Muse - More Radiohead than Radiohead? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Muse - More Radiohead than Radiohead?

kingcrim05
09-22-2005, 07:27 AM
My brother just got me hooked on these guys and i absolutely cannot stop listening to their "Absolution" cd. Their website ( www.muse.mu ) allows you to listen to anything in their back catalog that you wish to...

I had never heard of these guys before but apparently some of my friends who only listen to the radio have. How does that work? What's the story behind these guys?

-Jar-
09-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Interesting mix of Queen and Radiohead if you ask me. They definately lift some from the more proggy, harder rocking Radiohead songs, not as much from the newer more experimental stuff. I dig ABSOLUTION as well, I think it could have been recorded a little better, but that's just me. I haven't heard any of their back catalog, maybe I'll go check it out. As for the Radiohead comparisons, here's a thread you might want to check out from another board:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135776

There's been a couple threads on here about them too, but they were a while ago, you'd have to search.

-jar

Mike
09-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Yorke's evil twin as somebody said in a review somewhere. That last album Absolution is pretty good, musically all over the place proggy, rocky and completely ott in places. I find it hard to listen to the whole album in one go but patches of it are fine, some very nice guitar in places.

Cheers
Mike

Dusty Chalk
09-22-2005, 10:51 AM
I completely disagree with the Radiohead analogy. The guy's voice sounds kind of like Yorke, but that's it. Musically, they come more from the Placebo camp than anything.

Maybe The Bends, but it doesn't sound anything like OK Computer/Kid A/Amnesiac/etc. But that's a great big maybe.

PS I dig both.

BillB
09-23-2005, 03:52 AM
I agree with Dusty somewhat that it's the voice that mainly draws the comparisons with Radiohead but they do sound like PH Radiohead on occasion and, now that I think of it, like Placebo (when they were good).

If you like Absolution check out their first album, only available on import here in the States.

Bill

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2005, 06:01 AM
I've also really been enjoying Absolution. I totally picked up on the Queen influence on first listen. I don't know enough Radiohead to comment on that comparison. I do know that this is one excellent piece of work. Although the recording quality falls a little flat for me. I'd like to hear some of those bass lines pop out a bit more.

Apparently, this is their fourth album.