RM10 woofer stops responding to bass? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RM10 woofer stops responding to bass?

lookoftoday
09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I've bought the Polk Audio RM10 home theatre system and am using it with a Harman/Kardon AVR135 receiver... the front speakers are set to LARGE and SUB is set to OFF. The wiring goes from the front speakers to the sub input then the output from the sub goes to the speakers (recommended setup).

I am having a problem where the sub stops responding to any bass after some time or when there is quite a bit of bass (but not too much).. it just gives up and has to be powered off and back on to resume the bass playback and will soon stop again.

Help???

Thanks in advance!

LMB
09-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Set your speakers to small connect your sub to your receiver with a Y cable, I normally do not recommend monster cable their sub cable is decent
Find out the frequency response of your speakers then set your crossover in the receiver to that

have fun

lookoftoday
09-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Can you please explain how I should connect the sub to the receiver? To what output? SUB/LFE?

I'm confused as to exactly what you are suggesting.

LMB
09-22-2005, 08:25 PM
You should connect your speakers to the back of your receiver surround sound and the sub to sub input of the receiver
Your Harmon manual should have the proper setup instructions for 5.1 surround or their website

Once you have it setup through your receiver should sound great

BRANDONH
09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Can you please explain how I should connect the sub to the receiver? To what output? SUB/LFE?

I'm confused as to exactly what you are suggesting.

where is says
PRE-OUT
SUB WOOFER

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/QuickStart%20Guide/AVR135rear.pdf

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDisplay.mpt?ProductID=25614&FEID=270&PMNID=523&SWPC_WOOC=1#FID_920

Select additional views

lookoftoday
09-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I see, okay, so the normal sub connection. Should I use the LFE input or the L/R on the sub?

mixadude
09-23-2005, 04:06 PM
LFE .

LMB
09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Use the L/R on the sub

lookoftoday
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I've tried both and unfortunately neither fixes the stopping problem, the sub seems to give up when any "heavyish" bass is played through it. Any sudden or loud part in music will cause it to completely stop, sometimes just powering it off won't fix the problem too... can take a few power offs or some waiting. :-/

Its like something is wrong with a circuit that is supposed to be limiting the sub from being blown I guess, it is activated way too easily. If I run the sub volume waaaay down (ie. 10% or less) it will work somewhat, but then there is basically no bass being produced making the sub useless.

Does that make any sense, is that a possible problem?

LMB
09-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Do you have an auto shut off? If you do, when a signal is not being sent to the sub it will turn off
Did you set your speakers to small? Set the crossover to 80 or 100 and find the sub channel level in your receiver and if its at -10db turn it up to +5db and turn it down if it's to much base slowly turn channel level down to your listening preference. If this does not work then take the unit back

good luck