Video-up conversion on Denon AVR3805??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video-up conversion on Denon AVR3805???

Mooch28
09-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey guys,

I should shortly be recieving this reciever as i purchased it online last week. I have a question about the 100mhz video up-conversion on this unit. Does it acually boost the signal, to give you a clearer image? My dvd has a 25 foot run with the component cables, so what im wondering is, will the reciever boost the signal to keep it clean on such a long run.

Also, has anyone seen any improvement when running S-video signals into the reciever being converted to Component when being fed out to the tv? In other words, does the S-video to component make any difference with the 100mhz internal up-conversion?

Thanks!!

L.J.
09-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey guys,

I should shortly be recieving this reciever as i purchased it online last week. I have a question about the 100mhz video up-conversion on this unit. Does it acually boost the signal, to give you a clearer image? My dvd has a 25 foot run with the component cables, so what im wondering is, will the reciever boost the signal to keep it clean on such a long run.

Also, has anyone seen any improvement when running S-video signals into the reciever being converted to Component when being fed out to the tv? In other words, does the S-video to component make any difference with the 100mhz internal up-conversion?

Thanks!!

I personally perfer to hook my video directly to my TV. I have used the upconversion and switching features on my Denon and the signal was fine. The picture was clear and I could not complain. The s-video to component feature I used with my PS2 and the picture was excellent. I cannot comment on the 25 ft cable, but personally I would perfer to run it directly to my TV.

edtyct
09-26-2005, 07:56 AM
I agree with L.J. that it's best to go directly into the TV if you can, though it's hardly a game breaker if you can't. The 100mhz spec refers to the bandwidth for analog component; it indicates sufficient room to accommodate HD sources, not an amplified signal. However, a 25 ft. run of component cable, assuming that it's engineered well enough (and most cable from reputable mfgrs is), shouldn't present any significant signal loss.

The upconversion process is basically a convenience; it can't squeeze video blood from a stone. It shouldn't harm the original signal, but it also can't transform an inherent limitation into something substantially better. For instance, S-video is an anlog format; a receiver cannot transform it to a higher resolution digital format via a component connection intended mainly to pass a higher, digital bandwidth. But it's certainly better for a receiver to upconvert its lesser signals to component output at a maximum capability than to downconvert its better ones to composite output at a minimum capacity. If you've used up your direct component inputs on the Denon receiver, use a component input on the TV--or better yet, the DVI or HDMI output from the DVD player to the digital input on the JVC, if it has one. Don't resort to S-video for anything nowadays unless you have absolutely no choice.

Looking at another post, I just realized that the Denon 2901 DVD player and JVC TV belong to LJ, not Mooch. Sorry bout that, Mooch.

Ed

topspeed
09-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Video Upconversion is really a misnomer as there is no "up" conversion being handled. All if does is allow you to feed multiple sources via multiple connection types (s-vid, component, etc.) to the receiver while only using one type (usually component) to the monitor. It does not improve the resolution of say s-vid to component levels. You simply receive s-vid quality through a component cable. The advantage comes from the ease of installation and less cables to deal with. As always, the playback will only be as good as the source. IOW, use component or better when you can.

Hope this helps.

Mooch28
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Ya, the "up" in video up-conversion is what kinda threw me off. Thanks for explaining though guys.

:)