Searching for the perfect speaker... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the perfect speaker...

LeoFenderBender
09-26-2005, 07:16 PM
...to match my system. I have been a long-time lurker and decided it was time to register so I could pose a question to the many experts on this forum. I am looking for the perfect speakers to match my system

I have $4000 to spend (maybe a bit more) and have been looking at Dynaudios and Martin Logans (though I like the highs, I don't really care much for the small sweet spot on the MLs). I am not opposed to buying used to stay within my budget.

I currently have the following audio equipment:

Krell KRC-3 Preamp
Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
Rotel RB-1090 Amplifier
HSU VTF-3 Mk2 Sub

I am running Carver AL-IIIs at present and have had them for quite a while - they are very satisfying speakers but they are power hungry. I need something a bit more efficient with sweeter mids.

I play Rock at 100db, Jazz & New age at 90db, and the occasional Classical CD at much lower volume. My room is 25x20 with a 12' center vault.

Thanks in advance! :D

icarian
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
The Dynaudios are great, but they do like the power, although youre Rotel should be just fine. 4000 can get you some great dyn's, but if you want more efficiency i would try Coincident, they have some amazing high efficiency speakers. But i still vote Dynaudio.
Good Luck

Florian
09-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Considering your coming from a ribbon/hybrid based system you will find it very hard to live with the coloration other drivers provide. I would recomend Apogee but they are out of budget, so i will gladly recomend the big Maggie 3.6 (quite efficent), the NewFormResearch 645RV2 or to stick with the Carver.

-Flo

topspeed
09-27-2005, 08:50 AM
If you like to rock, you should seriously consider the Von Schweikert VR4jr, a speaker with dynamics and extension to spare. You might also consider the Thiel 3.6, although they are a bit tougher to drive (your Rotel should be fine). I'm not sure the Maggies will have enough impact without the aid of a sub, but let your own ears decide.

Of course, at the volume you like to listen at, perhaps your $4k would be better spent on one of these. Lord knows, you're going to need it.

http://www.centraloregonaudiology.com/images/photos/pro_typ_4ears.jpg

LeoFenderBender
09-27-2005, 11:39 AM
If you like to rock, you should seriously consider the Von Schweikert VR4jr, a speaker with dynamics and extension to spare. You might also consider the Thiel 3.6, although they are a bit tougher to drive (your Rotel should be fine). I'm not sure the Maggies will have enough impact without the aid of a sub, but let your own ears decide.

Of course, at the volume you like to listen at, perhaps your $4k would be better spent on one of these. Lord knows, you're going to need it.

Thanks for the suggestions as well as the hint for the continued health of my ears. The fact is I play electric guitar along with my system and need at least 100db of volume to compete with my guitar amp. :)

Oh, and yes I do wear hearing protection in amn attempt to conserve my over 50 year old ears. ;)

Florian
09-27-2005, 11:52 AM
The Maggie 3.6 can do that. Your guitar will be free standing in your room with all the details and speed you love, but for bass below 28Hz you need a sub. But 3000 for a 3.6 and 1000 for a used REL will get you to heaven :p Conisdering your room is of good size.

-Flo

topspeed
09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions as well as the hint for the continued health of my ears. The fact is I play electric guitar along with my system and need at least 100db of volume to compete with my guitar amp. :)

Oh, and yes I do wear hearing protection in amn attempt to conserve my over 50 year old ears. ;)
In that case, crank it to to "11"!!!

Seriously tho, if you like to jam with music (I'm a drummer and do the same thing), but are still interested in accurate resolution, you should try to audition the VSA's. Albert is a fair guitar player and together with his wingman Kevin, both actually jam in their main listening room and compare the playback through the speakers to fine tune the voicing of them. No joke.

Good luck in your search.

46minaudio
09-27-2005, 01:37 PM

http://www.centraloregonaudiology.com/images/photos/pro_typ_4ears.jpg
Another vote to give the VRjrs a listen.

drseid
09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Another vote for the VR4Jrs... Another possibility could be the Dali Helicon800s if you can find a pair used for 4K or below, or maybe a used pair of Legacy Audio Focus.

---Dave

Jim Clark
09-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Another vote for the VR4Jrs... Another possibility could be the Dali Helicon800s if you can find a pair used for 4K or below, or maybe a used pair of Legacy Audio Focus.

---Dave

The cheapest I've seen for Legacy Audio Focus 20 20 is 3,800 and that was only one pair priced way below the used market. Plus those suckers are freaking huge, only monsterous rooms need apply.

To the original post, if you're willing to buy used I think you'll be needing to read lots of reviews as well as be willing to resell something you don't like back on Audiogon. Trial and error can be an enormous hassle but there are some awfully compelling prices on the used market. Oddly enough most of the recomendations you are getting are the same brands that I narrowed it down to very recently. Used VS, Dynaudio, and MMG. These guys are on to something I think.

Good luck to you.

jc

drseid
09-28-2005, 02:18 AM
The cheapest I've seen for Legacy Audio Focus 20 20 is 3,800 and that was only one pair priced way below the used market. Plus those suckers are freaking huge, only monsterous rooms need apply.

To the original post, if you're willing to buy used I think you'll be needing to read lots of reviews as well as be willing to resell something you don't like back on Audiogon. Trial and error can be an enormous hassle but there are some awfully compelling prices on the used market. Oddly enough most of the recomendations you are getting are the same brands that I narrowed it down to very recently. Used VS, Dynaudio, and MMG. These guys are on to something I think.

Good luck to you.

jc
Keep in mind I did not say used Focus 20/20 (although they would fit the bill just fine too as he has 4K+ to spend)... A used pair of the regular Focus can be had for $2500-$2800. As for room size, his large room with a super high ceiling would work just fine with them.

---Dave

Jim Clark
09-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Keep in mind I did not say used Focus 20/20 (although they would fit the bill just fine too as he has 4K+ to spend)... A used pair of the regular Focus can be had for $2500-$2800. As for room size, his large room with a super high ceiling would work just fine with them.

---Dave

Sorry, I"m not a Legacy Audio Expert. I did drive all the way up to Springfield, IL once to tour the factory only to discover that they had relocated to the East Coast. Nice. They maintain a small dealership there in a place that mainly seems to exist to sell cell phones but at least I had a chance to audition some of the speakers but by then the Focus had been discontinued.

jc

drseid
09-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Sorry, I"m not a Legacy Audio Expert. I did drive all the way up to Springfield, IL once to tour the factory only to discover that they had relocated to the East Coast. Nice. They maintain a small dealership there in a place that mainly seems to exist to sell cell phones but at least I had a chance to audition some of the speakers but by then the Focus had been discontinued.

jc
No problem, while I am a former Legacy owner and I have heard all of their current line except for the Helix, I don't claim to be any Legacy expert either. My general point was that the 20/20 are the latest iteration of the Focus, but that the earlier model can be had at a much greater used discount to its prior list price (and the sound differences between the two are not really that substantial, IMO). I think part of the reasin for creating the 20/20 was for Legacy to be able to raise the price, as the original Focus started when they were selling direct at much lower prices (as was the way I bought my Legacy speakers years ago).

---Dave

texlle
09-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I vote Dynaudio or anything by Thiel. For $4k you can get a nice pair of Thiels.