I Want To Know About Audio Research [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Know About Audio Research

rbwinterlink
09-26-2005, 12:44 PM
undefinedundefined

I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience with the Audio Research D100a power amp and the SP-4 pre-amplifier. I am interested in hearing how the sound was, midrange, highs and low end response as well as 3 demensionallity of the sound field. I would also like to hear about whether the power amp was able to drive low efficiency speakers. Thanks for all responses. :)

topspeed
09-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm unclear how any of our opinions matter, to be quite honest. Describing the sound and soundstage is well nigh impossible because unless you are planning on running the exact same gear in the exact same room, it will differ mightily in your own environment. I guess the real question is what are you trying to achieve? What are your speakers? What's your room like? What do you listen to? Why do you like ARC? What don't your like about ARC? Have you ever heard them personally and on what rig? I'm not trying to me difficult, just trying to focus your somewhat nebulous question.

FWIW, I'm a fan of the ARC sound. My personal reference system is an ARC/WP7/Wadia rig that simply knocked my socks off so yeah, I'm a fan.

rbwinterlink
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm unclear how any of our opinions matter, to be quite honest. Describing the sound and soundstage is well nigh impossible because unless you are planning on running the exact same gear in the exact same room, it will differ mightily in your own environment. I guess the real question is what are you trying to achieve? What are your speakers? What's your room like? What do you listen to? Why do you like ARC? What don't your like about ARC? Have you ever heard them personally and on what rig? I'm not trying to me difficult, just trying to focus your somewhat nebulous question.

FWIW, I'm a fan of the ARC sound. My personal reference system is an ARC/WP7/Wadia rig that simply knocked my socks off so yeah, I'm a fan.

I really appreciate the time you took to answer my request. I have not heard any of the ARC products, but have read much about them. I have always had a longing for an ARC amp/pre-amp but was not able to afford them. Recently, I am able to purchase ARC used and jumped at the chance. Again, thank you much.

Mr Peabody
09-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I've heard some ARC but not those particular models. I've heard mostly their tube gear and it sounded great with Martin Logan speakers. The dealer also sells B&W. I found ARC with B&W not so pleasant to me. Isn't the D100 their digital power amp that retails around $2,500.00? If so, I haven't heard it but a friend is using one until he can afford some Edge gear and he thinks it's a great amp. I have all the confidence both pieces are good sounding but much of your result will also depend on speakers and source, as well as the stuff TS mentioned. So much of good highs or bass is subjective to each listener it's difficult to convey. I'd say the ARC tends to be a warmer and polite presentation. I also find that brands like ARC and Conrad Johnson, when they do solid state they don't stray far from their "house" or signature sound. If I were you and the price was right, I'd jump on it.

hifitommy
10-08-2005, 04:34 PM
a sp3a1 preamp came to me for cheeeep. i was confounded by the sound that i expected to be classic tube sound, round, fat, warm, rolled off top. the usual description you hear of tubed equipment. WRONG!

extremely wide frequency extremes, extremely wide dynamics, and tonal colors of the most natural and vivid you can imagine. imaging and soundstaging attributed to tube sound was there in spades.

if you have an opportunity to snag some arc electronics, go for it.

Florian
10-09-2005, 03:34 AM
My friend runs his Maggie 20R's with a Audio Research SP10 and Audio Research D300 Reference Monoblocks on the mid/hi section and Krell KSA250's on the bass.

Great stuff, but not very reliable. Just like Jadis, can work for a long time or not....

But go for, ARC rocks!

JoeE SP9
10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Purchasing my ARC SP9 ended my searching for a preamp. That was 6 years ago.

hifitommy
10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Purchasing my ARC SP9 ended my searching for a preamp. That was 6 years ago.
i'll bet the sp9 flies in the face of typical tube description like my sp3c.

JoeE SP9
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
No tube sound, no transistor sound. Just very good sound!!! I bought an SP3 in 1983. Selling it was one of the dumber things I've done.

Florian
10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
If you like the SP9 then give the Silvewalds and Transcendent Sound a try. Also the SP10 :-)

JoeE SP9
10-10-2005, 03:41 PM
If I could find an SP10 at a reasonable (to me) price I would buy it in seconds.

Florian
10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
My friend has two....i have been trying to get for a loooong time. :cool:

hifitommy
10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
a classic 60 amp! gorgeous!

JoeE SP9
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Any ARC tube power amp. Any ARC tube preamp.http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif