Rita is on its way .God Bless You [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rita is on its way .God Bless You

PAT.P
09-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Rita is on its way and people are trying to get out .Im Canadian and gas station were busy the price went up at some station by 60%.I was listening to CNN News and a bus near Dallas caught fire with elderly people ,they said the brakes caught fire and the oxygen tanks of the elder exploded. My prayers go to you.

GMichael
09-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Rita is on its way and people are trying to get out .Im Canadian and gas station were busy the price went up at some station by 60%.I was listening to CNN News and a bus near Dallas caught fire with elderly people ,they said the brakes caught fire and the oxygen tanks of the elder exploded. My prayers go to you.

Ditto,

God bless, and good luck.

piece-it pete
09-23-2005, 06:05 AM

Amen brother.

Pete

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm18/projectedpath_large.html?from=wxcenter_maps

JSE
09-25-2005, 06:50 AM
I'm on the west side of Houston and we were just barely missed. Just some pretty heavy wind, no rain and kept power the whole time. Wife and I and some friends stuck it out. There is still NO gas in Houston and surrounding areas. I was lucky enough to fill up both vehicles on Wednesday so I can make it late into late this week. It's crazy, when a station does get gas, people swarm and the lines stretche for hundreds of yards. Police officers seem to be following the gas trucks and provide security at the gas stations that get gas. We decided to stay due to the mass exodus and heavy traffic. They had inbound and outbound lanes heading out of town on the freeways and traffic was still at a dead stop for hours and hours. My wife's boss travelled 30 miles in 9 hours on Thursday heading NW out of town.

Anyway, looks like Beaumont/Port Arthur, Orange and west Louisiana got the brunt of the storm.

JSE

cam
09-25-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm on the west side of Houston and we were just barely missed. Just some pretty heavy wind, no rain and kept power the whole time. Wife and I and some friends stuck it out. There is still NO gas in Houston and surrounding areas. I was lucky enough to fill up both vehicles on Wednesday so I can make it late into late this week. It's crazy, when a station does get gas, people swarm and the lines stretche for hundreds of yards. Police officers seem to be following the gas trucks and provide security at the gas stations that get gas. We decided to stay due to the mass exodus and heavy traffic. They had inbound and outbound lanes heading out of town on the freeways and traffic was still at a dead stop for hours and hours. My wife's boss travelled 30 miles in 9 hours on Thursday heading NW out of town.

Anyway, looks like Beaumont/Port Arthur, Orange and west Louisiana got the brunt of the storm.

JSE
Hey JSE, are you still driving that huge Chevy Tahoa. Even with no gas shortage and no big line ups, I hate getting behind in line of one of those. The pump takes awhile to pump 110 liters.

JSE
09-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey JSE, are you still driving that huge Chevy Tahoa. Even with no gas shortage and no big line ups, I hate getting behind in line of one of those. The pump takes awhile to pump 110 liters.

Worse, wife's got the Tahoe now and I have a Dodge Ram, with the HEMI! Buying gas sucks! $74 last time.

piece-it pete
09-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Glad you and yours are ok, bud!

Pete

topspeed
09-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey JSE,

Glad to hear you folks made it through unscathed. When they reported it was heading towards Houston, I was wondering if you were going to brave the traffic or brave the storm. I'm relieved to hear you and yours made it through OK.

JSE
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey JSE,

Glad to hear you folks made it through unscathed. When they reported it was heading towards Houston, I was wondering if you were going to brave the traffic or brave the storm. I'm relieved to hear you and yours made it through OK.

Glad you and yours are ok, bud!.

Thanks guys!

No way in hell I was going to get out in that traffic. My wife's secretary went from Fresno (45 min. south of Houston) to Tyler (1hr east of Dallas) and it took her 23 hours. It's normally about a 4 1/2 hour trip. They ran out of gas in traffic and a family stopped and gave them some. As I mentioned earlier, my wife's boss went from Houston to Austin (about 3 hrs tops) and it took him 16 hrs. 12 of those hours were just getting out of the greater Houston area. As of today about 20% of the gas stations have gas and the resulting long lines of vehicles. Grocery stores are open but they are pretty bare. No produce, milk, chips, water, soft drinks, etc. Plenty of frozen foods though. :D

Most of our friends are crazy like us and stuck it out. We got off easy but it clearly could have been a lot worse. I actually cooked some really good Ribs Friday night before the storm really hit. The grill almost blew over but my buddy was lightning fast and grapped it in a full dive and never spilled a drop of beer. It was right out of a beer commercial. :p

JSE

GMichael
09-26-2005, 01:22 PM
The grill almost blew over but my buddy was lightning fast and grapped it in a full dive and never spilled a drop of beer. It was right out of a beer commercial. :p

JSE

I can picture this clear as day. Funny stit.

Glad you and yours are OK.