Home Audio system for 5k? for ht [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio system for 5k? for ht

Supernoob
09-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all,
After reading posts for the last couple of days on what the best speakers would be and what a good receiver would be. im going to just throw it out there. I am looking to buy a Very nice sound package for my tv/dvd player and am wondering if you all could agree on what the best buy for a 5.1 system. do i need a seperate amp or is just a receiver ok? any help would be greatly appreciated. I was looking to spend about $5G canadian.. Also are magnepans that great? would they work into the equation?

thanks.

paul_pci
09-22-2005, 10:21 PM
First you want to budget, then you want to research, then you want to audition. By budgeting, I mean, splitting the 5k into parts. For instance, you might wish to spend between $700-$1000 (sorry I only know US dollars) for a receiver and the remainder of a budget for speakers and the subwoofer. You could budget $500 for a sub and have $3500 for five speakers. Then you research, what kind of speakers are best for your room and then which speakers fit your budget. Then you go audition (the fun and nerve racking part). I know what I'd do with 5k, but it's not what you'd do, because I know what I want in a sound system, etc. which will likely be different from what you want, etc.

Good luck.

PAT.P
09-23-2005, 04:49 AM
Supernoob

Size of room ,towers or bookshelf ?.I know if I had that kind of money to spend ( my $$$ went on a new roof and Revenue Canada) I buy a Adcom Home theater Tuner/Pre-amp & Adcom Seven channel amp .For a good receiver I go with a Yamaha ,and with the auto setting make it a breeze to set .I would go for the 7.1 .As for speaker its all up to your ears,I like to get speaker that are the most imaging .I have Paradigm ,Energy, axiom ,Jbl but my main system is Dahlquist and these are compare to Paradigm Monitor .There a store in Ottawa that are clearing them out ,they also sale Energy (on sale also) I always buy their floor model (full warranty) check out their clearance section www.audioshop.on.ca

Supernoob
09-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Supernoob

Size of room ,towers or bookshelf ?.I know if I had that kind of money to spend ( my $$$ went on a new roof and Revenue Canada) I buy a Adcom Home theater Tuner/Pre-amp & Adcom Seven channel amp .For a good receiver I go with a Yamaha ,and with the auto setting make it a breeze to set .I would go for the 7.1 .As for speaker its all up to your ears,I like to get speaker that are the most imaging .I have Paradigm ,Energy, axiom ,Jbl but my main system is Dahlquist and these are compare to Paradigm Monitor .There a store in Ottawa that are clearing them out ,they also sale Energy (on sale also) I always buy their floor model (full warranty) check out their clearance section www.audioshop.on.ca
Towers sound nice... maybe i should change the post to "What would you do with the money and why." :). Is 7.1 That much better than 5.1? this is mainly for movies etc. so i am wondering if i really need that. also. do i need a seperate amp? I dont need the sound to blow my socks off. but i do wish to have Crisp clean mind blowing in the quality sense sound. Keep them coming people!!

PAT.P
09-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Towers sound nice... maybe i should change the post to "What would you do with the money and why." :). Is 7.1 That much better than 5.1? this is mainly for movies etc. so i am wondering if i really need that. also. do i need a seperate amp? I dont need the sound to blow my socks off. but i do wish to have Crisp clean mind blowing in the quality sense sound. Keep them coming people!!
The 7.1 format is great if you have the room.You have two more speaker in front for Pressence speaker (ambient effects created by DSP sound fields) The surround back speakers outputs the surround back channel included in Dolby Digital Ex or DTS -ES software.The towers are great for the mains if you have the place .You dont need a seperate amp ,there plenty good receiver with full feature I love the Yamaha .With the 7.1 you could build up as needed.You could still set it up for 5.1. I would buy towers for front with matching centre channel and for the back on wall speekers are great .I use a pair of surround selectable (direct or ambient) rear surround.The choice of speakers is up to your ears to decide ,you want a speaker to be imaging .