And on a related topic ... can we listen it to greatness? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And on a related topic ... can we listen it to greatness?

Davey
09-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Do you think if we listen to something enough with a semi-open mind that it can move into the favorites category? Can we listen it to greatness? I sometimes wonder about this since, like with that National album and many others, I tend to miss the charms of many albums at first, but when I start really listening, sometimes spinning nothing else for days, I often come around to appreciate them at a level I would've never guessed. We've all probably wondered at one time or another how many albums we have stuck on the shelf that are only one or two listens away from moving into that rare "regular rotation" category generally reserved for our favorites. You know, if you were stuck on a desert island with only some of those barely played CDs that you have dismissed in the past, what would happen? Can we elevate even bad albums just by familiarity? I know, according to some of you maybe I do do this with even bad albums :)

-Jar-
09-23-2005, 08:31 AM
The cool thing is when you run into someone else who has "elevated" a similar album into greatness.

Take DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD by Hum. To the average everyday joe, a Smashing Pumpkins ripoff that sold diddly and went right to the cut out bin like hundreds of other bands did in the post-Nirvana 90's..

But there was something there that kept people coming back. Now there are legions of fans out there hoping that maybe one day Hum will get back together and do an album as fantastic as that one. I do think this is an album that many people have "listened into greatness" - it's not immediate, but it grows on you, and after 20 or so listens to start to realize what an amazing work it is.

Yet, as far as most people know, just another alternative rock act that tried to go major but ended up going bust instead... Yea, they had a "hit" but so did a lot of other bands you've never heard of. And yes, just about every one of those bands also have a small cult following (you know the guy.. "Dude! you have to listen to the whole album.. it's really killer!).

But I do also agree that sometimes familiarity can bring an album to greatness, even if it's just in our own minds..

Davey
09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
The cool thing is when you run into someone else who has "elevated" a similar album into greatness.

Take DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD by Hum. To the average everyday joe, a Smashing Pumpkins ripoff that sold diddly and went right to the cut out bin like hundreds of other bands did in the post-Nirvana 90's..

But there was something there that kept people coming back.
Yeah, that's one that took me awhile to realize how good it was, and it probably wasn't until I ran into some people like you. I think that is one that I picked up cheap used not too long after release, probably saw a good review someplace, and only listened once or twice. Didn't get it, but it did have a surprisingly nice sound quality for a somewhat heavy rock album so kept it around. And then much later realized how big was that legion of fans you mention, so pulled it out and proceeded to elevate it to a much higher level just by getting to know it with a binge session of listens. I think I might've done the same with Wedding Present, although I didn't get a copy of that one until long after the fact. I know I did it with The Lonesome Crowded West from Modest Mouse, although it always had a certain quirkiness that I appreciated even from the first distracted listen. Another prize snatched from the used bins not too long after release. Sometimes I have a hard time getting to that level of appreciation with older albums. Things like Camper Van Beethoven and Stone Roses and other highly regarded bands that I didn't know much about at the time they were getting attention. Much easier when you live through it the first time. But sometimes ...

-Jar-
09-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Much easier when you live through it the first time. But sometimes ...

very true, which is why it's hard for me to "catch up" with bands like Gang of Four and Television..

and why modern rock "just isn't the same" as the classics..

-jar

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=Davey]Do you think if we listen to something enough with a semi-open mind that it can move into the favorites category? Can we listen it to greatness? ....Can we elevate even bad albums just by familiarity? [QUOTE]

Isn't this exactly the premise that commercial radio and MTV rely on for survival?

Davey
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Do you think if we listen to something enough with a semi-open mind that it can move into the favorites category? Can we listen it to greatness? ....Can we elevate even bad albums just by familiarity?

Isn't this exactly the premise that commercial radio and MTV rely on for survival?
Well, it's similar, but I wouldn't call it exactly the same. Songs that make it with the masses tend to be liked from the start and get stuck in your head like a commercial jingle. They don't usually put something in heavy rotation that is a difficult first listen. I've never had very good luck when I buy an album based on the radio or listening station previews, I guess because that surface gloss doesn't do much for me after a few initial listens. But yeah, in a way radio and MTV are kind of the same premise in reverse, start off liking it and after hearing it way too many times you wind up hating it, which is what led me to ask about whether with enough listens we might even like bad music, although music can't really be objectified in that way (regardless of what MindGoneHaywire might have you believe ;)) so it's kind of a silly question, in retrospect. But ya know, it is Friday ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

Dusty Chalk
09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Well, it's similar, but I wouldn't call it exactly the same. Songs that make it with the masses tend to be liked from the start and get stuck in your head like a commercial jingle...You obviously haven't listened to top 40 radio or watched eMpTyV (with the sound up) much lately -- there's some real crap on there, nary a hummable tune to be found.