Gov't Mule [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Mule

-Jar-
01-08-2004, 12:40 PM
I saw them on Conan last night.. I know it was a re-run.. but they rocked! Wow. I know a lot of you cats talk about them a lot. They seem like a band I need to add to my collection. I really liked the song they played.. I think it was called "Bad Little Doggie" - so I guess LIFE BEFORE INSANITY would be a good place to start?

-jar

Dave_G
01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Hard to say where to start with the Mule.

Darren knows more about them that I do.

I have all their cd's.

I have a Mule comp that Wladimir made me (I actually owe a copy already to a few R.R.'ers) that I could offer you.

Dave

DarrenH
01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
I saw them on Conan last night.. I know it was a re-run.. but they rocked! Wow. I know a lot of you cats talk about them a lot. They seem like a band I need to add to my collection. I really liked the song they played.. I think it was called "Bad Little Doggie" - so I guess LIFE BEFORE INSANITY would be a good place to start?

-jar

Yeah, Life Before Insanity is a great place to start. DOSE is excellent as well and perhaps my favorite Mule release. "Blind Man In The Dark" and "Thorazine Shuffle" are just so cool.

The Deep End projects are really, really great as well but start with the studio releases with Alan Woody first and work your way up to them. The Deep End stuff is more of a tribute to Alan featuring a multitude of bass players and guest musicians. Ultimately though, you will need to get The Deepest End live CD's and DVD package. It's the culmination of the Deep End projects and finally gives closure to Alan's death. Great, great music.

The Mule rawks.

Darren

-Jar-
01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Hard to say where to start with the Mule.

Darren knows more about them that I do.

I have all their cd's.

I have a Mule comp that Wladimir made me (I actually owe a copy already to a few R.R.'ers) that I could offer you.

Dave

That would be greatly appreciated if you found the time. I think I owe several hundred comps right now.. or something..

-jar

Mike
01-09-2004, 02:54 AM
Skewiff very generously sent me some of their stuff a studio album and 3 discs from the live box set. They seem to be a band I missed out on too. The live stuff is great, and the sound is probably the best live material I've ever heard, there's a brilliant 13 minute version of Cortez The Killer.

By the way talking of being generous I just received your RHP comp and year end comp both are great but the RHP has got me hooked. I'm planning to put something in the mail for you this weekend.

Cheers
Mike

Dave_G
01-09-2004, 07:44 AM
In general, I think that if you like the Allman Brothers then you will enjoy Gov't + Mule.

Finchie, 1 Mule for one RHCP.

Dave

Finch Platte
01-09-2004, 07:45 AM
I have heard nada from Gubbmint Mule, but if Jar likes 'em, chances are I might find them entertaining asswell.

Could someone pleeeeeeease include me in their mailing? (DaveG???)

Thanks,

fp

jack70
01-09-2004, 09:05 AM

-jar
I also like the band, and set the VCR. I was disappointed BIG TIME. Why? Cause they lip-synched it! Come-on guys! Here's a band who makes it's reputation on live energy, and they can't do a short live cut? What you afraid of, ya Pus_ys? ... getting some sweat on your shirt?

I have a couple videos full of 3-minute clips of various musical acts over the past decade or 2 on the 5 late night shows (saved only the good ones). Almost all of em performed LIVE. There's no excuse IMO for not taking the time to set up & test your equip. They have a fairly basic set up (no complex synth's or special effects boxes for the guitar). Maybe they had a good reasons or sumpin, but it sucked IMO. BTW, this ain't a slam on their music... they're one of the few bands doing that old classic style of hard rock today.

-Jar-
01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I also like the band, and set the VCR. I was disappointed BIG TIME. Why? Cause they lip-synched it! Come-on guys! Here's a band who makes it's reputation on live energy, and they can't do a short live cut? What you afraid of, ya Pus_ys? ... getting some sweat on your shirt?

I have a couple videos full of 3-minute clips of various musical acts over the past decade or 2 on the 5 late night shows (saved only the good ones). Almost all of em performed LIVE. There's no excuse IMO for not taking the time to set up & test your equip. They have a fairly basic set up (no complex synth's or special effects boxes for the guitar). Maybe they had a good reasons or sumpin, but it sucked IMO. BTW, this ain't a slam on their music... they're one of the few bands doing that old classic style of hard rock today.

wow they fooled me.. admittedly, I was half asleep and well, I don't know what their albums sound like.. but still.. I'm usually really good at picking up on stuff like that.

I love the one where Iron Maiden is peforming on some show in Europe somewhere and they start trading instruments during the song.. hilarious.

-jar

jack70
01-09-2004, 09:57 AM
wow they fooled me.. admittedly, I was half asleep and well, I don't know what their albums sound like.. but still.. I'm usually really good at picking up on stuff like that.

I love the one where Iron Maiden is peforming on some show in Europe somewhere and they start trading instruments during the song.. hilarious.

-jar

They fooled me too, for a while, then I noticed some tiny differences in the audio vs visual. I"m thinking "maybe the audio is out of sync a few miliseconds or something", but it became clearer when they got in tight. Most bands make the directors keep the focus way out, and move the images around so it's harder to notice.

You also sometimes get a non-CD mixed track... sometimes they'll record something earlier in the day, or even in the studio to use for such TV appearances. And sometimes they'll record a few tracks but play/mix some of it live at the same time. Tricky bast_rds!

Hadn't heard that Maiden story... LOL.

jasn
01-09-2004, 01:23 PM
I read this earlier today and it's been bugging me so...

Look, I didn't see it myself, so I can't be too strong about this, but Warren Haynes is the LAST guy I see out there pulling a "Britney".

Dusty Chalk
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
They're alright. I think Dave G. was close, but I would more likely liken them to a "poor man's Allman Bros.".

And I didn't like their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" very much. I think they do better with their original material.

DarrenH
01-09-2004, 09:46 PM
They're alright. I think Dave G. was close, but I would more likely liken them to a "poor man's Allman Bros.".

And I didn't like their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" very much. I think they do better with their original material.

Poor man's Allman Bros? Hardly. On what basis do you make that assumption? Please let me know.

Too bad on that War Pigs cover. Man, I thought that was excellent. Dude, I've got a ton of stuff from the Mule you might think a poor man's ABB.

The Mule Rawks.

Darren