK 3480 receiver + Magnepan MMGs?

Mike Anderson
09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi, I'm trying to put together an acceptable 2-channel stereo setup for <$1,000. I'm looking at the Harman/Kardon 3480 receiver and the Magnepan MMGs.

My questions:

1) Does the 3480 have sufficient juice to drive the MMGs?

2) Any other thoughts on this setup?

thanks,
Mike

dean_martin
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I haven't heard either component, but one of the regular column Stereophile writers put these two together and his comments were positive. From my memory of the article there didn't seem to be any problems with the H/K's ability to drive the MMGs.

twochannelsonly
09-27-2005, 06:44 PM
mmm, Im not sure if that's enough power or not?
I think that speaker is a little more efficient than my 1.5's it might work out, will watch and see what the PRO's say
I do know Ive tried at least 10 amps on my Maggies the 1.5's and they just open up and say "ahhhhh" with almost all amps over 250 watt and sound dull with all those less than that.

Feanor
09-28-2005, 06:24 AM
I haven't heard either component, but one of the regular column Stereophile writers put these two together and his comments were positive. From my memory of the article there didn't seem to be any problems with the H/K's ability to drive the MMGs.
The MMGs are not really all that fussy about what drives them. Just make sure your amp or receiver is rated for 4 ohms by the manufacturer; that is the case for HK.

Will the MMGs sound better with a powerful and/or more resolving amp? Yes, believe it! That's the beauty of the Magneplanars in general. My MMGs sounded 'way better with my current amp than with my preceeding NAD. But former cost me 5x what the NAD did, meanwhile the MMGs sounded very good with the NAD.

Speaking of Harmon-Kardon, I briefly ran my MMGs with a thirty year-old HK 330A receiver whose power was no more than 40 watts/ch. The combo was perfectly stable and sound quite agreeable.

Mike Anderson
09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm moving away from the HK now, and toward an integrated amp (or amp/preamp). But I don't know all that much about them -- so if somebody sees a particularly good deal on Audiogon or Ebay for <$500, do let me know. Something with a remote control would be nice.

Thanks,
Mike

daviethek
09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I ran maggies with a Denon dra 685 at 100wpc stereo. It sounded clean and the receiver easily drove the maggies at 4 ohm. I think you can get that particular receiver for around 400.00. A sub would round out the sound where the MMG's bottom end rolls off. dk