5.1 Sound & HD Broadcasts ON TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Sound & HD Broadcasts ON TV

EdwardGein
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
How come alot of shows aren't broadcast in HD & 5.1 sound by the Networks on Prime Time, especially reality shows like the Apprentice?

What TV Shows are in 5.1 sound? I know CSI is. Anything else?

N. Abstentia
09-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Probably a cost factor. Would reality shows benefit from 5.1 sound in any way?

Besides, since you listen to your 2 channel music in '5 channel stereo', why not use it for non-5.1 TV shows?

recoveryone
09-23-2005, 07:57 PM
How come alot of shows aren't broadcast in HD & 5.1 sound by the Networks on Prime Time, especially reality shows like the Apprentice?

What TV Shows are in 5.1 sound? I know CSI is. Anything else?
I told you Ed in another post that NBC is the worst for primetime programing. They have the fewest shows in HD and most are not 5.1. Most all ABC primetime shows are in HD and 5.1 ( on adlephia cable in my area San Bernardino) the 5.1 is on 100% for all shows on the HD channel no matter if its HD or not. Fox plays most of their primetime shows in HD and 5.1. CBS was very good about a year ago but they are starting to cut back.

EdwardGein
09-23-2005, 11:58 PM
I told you Ed in another post that NBC is the worst for primetime programing. They have the fewest shows in HD and most are not 5.1. Most all ABC primetime shows are in HD and 5.1 ( on adlephia cable in my area San Bernardino) the 5.1 is on 100% for all shows on the HD channel no matter if its HD or not. Fox plays most of their primetime shows in HD and 5.1. CBS was very good about a year ago but they are starting to cut back.

Thanks for info

paul_pci
09-24-2005, 02:00 PM
You're best bet for 5.1 sound on cable is going to be with new movies on HBO, Starz, and Showtime. For instance, tonight, I-Robot and The Incredibles premiere and they'll be in 5.1 sound.

JeffKnob
09-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Maybe your optical cable is messing up the sound for you. :)

EdwardGein
09-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Maybe your optical cable is messing up the sound for you. :)

Speaking about optic cables, you'll get the best TV sound, 5.1, by using a glass fiber optics cable which you can get on Ebay for $20-$30 rather then a regular one. I wouldn't use the glass optics cable on DVD/CD's though as its sound is too in your face but its great for TV audio, particularly 5.1 sound. Why technically this is, I can't explain but it is.

thekid
09-25-2005, 03:52 AM
You would think if cost were an issue that Best Buy or somone in the audio/video retail industry would almost pay for the networks to run most of their programming or at least the most popular programs in HD and 5.1. They could probably push a lot of product out the door that way. I know that watching/listening to a football game in HD/5.1 is a totally awesome experience compared to the traditional broadcast.

shokhead
09-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Nascar in HD and 5.1. Watching Rusty win it all in HD would be the bomb. Hey NA,i use 5ch stereo for the races,its not bad. Couldnt you google HD shows in LA and somebody would have a listing of all HD shows ?

recoveryone
09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Nascar in HD and 5.1. Watching Rusty win it all in HD would be the bomb. Hey NA,i use 5ch stereo for the races,its not bad. Couldnt you google HD shows in LA and somebody would have a listing of all HD shows ?
I guess you miss the Nextel cup race in Fontana Ca. it was broadcast in HD and 5.1 I was surprised that NBC did show that in HD. It was a real nice pic with the race starting at dusk and the lights taking over as the sun went down.

EdwardGein
09-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Just saw a soso show called The Ghost Whisperer which has incredible 5.1 sound. I turned on the USC game here and couldn't believe it wasn't in HD.

paul_pci
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Just saw a soso show called The Ghost Whisperer which has incredible 5.1 sound. I turned on the USC game here and couldn't believe it wasn't in HD.

But the Oregon Ducks got a high definition ass-kicking!

traut
09-26-2005, 07:54 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a college football game on ABC in HiDef. I was totally expecting the Texas / Ohio State game (prime time, national broadcast, rare match up) to be broadcasted in HD, but it was not. They're great with Monday night FB, and prime time shows, but they just don't do CFB. I guess that individual games don't get the ratings to justify the cost.