DVD player...need input [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD player...need input

Willow
01-08-2004, 09:45 AM
I will be bringing our old DVD player to the bedroom and will need to purchase a new one for the family room. The problem we have with the old one (its 2yrs old) by toshiba is that during a movie (certain ones) the sound cuts out and the movie skips a couple secs. I am gathering it has something to do with the player reading the multy-levels written. Now the old one is not progressive-scan, I know for the new one its a must but what players can you recommend in the 200-300$ CAD range, with either optical or co-ax, with atleast s-video. 6 channel is not needed at this time but may be an option in the future. And I don't want it to cut OUT !!

some I have been looking at are panny,sony,yamaha,toshiba and samsung.

any input greatly appreciated

TinHere
01-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Check out the Pioneer 563A.

DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, Video CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW Playback Plays Digital picture CD (JPEG) 54MHz/10-bit video D/A Converter Selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive scan requires an HD-compatible TV) PureCinema de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing Virtual Dolby Digital for enhanced 2-speaker sound Built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoding with 5.1-channel output Plays only Region1 DVDs Optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and 480i/480p component video) Remote control 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter Dimensions: 17 1/16"W x 3 1/4"H x 11"DHappy hunting.

Tarheel_
01-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I strongly second Tinhere,
the Pioneer 563a is a wonderful piece of equipment. I received this unit for Christmas and it continues to amaze... with progressive scan, DVD-A and SACD it is as future-proof as your going to find. And for fun, compare it to Denon's 2200 model.

Willow
01-09-2004, 05:30 AM
thanks guys I will check it out this weekend

spf
01-09-2004, 09:09 AM
A word of caution when comparing two DVD players based solely on its statistical specs. They are a good starting point for comparision but should not be a major factor in your purchasing decision.

First off, one quick check of my profile will show that I indeed have the Denon 2200 in my HT but I will try to keep my bias under control :)

When looking at DVD players, I had the opportunity to audition quite a few worthy players. In this generation of DVD players, the consumer is always going to be the winner because the level of performance that you can get for the money is staggering. Case and point is the Pioneer 563a, an amazing deal. In comparing the two however, I found the Denon was the superior player in both video (marginally) and in audio (quite a bit better). These are only opinions mind you and of course I paid more than double for the 2200. I think my point is to audition the players that you have short-listed and pick the one that fits your HT the best......with all factors included. (Budget, features, quality, WAF, brand dependability, etc.)

Good luck in your purchase

Shane

Crunchyriff
01-09-2004, 11:46 AM
If you would be so kind as to check out my "Toshiba 5109 vs Pioneer 563" thread, (If you haven't already) this thread may help your decision.

And, as already mentioned, don't get totally focused on spec. sheet info. It's a nice place to start, but in my experience they are NOT always an accurate indicator of "real-world" performance.

God Bless.

recoveryone
01-09-2004, 05:56 PM
If you want to go under a $100, look for a Pioneer 525 (ebay best place to look) it plays everything except MP3