MC recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MC recommendation

Bernd
09-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Hello fellow Vinyl friends (sounds like a double meaning)
I am in the process of evaluating a new Moving Coil Purchase. I am running an SME 20/2A with Series V arm into an ART Audio Vinyl One Phono Amp.
The cartridges I am familiar with and have used are the Shelter 901(like it very much),Dynavector XX-2 (likewise) Ortofon Jubilee (left me cold).
I would like to hear about some experiences with other makes in a similar pricerange or a little above.
Thanks in advance

Peace

Bernd

squeegy200
09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't have much experience with low output moving coil cartridges. However, I do know there are few MC cartridges in the same performance pricepoint as the Shelter 901. I understand The Benz Micro has a similar cartridge that is often compared to the 901.

On the other hand, the Denon 103 is mere pocket change compared to the Shelter 901 (or 501) but still gets dazzling reviews.

Bernd
09-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks for your input.I might check out some of the Lyra's or the Sumiko celebration. Have absolutly no knowledge of Denon Cartridges.
Got plenty of time. I find this searching very exciting. Who knows what gem one comes across.
Any experiences are very welcome here.

Keep rocking

Bernd

musicoverall
09-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks for your input.I might check out some of the Lyra's or the Sumiko celebration. Have absolutly no knowledge of Denon Cartridges.
Got plenty of time. I find this searching very exciting. Who knows what gem one comes across.
Any experiences are very welcome here.

Keep rocking

Bernd

I found the Sumiko Celebration too colored to consider. Mushy. Rolled off. Like they were trying way too hard to make it sound "musical" as opposed to "accurate". I much prefer the Lyra's or the Benz's but I think that Shelter is calling your name! It's a great cartridge, among the best I've heard but at a more sensible price. It's my current reference and rests with my SOTA Cosmos/Graham 2.2 setup.

Bernd
09-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks for that.
I am using the Shelter 901 at the moment and like it very much. The cartridge has only 40 hours on it at the moment. I am just looking ahead for what else is about and to get some info from fellow users.
Peace

Bernd