Subwoofer to match Bose 601 vcs10 161 please share knowledge [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer to match Bose 601 vcs10 161 please share knowledge

vxaudio
09-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Currently I am looking to add a sub to my pieced 6.1 Bose system containing the following:

Front: 601 IV
Center (front and Back) vcs10
surround l and r: 161

I need something powerful enough to go beyond the 601's which have alot of bass already.
Ive looked at mirage, infinty, ect. Im looking in the under 600 range if possible. Please help if you know what can match up the sound.
I really love the system that ive pieced together, but im in a larger house and want to take advantage of not having neighbors 10 feet away. I have an onkyo 6.1 receiver and im thinking of getting a harmon kardon 7.1 and changing out the vcs10 back center for 2 back surroiunds. any recommendations here? should i stick with 6.1 or go to 7.1?

topspeed
09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
SVS and HSU Research are the subs usually recommended for this price range. If you can handle a screw driver and soldering iron, you might also consider a Dayton DIY project from partsexpress. Velodyne and Paradigm are also highly regarded, although I don't know if they make anything in your price range. Chances are, any of these subs will be tighter than your Bose, but screw around with the placement enough and you should be able to get a decent match.

As for going from 6.1 to 7.1, unless you have an inordinately large room, I fail to see the advantage. Bare in mind, the amount of software coded 7.1 native can be counted on one hand.

Hope this helps.

vxaudio
09-28-2005, 10:26 AM
i have had a chance to hear the infinity alpha 1200s 500wat rms 12 inch (there is also an updated model but i cant remember the name) I really like it and can get one online for about 400. after going to the svs site i am interested in their subs also. there entry level 10 inch is also 400, but have no clue to the performance. I know that this is not much money for a sub, but i have been pretty impressed with the infinity which started out around 700, a few sites have new not refurbished for 400. so if i stick with this price of 400, any other comparables?

noddin0ff
09-28-2005, 10:34 AM
For DIY consider
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760&ctab=11#Tabs

review here
http://www.onhifi.com/product/dayton_titanicsub.htm