Uriah Heep fans... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uriah Heep fans...

Finch Platte
01-08-2004, 06:58 AM
...as I was hand-me-downed an old Pioneer receiver, I can finally hook up my turntable and dust off some of my records *coff, coff*

Among the detritus was this 1st solo release from Ken Hensley. As I remember, it wasn't too bad. I especially liked Rain, which UH covered earlier on The Magician's Birthday. But, we'll see how the album is after blowing off the cobwebs. Some of these things don't age well.

Anyone want a cassette copy? ;)

fp

Hyfi
01-08-2004, 07:30 AM
I used to have that album and my tape is dead. I would love a copy again. Truly a beautiful album.

Dave_G
01-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I like UH a lot, what is this album like?

Is it classic Heep sound?

Who does the lead vocal?

Dave

Finch Platte
01-08-2004, 08:14 AM
I like UH a lot, what is this album like?

Is it classic Heep sound?

Who does the lead vocal?

Dave

I had no idea you liked UH! :rolleyes:

It sounds a lot like UH. Why wouldn't it? Produced by Gerry Bron, with Dave Paul/Gary Thain on bass and Lee Kerslake on drums? Ken does everything else- including guitars and vocals. To my ears, he sounds very close to Byron, altho he doesn't venture much into the upper range of vocal histrionics, as Byron liked to do.

Check out allmusic.com- I think they gave it 3 stars.

Are you hinting you'd like a cassette copy?

fp

-Jar-
01-08-2004, 08:37 AM
"Lady In Black"

She came to me one morning, one lonely Sunday morning,
her long hair flowing in the mid-winter wind.
I know not how she found me, for in darkness I was walking,
and destruction lay around me from a fight I could not win.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men
to fight and kill their brothers without thought of men or god.
And I begged her give me horses to trample down my enemies,
so eager was my passion to devour this waste of life.

But she would not think of battle that reduces men to animals,
so easy to begin and yet impossible to end.
For she the mother of all men had counciled me so wisely that
I feared to walk alone again and asked if she would stay.

"Oh lady lend your hand," I cried, "Oh let me rest here at your side."
"Have faith and trust in me," she said and filled my heart with life.
There is no strength in numbers. I've no such misconceptions.
But when you need me be assured I won't be far away.

Thus having spoke she turned away and though I found no words to say
I stood and watched until I saw her black cloak disappear.
My labor is no easier, but now I know I'm not alone.
I find new heart each time I think upon that windy day.
And if one day she comes to you drink deeply from her words so wise.
Take courage from her as your prize and say hello for me.

one of my favorite Ken Hensley songs.. from Heep's SALISBURY.

-jar

ForeverAutumn
01-08-2004, 09:31 AM
"Lady In Black"

one of my favorite Ken Hensley songs.. from Heep's SALISBURY.

-jar

I don't know the song. But what fantastic lyrics!

DarrenH
01-08-2004, 09:49 AM
"Lady In Black" one of my favorite Ken Hensley songs.. from Heep's SALISBURY.

-jar

Salisbury is one great, kick arse album. I don't know what I like better, that or Look At Yourself which is equally fantastic.

Finch, iffin' you got no takers on that cassette, I'll be takin' it.

Darren

jbangelfish
01-08-2004, 09:55 AM
They had recently gotten a new lead singer, so I guess this must have been Hensley. They put on a great show and the new singer did a very good job with their old stuff. These guys were one of my favorite bands back in the 70's.
Good luck to Finch Platte with the old vinyl. Some of it did not age well at all, too bad as the sound can be great. Has anyone done a good job with classic rock music when putting it on CD? Any copies that I ever bought were horrible so I keep hoping someone will get it right. It's easier to find CD's in good shape than it is to find perfect or even NOS vinyl but the reproductions of old rock music to CD have all been terrible in my experience. I do buy NOS vinyl when I can find them but this is obviously from a limited supply.
Bill

-Jar-
01-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Salisbury is one great, kick arse album. I don't know what I like better, that or Look At Yourself which is equally fantastic.

Finch, iffin' you got no takers on that cassette, I'll be takin' it.

Darren

I was a little miffed that the version of SALISBURY I picked up didn't have "Bird of Prey" - but I still have it on the "Best of Uriah Heep" (from 1976) album.. that scratchy old thing must have gotten a thousand plays back in my high school days.. it's a great collection for anyone who's curious about the band. It concentrates on their first 5 albums or so..

-jar

DarrenH
01-08-2004, 11:33 AM
I was a little miffed that the version of SALISBURY I picked up didn't have "Bird of Prey" - but I still have it on the "Best of Uriah Heep" (from 1976) album.. that scratchy old thing must have gotten a thousand plays back in my high school days.. it's a great collection for anyone who's curious about the band. It concentrates on their first 5 albums or so..

-jar

You musta got the US version of Salisbury. Bird Of Prey appears on the US version of UH's first album which was simply titled Uriah Heep or the UK version of Salisbury.

I guess that sorta thing was common back in those days having different art work and track listings between UK and US releases.

The recent Castle remasters did away with all that nonsense and includes all the tracks relevant to their respective albums.

Darren

tentoze
01-08-2004, 11:35 AM
You musta got the US version of Salisbury. Bird Of Prey appears on the US version of UH's first album which was simply titled Uriah Heep or the UK version of Salisbury.

I guess that sorta thing was common back in those days having different art work and track listings between UK and US releases.

The recent Castle remasters did away with all that nonsense and includes all the tracks relevant to their respective albums.

Darren

Ya'll are really making me itchy to go find some remastered UH and crank it up..........always thought the original vinyl release of Look At Yourself was an excellent sounding recording.................

Dave_G
01-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I have been listening to Uriah Heep since 1972.

I used to pretend to be David Byron and my best friend Mark would be Mick Box and we would "perform" Uriah Heep songs in front of the mirror.

Mainly we used to play that killer "Live" 1972 album.

Byron had pipes that could rival any rocker.

Mastercylynder said he was a dick, though.

Dave

DPM
01-09-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't know the song. But what fantastic lyrics!

...someone needs a Uriah Heep comp. What say you Forever Autumn? I think they have a lot of tunes you would enjoy.

Dave M

DPM
01-09-2004, 12:56 AM

Darren

The weird thing is the version of Bird Of Prey that's on Salisbury (UK edition) is not the same as the version on Uriah Heep. The vocals are different, and the mix isn't quite the same either. I think that the band recorded several takes and chose different versions for each of those albums. Personally, I prefer the US version of Bird Of Prey available on Uriah Heep and that "best of" collection from 1976. The vocals are reigned in a bit (which, in this case, is a good thing).

Dave M

Dave_G
01-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I've got about 20 Uriah Heep cd's, and for the most part the new stuff (i.e. no David Byron) is for the most part ho-hum. I don't know what it is, but Byron's voice had some magical quality to it for me. Too bad he snuffed it, eh.

I don't know why I have all that stuff. I never listen to it. (the non-Byron Heep) Well, I hardly ever listen to it.

I have one of their dvd's, too, it's pretty good.

Maybe it's time for me to dust off all those other Heep titles and give them a whirl. One of them has John Wetton on lead vocal.

Anyway, great thread, good to see some classic rock bands getting some discussion.

Dave

Dave_G
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Wonderworld is the last Heep title that had David on it.

Abominog is weird musically, and that cover is plain and simple gawd awful.

I guess that critter looks like an "Abominog".

Dave

-Jar-
01-09-2004, 07:47 AM
I've got about 20 Uriah Heep cd's, and for the most part the new stuff (i.e. no David Byron) is for the most part ho-hum. I don't know what it is, but Byron's voice had some magical quality to it for me. Too bad he snuffed it, eh.

I don't know why I have all that stuff. I never listen to it. (the non-Byron Heep) Well, I hardly ever listen to it.

I have one of their dvd's, too, it's pretty good.

Maybe it's time for me to dust off all those other Heep titles and give them a whirl. One of them has John Wetton on lead vocal.

Anyway, great thread, good to see some classic rock bands getting some discussion.

Dave

I have RETURN TO FANTASY.. which.. I never really got into as much as the early stuff from the BEST OF album. I don't know why I bought that one instead of WONDERWORLD... I just remember a time in the early 80's when even the mall record store had all these HEEP albums for like 3 bucks a piece. If I wasn't on the budget of a 14 year old kid I could have cleaned up... Maybe I'll pull out that album and give it a spin sometime soon. Being a metal fan back then, I guess it just didn't rock my socks off like their BEST OF did. Maybe I'll get out ABOMINOG again.. winner of the weirdest album cover ever in my book.

I also had a live cd from the late 70's with a different singer, but I sold it a long long time ago.

-jar

Canadian Heepguy
11-27-2011, 04:12 AM
a couple of notes....

Bird of Prey was included on the North American version of the first album [titled Uriah Heep], an alternate mix or take of it was included on the UK version of Heep's 2nd album [Salisbury]

David Byron was there til 1976, last album was High & Mighty. Great album, far from the early heavier stuff, but i love it.

Anyone interested in checking out something interesting - search for 'Uriah Heep Legends' on youtube. there's a few clips, band includes > Ken Hensley, Paul Newton, Lee Kerslake and John Lawton [subbed on occasion for Erik Haukkson]

3LB
11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
What about Into The Wild from this year? I heard a few tracks - they were ok, but not being a big Heep fan, I couldn't distinguish it from a modern day Deep Purple effort.

MasterCylinder
11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Byron had pipes that could rival any rocker.

Mastercylynder said he was a dick, though.

Dave

LOL !!! You remembered !

I agree the guy could sing................I worked a live tour with UH in 1973...........sound roadie.
Yes, Byron was a total a$$hole................he loved to break our mike stands every night.
Loved our slant monitors so much he wanted to buy two new ones..............we gave him a price of $500 each but we did not have any new ones in the warehouse............being the a$$ he was, he "demanded" that we build two new monitors immediately and have them shipped to one of the tour cities ASAP............we found two old models, sprayed a new coat of paint on them, and charged him $500 each anyway.

Canadian Heepguy
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
i enjoyed Into The Wild a lot more than 2008's Wake The Sleeper. A bit more varied. Ken's latest album is called Faster. Has some spectacular stuff on it, as well as a remake of Circle Of Hands w/ orchestra.
MasterCylinder, would like to get in touch sometime.