Furniture for Widescreen TV's? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Furniture for Widescreen TV's?

DrJeff
01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Looking for an armoire-type or entertainment center-type enclosure for a DLP, in the 40- to 55-inch range. I have a great mission style with doors from Bassett, that will completely hide my 36-inch 4:3 set, but one of the requirements for the wife if we get a new DLP is that I have to put it in a cabinet with doors so that we can hide it when appropriate (such as dinner party for clients, etc. where our family room needs to be more formal). Any ideas?

Woochifer
01-08-2004, 02:00 PM
I haven't seen anything that big as an entertainment center enclosure (most entertainment center units double as TV stands, and a 55" DLP console would not need a stand). You might want to check with a local HT installer and see what they typically recommend or if they can build something for you.

If you really need to hide the screen, why not go with a plasma or LCD screen, install it on the wall, and just use window coverings whenever you need to hide it. Or just build a picture frame around a flatscreen and play back scenery shots whenever you have a formal occasion. I've seen bars and nightclubs do this, where they dress up LCD screens to look like pictures hanging on the wall, and they can show artwork as a continual slideshow.

DrJeff
01-08-2004, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen anything that big as an entertainment center enclosure (most entertainment center units double as TV stands, and a 55" DLP console would not need a stand). You might want to check with a local HT installer and see what they typically recommend or if they can build something for you.

If you really need to hide the screen, why not go with a plasma or LCD screen, install it on the wall, and just use window coverings whenever you need to hide it. Or just build a picture frame around a flatscreen and play back scenery shots whenever you have a formal occasion. I've seen bars and nightclubs do this, where they dress up LCD screens to look like pictures hanging on the wall, and they can show artwork as a continual slideshow.

True, that is another option - I think mainly the cost of the flat panels and also to a lesser extent the things I've heard about the black levels, plasma burn-in, etc. are keeping me from going with a plasma. LCD looks better, but still pretty expensive...

I may have to build an enclosure around it or build a cubby into the wall...

_Luke1_
01-09-2004, 08:53 AM
like the ones that are three piece with the top portion sitting on the sides so it can be as wide or as narrow to fit the RPTV inside. I don't know where you're located but near me in PA there is a shop which deals primarily in largescreen TV's (it's where I got mine). They have many of them set-up in armoire's like the one I described and work with a company that specializes in this kind of furniture, including semi-custom work based on their standard designs. If you can find a place near you that has the same type of thing, you should be able to get just about anything you need.

I like the picture idea alot myself. You could also put in a DVD of the symphony or some jazz performance and play the music for background while showing the relatively tame view of the performers so it's not the focus of the room, but provides some atmosphere. I'd rather show it off than hide it.