newbie speakers and amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie speakers and amp

horozum
09-22-2005, 08:53 PM
This hobby seems to be a slipery slope. I listen to mostly jazz and classical and a few dvds.I dont watch action dvds and I dont know how much better Woody Allen would sound in 5.1. So I bought a pioneer sxv1014 receiver for the AB feature and maybe 5.1 ht.

Then I slipped a little further cause I cant resist a deal. I was going to buy a couple of paradigm studio 20 but I read that meadowlark went under so I just ordered a pair of half price Kestrel 2s. I am not sure if I need a sub with these. Can I later buy a center channel from another brand to go along with the Kestrels or should I buy one of their remaining cc's?

How will the receiver pair with the speakers? I still have the option of returning the pioneer, but I am afraid if I spend too much more, I will be living with my speakers and my wife will be living with her mother. Is there a better amp to power the Kestrels without breaking the bank? . :confused: :confused: thanks Bill

PAT.P
09-22-2005, 09:53 PM
horozum The main speaker should match with the centre channel .You could add a sub later if needed.Cant give you advice on receiver ,I had a Sony 5.1 and was'nt happy with it (gave it to my 8 year old son) Bought a Yamaha 7.1 and have 9 speaker and two sub hookup on it and its great .Yamaha have the least problem ,more format and mine has the auto set up (with mic) save alot of time.Please put the speaker spec ,this is the only way to see what kind of power you need.How many ohm?

kexodusc
09-23-2005, 02:14 AM
This hobby seems to be a slipery slope. I listen to mostly jazz and classical and a few dvds.I dont watch action dvds and I dont know how much better Woody Allen would sound in 5.1. So I bought a pioneer sxv1014 receiver for the AB feature and maybe 5.1 ht.

Then I slipped a little further cause I cant resist a deal. I was going to buy a couple of paradigm studio 20 but I read that meadowlark went under so I just ordered a pair of half price Kestrel 2s. I am not sure if I need a sub with these. Can I later buy a center channel from another brand to go along with the Kestrels or should I buy one of their remaining cc's?

How will the receiver pair with the speakers? I still have the option of returning the pioneer, but I am afraid if I spend too much more, I will be living with my speakers and my wife will be living with her mother. Is there a better amp to power the Kestrels without breaking the bank? . :confused: :confused: thanks Bill

LOL...Your Pioneer receiver will have plenty of real world power, plenty of it. I'm not at all familiar with your speakers, but I will agree with Pat P, if you think you will get into home theater, definitely get the matching center channel. You'll thank yourself later.

As for subs, they are great for bass reinforcement. But I'd wait and see if you're happy with what you've got. If your speakers are anything close to the Studio 20's or better, I think you'll enjoy them.